Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-11, 08:48 AM   #1
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default First walleye

Went fishing last night. One small school bass and then nothing for a while, swapped to a buzz bait after full dark and instantly got hookup with walleye. Never caught one before ( don't have them where I grew up ). Never even seen one in the flesh before. Great fight. One thing I learned don't lip grab them like a bass. Looking forward to going after them again as soon as my thumb heals. Damn things got some teeth.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 11:09 AM   #2
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

lol, wow...shoulda shined a light on that first maybe. and ive never seen them fight much at all really. even the 6 lber i caught wasnt that impressive.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 11:28 AM   #3
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

You've experienced more that I ever have with a Walleye. I've never even heard of one being caught on topwater and it fought. Most Walleye feel like your reeling in a log...even the big ones! Congrats!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 11:36 AM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

All of our lakes have walleye, the bigger ones make a huge lunge for the bottom when they get near the boat. We got skunked a few days ago walleye fishing but the week before had 13, man are they killer good to eat
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 12:47 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Tiger, you absolutely have to try them on the table. There is no finer tasting fish. And don't worry about catch and release on walleye where you are. They're almost certainly stockers...that's why they're there.
Old 06-08-11, 01:02 PM   #6
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks NFE. I'll be sure to bring the next ones home for supper. A lot of meat for such a skinny fish. JB you are right on with the final dive just before the boat. Thought I had a bass until he took a nice slice of my thumb. Sure was fun though I guess we all trade pain for pleasure on occasion and I always say "If it
ain't fun, don't do it.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 01:09 PM   #7
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Tiger, you absolutely have to try them on the table. There is no finer tasting fish. And don't worry about catch and release on walleye where you are. They're almost certainly stockers...that's why they're there.
Saugeyes are pretty dern tasty too!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 01:15 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Saugeyes are pretty dern tasty too!
Oh yeah, sauger, saugeyes, walleye...they all fit into the same frying pan.
Old 06-08-11, 01:42 PM   #9
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hmmm could be because they are all related the saugeye being cross between a sauger and a cousin a walleye.
Great eating,any of the three
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 10:33 PM   #10
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Tiger View Post
Went fishing last night. One small school bass and then nothing for a while, swapped to a buzz bait after full dark and instantly got hookup with walleye. Never caught one before ( don't have them where I grew up ). Never even seen one in the flesh before. Great fight. One thing I learned don't lip grab them like a bass. Looking forward to going after them again as soon as my thumb heals. Damn things got some teeth.
Congrats on your first walleye, TT! They are what most folks here in MN fish for. I read recently that only 11% of MN fishermen target bass. I caught my biggest walleye ever in 2008 (6lb 6oz, 26.5") using a black clacking buzzbait from our dock after we had owned our cabin on the lake just over 24 hours! It was too dark for me to even see what had hit my lure and it hit like a ton of bricks and fought hard trying to prevent me from landing it, which is quite different than all the other ones I've caught at or near the bottom of the lake. Anyway, nice going, and remember not to lip the next one you catch!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.