Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-10, 01:48 PM   #1
BigBurlyBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default The Rods Taper.

A moderate taper should be good for about everything right? And the fast and Xfast are more for Soft plastics?
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 02:22 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I generally like a moderate or moderate fast action for moving baits like spinnerbaits and crankbaits. I like fast actions for bottom baits like t-rigs, c-rigs and jigs. I do use fast actions for hard jerkbaits and most topwaters. In fishing, there are no rules, everyone has different preferences.
Old 09-06-10, 02:48 PM   #3
Tavery5

When I hear moderate taper I generally think of Crankbait. In my opinion I think the Fast taper is more of a general purpose. Everyone has their own opinion. If your looking for a good all pupose rod, I would suggest a 7ft MH fast, pair it with a good quality 6.3:1 reel and you can fish just about anything other than very large, very light and very deep.

My .02
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 03:12 PM   #4
Raul

Not a rule but a suggestion:

Single hook baits ---> Fast/ Extra Fast

Treble hook baits ---> Moderate

If can´t or are not willing to have technique/bait specific rods you can have multipurpose rods by mainting the same action but with different power rating and play with the power rather than with the action.

Single hook baits ---> MH / H

Treble hook baits ---> ML / M

For years I´ve fished cranks with a Medium Fast rod and it has worked well, if I want/need to go light on the single hook baits I just cut away my crank from the medium power and then the rod becomes a finesse rod.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 03:20 PM   #5
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Not a rule but a suggestion:

Single hook baits ---> Fast/ Extra Fast

Treble hook baits ---> Moderate

If can´t or are not willing to have technique/bait specific rods you can have multipurpose rods by mainting the same action but with different power rating and play with the power rather than with the action.

Single hook baits ---> MH / H

Treble hook baits ---> ML / M

For years I´ve fished cranks with a Medium Fast rod and it has worked well, if I want/need to go light on the single hook baits I just cut away my crank from the medium power and then the rod becomes a finesse rod.
Raul this is a very good point, you can also offset some of the differences by using line that has more or less stretch.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 08:02 PM   #6
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Yea fishing is versatile so you can really use whatever works best for you
I personally like to use a rod with a fast action for soft plastics,jigs,topwater and buzzbaits.I like a moderate action rod when using crankbaits.As far as spinnerbaits go I am still experimenting.

Tavery5 your right you can pretty much always compensate by using line with more stretch.For example I have met people who use Monofilament for topwater with a fast action rod and I have also met people who use braid for topwater on a moderate action rod.
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 09:01 PM   #7
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I generally like a moderate or moderate fast action for moving baits like spinnerbaits and crankbaits. I like fast actions for bottom baits like t-rigs, c-rigs and jigs. I do use fast actions for hard jerkbaits and most topwaters. In fishing, there are no rules, everyone has different preferences.
Raul, you are absolutely right. I failed to mention in the above statement that the rod in question is a fairly light powered medium. Using a heavier powered, fast action rod for the above technique would be less than ideal. I do like the fast action because I feel it aids twitching and popping with these baits.

Tav, you are dead on about the line as well.

Last edited by Jrob78; 09-06-10 at 09:09 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 11:00 AM   #8
walkeraviator

Im with Raul... single hooks i like a fast tip... treble hooks i like a moderate tip... if i am forced to use a fast tip w/ treble hooks i am sure to use mono to give it some give... also learned that fish with soft mouths, you should let em have some give... lost a few speckled trout using a fast tip rod and low stretch line... it tears a huge hole in their mouth making teh barb useless...

with that said, i use a 5'6" Medium Moderate fo treble topwater baits... and am looking into a pair of 7" BPS crankin stiks for cranbaits.. 1 Medium and the other Medium-Heavy...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 02:32 PM   #9
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Raul this is a very good point, you can also offset some of the differences by using line that has more or less stretch.
How I roll:

My good sticks ( IMXs ) are for baits where sensitivity is important: jigs, soft plastics; line: I´m not a fan of FC and braided, I like copoly for that purpose ( CXX, Hybrid )

My less than good sticks ( GL2s ) are for baits where a lot of sensitivity is not as important: spinnerbaits & cranks; line for spinnerbaits ---> resistant to abrassion nylon ( Trilene XT ), line for cranks ---> more stretchy nylon ( Big Game ) plus a lighter drag setting. Lighter rod + stretchy line + drag on the lighter side + razor sharp hooks on my cranks = seldomly loose a fish, the entire sistem works as a shock absorber.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.