Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-06, 01:04 PM   #1
Denny_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default how do you know when to flip or to pitch?

How do you know when to pitch or to flip?.I was watching fishing and I seen guys on there doing both and I thought how do you know when to
do either one of them.Is it just prefrence.I brought 3 coffee cans home from work and I'm gonna go buy a baitcaster soon but for know Jb is gonna let me borrow one,He let me borrow one before and I felt really comfortable with.I'm really really excited to use this application in fishing,
just another weapon I will have....I'm freakin pumped!!!!!!!!!!!.I cant wait to throw some jigs w/ trailors on them.I hope everyone is well,I'm great.I cant decide who to root for in the Super Bowl??????????? .Ben's my Boy
but the Seahawks Haven't been to the big dance yet.....ohh well.
Denny
Denny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 01:14 PM   #2
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Denny,
I heard that with stained water, you can get closer, which would allow the flip cast technique. In clear water you want to back off from the fish, so the pitch comes in handy. I personally prefer the flip, but here, clear water dominates, which forces me to pitch most of the time.
Old 01-29-06, 01:16 PM   #3
bassinbob

Denny, pitchin is when you are a safe distance away from any type of cover and you don't want to be close for fear of spooking the fish. Flippin is when you are closer to cover. In either case unless you are casting to a certain spot in the cover you want to go from the outside of the cover to the center of the laydown, grass, etc. Water clairity plays an important role in using the methods.

The Steelers are on fire. The Bus has arrived in Detroit.

Bob
Old 01-29-06, 02:53 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

flipin in real mudy water when you are trying to pry big bass off trees. and pitch when the water is stained or clearing..

denny
get the van dam video-pitching to heavy hitters-the hands down best video i have ever seen on the pitching/flipping with out trying to sell you some thing. i highly recomend it to every body..

zooker
Old 01-29-06, 03:06 PM   #5
Denny_K

Default thanks guys!!!!

Thanks for the info guys and I will try to find the video.You guys will see me more on here as it gets closer to spring .
Denny
Old 01-29-06, 09:29 PM   #6
skeeter944

i think they covered it! i prefer to pitch,not flip,probably cause i bank fish alot.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 11:36 PM   #7
Fish2win

When the fish are shallow and it is a bright day or the back side of a cold front.Muddy water is not a must but sure helps things.Muddy or stained water is great for flippmg. Same conditions and clear water pitch instead of flip. Pitching is the same thing with different mechanics to the presentation. Pitching allows you to stay off the fish while flipping puts you very close. Both are reflex strike type presentations that can be used in very heavy cover. Fish2win
Old 01-30-06, 03:59 AM   #8
islandbass

Yep, they covered it but The 'Hawks are gonna eat some steel next week!

Yes sir, I'm from Seattle and yes, we have bass too.
Old 01-30-06, 07:17 PM   #9
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

I prefer to pitch when i need to just because i cant flip quietly, i can get it there real accurately but when it hits the water it sounds like i just threw a cinderblock in.
Old 01-30-06, 10:03 PM   #10
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinfishin9
I prefer to pitch when i need to just because i cant flip quietly, i can get it there real accurately but when it hits the water it sounds like i just threw a cinderblock in.
It sounds like your keeping your rod tip too high on the jig entry. When your jig reaches its destination , or target you can thumb the spool to stop the jig and then you drop the rod tip as the jig isfalling to the water surface. I disgree with not being able to flip in clear water. I flip 90% of the time jig fishing and it doesn't get much clearer than the waters I fish. Boat position is key to flipping, especially on bright sunny days, you want your shadow behind you, not where your flipping to.Most times I target 4-9 ft depth for flipping, but when the wind is up or its a dark overcast day and they aren't chasing spinnerbaits , go shallow with a jig in 1-4 ft. range.The thing is when to fish a jig and when not to. If your catching fish on senkos and spinnerbaits and crankbaits, don't fish a jig,fish the lures that stay in that water colum,if you fish the upper water colum and nothing is responding to your lure, your next move should be to fish a bottom oriented lure.Once you pattern a few fish as to how they are oriented and in what depth, a jig can boat alot of fish in a hurry, the problem is knowing where the fish are in a huge weedbed that separates alot of fisherman with the jig.I always start flipping a foot outside the weededge, there are always isolated clumps of weeds that will hold fish on them. Then I move to the edge and flip just inside and also just outside the weed edge. and I pitch to weed clumps that appear to be different than the surrounding weeds, something that stands out from the rest of the weeds. I may pitch 4 or 5 times to the same target before moving to a new target.I slowly pick the weedbed apart as I go trying to key in on the depth and where the fish are holding. I hope this helps. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 05:41 PM   #11
Denny_K

Default thanks

Thanks pnj and other very good info
Denny
Old 02-02-06, 09:27 PM   #12
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
flipin in real mudy water when you are trying to pry big bass off trees. and pitch when the water is stained or clearing..

denny
get the van dam video-pitching to heavy hitters-the hands down best video i have ever seen on the pitching/flipping with out trying to sell you some thing. i highly recomend it to every body..

zooker
I bought this video on zook's reccommendation, and it helped me a lot As for when to flip/pitch. Well I pitch more than anything, but have to flip, when the cover is so thick(branches hanging down) all covering your target. I have found both to work in clear or stained water, but if I can reach them from 20 feet away, instead of 5 feet away I will, which means pitching is my favorite.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.