Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-11, 07:29 PM   #1
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default B.A.S.S. AOY Changes.......Again!

Change is good, right? Going back to the way it was.

BassFan Article

I am sure Skeet Reese is somewhere, steaming mad and swinging at cats.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 07:37 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like how they got quotes from several folks, but not skeet. I wonder if his answer had to be censored?
Old 01-20-11, 08:19 PM   #3
CiK

Just saw this on BassFan too. Missed it the first time around.

KVD, Skeet weigh in 1/20/2011

The two anglers most affected by the 2-year experiment of deciding the Bassmaster Angler of the Year (AOY) via a two-event, post-season shootout were Skeet Reese and Kevin VanDam. Reese was atop the points list at the end of the regular season in both 2009 and '10, but KVD copped the titles in the post-season.
Neither could be reached in time for inclusion in the reaction story to B.A.S.S.' decision to return to the previous format of determining the AOY solely by regular-season points, but both checked in today. Below are their comments.

Kevin VanDam (6-time AOY)
"I've been doing this for 20 years and the system has gone through a lot of changes in that time. The first year I won it was under some other format, then it was points over six events and points over eight events and points over 11 events and then the post-season. I've won it pretty much every way and the times I finished 2nd or whatever, maybe I would've won it under a different format.

"People are going to make changes, trying to do things differently. The last 2 years they tried to create some excitement with the post-season, and I think they did that. We all knew the format going in and we all played by the same rules. In that regard, I don't see how any angler can have much to say, but it's great for fans because it gives them something to talk about.

"All of the (AOYs) I've won, I value them all the same because I won them under the rules we were fishing under. I'm sure there are going to be even more changes to come at some point."

Skeet Reese (2007 AOY)
"I think they made the right decision and I'm happy to see it go back to the traditional format that was used for so many years. It takes it back to its purest form, and I'm excited about that.

"It's bittersweet – I'm not going to deny that. I'm torn about the last 2 years because I was, so to speak, the sacrificial angler. But in the big picture, if I had to be that one angler who people looked at and realized that this format wasn't working and that we needed to go back to where we were, then so be it. I know what I've done and most other people know what I've done. It's just that I won't have those trophies on the mantel to look at when I'm old and crippled.

"It is what it is and what's happened has happened. Am I a little sour about it? Absolutely, but it's done. Kevin did what he had to do and played within the parameters he was given, and it's certainly not his fault. All I can do is go out this year and try to do it again."
Old 01-20-11, 08:21 PM   #4
CiK

I am glad they are changing it back, but I agree with both of them............the rules at the time were the cards everybody was dealt to play.
Old 01-21-11, 10:41 AM   #5
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The best decision BASS has made in a long time! Kudos to Jerry and the new crew.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 02:13 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think this is the first of many steps in the right direction for B.A.S.S. I always enjoyed the Elites more than the FLW Tour, but there are a few things that needed to be addressed for sure.
Old 01-22-11, 01:07 AM   #7
everettvet

I am very happy to see them go back. It is the best for the elite series. It will be an interesting year!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 10:30 AM   #8
nofearengineer

Personally, I was hoping for a "thunderdome" season finale.

Two anglers enter, one angler leaves.
Old 01-22-11, 08:32 PM   #9
tim4081

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Personally, I was hoping for a "thunderdome" season finale.

Two anglers enter, one angler leaves.
Great idea Wonder what the "weapon" of choice would be? Cranks at thirty paces?
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 10:34 PM   #10
3dkicker

Finally some common sense!!! The format for the last two years was stupid and Van Dam explained the stupidity perfectly "The last 2 years they tried to create some excitement with the post-season....". AOL isn't about excitement at the end of the season. It's about the person who did well all year long. The classic is about excitement at the end of the season but.....that's right....they don't do that anymore at the end of the season. Let's do the Classic at the beginning of the following season so they can fish very limited locations in cold weather in hopes that they'll catch huge sacks of fish, set records, and draw thousands to the tv's to watch horrible coverage.
Hmmmm I wonder if Jerry has figured this all out and may make some changes back to a better format....maybe one that had worked for what? 30 something years.
Old 01-23-11, 11:21 AM   #11
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Finally some common sense!!! The format for the last two years was stupid and Van Dam explained the stupidity perfectly "The last 2 years they tried to create some excitement with the post-season....". AOL isn't about excitement at the end of the season. It's about the person who did well all year long. The classic is about excitement at the end of the season but.....that's right....they don't do that anymore at the end of the season. Let's do the Classic at the beginning of the following season so they can fish very limited locations in cold weather in hopes that they'll catch huge sacks of fish, set records, and draw thousands to the tv's to watch horrible coverage.
Hmmmm I wonder if Jerry has figured this all out and may make some changes back to a better format....maybe one that had worked for what? 30 something years.
I must agree. But, I didn't like the Classic in the dead of the summer either. Wish they would make it an early fall deal.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 12:47 PM   #12
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
I must agree. But, I didn't like the Classic in the dead of the summer either. Wish they would make it an early fall deal.
I agree......
Old 01-23-11, 02:04 PM   #13
walkeraviator

Maybe we can get Jerry McKinnis to beat some sense into Mike Helton and those boys that ruined NASCAR.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 02:33 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Maybe we can get Jerry McKinnis to beat some sense into Mike Helton and those boys that ruined NASCAR.
LOL True dat!
Old 01-24-11, 04:29 PM   #15
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
If they had to have the classic in the summer then pick one of the northern lakes with the smallies and largemouths. Fall would make more sense. Start the season in the south in late Feb early March. Work up north till the summer and then move back towards the south in the fall.

It would be interesting to sit in on the meetings where they decide these things.
Old 01-25-11, 09:57 AM   #16
gottafish
BassFishin.Com Member

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6041382

Here is the complete explanation.
Old 01-25-11, 12:39 PM   #17
walkeraviator

I like the fan participation at the end of the season. I think they are catching on that FanBase is what makes any sport sanctioning body successful. This is what NASCAR forgot when they started lettin Toyotas into a series whose fanbase is people who believe in american cars.

Can you imagine what it will be like for the guy who gets drawn to be KVD's virtual co-angler for the all-star? I would have a heart attack.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.