Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-09, 06:23 PM   #1
S4il
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Early spring season bass fishing question.

Finding bass in early spring: (not during the spawn)

So its still quite far away up here in Illinois, I'm looking at another 2+ months of Bitter cold temps until late mid April when the ice melts & it starts warming up, And i never do any good at that time, I'm a pond fisherman, I don't have a boat, so i shore fish only, And i do Damn good in summer threw fall, I catch bass like crazy!, I've out fished guys using live bait, 5ft down the shore from them, I'm not bragging but i will say i have a good understanding of bass fishing in general, but my down fall is not being able too Locate the bass in the early weeks of spring, I'm sure i have it right, and if i don't I'm open to ideas so here it is.

1st: Water temperature

Is it true that this is in fact the most important thing to look at first, Find warmer shallower water, in the mid 50's close to deeper water so that if it does get cold again the bass have deeper water to retreat to, which deeper waters=warmer? right...

The bodies of waters I'm fishing:

Most are small, takes maybe 15-20 min. to walk around the whole thing, Mostly subdivision lakes, some have Creeks, where warmer water will flow into a main part of the lake/pond, I see more Culvert systems than i do creeks up here, because most of these small ponds i fish are fed through other "bigger" ponds, or are man made and connected threw pipes that run under ground to prevent the subdivision homes from being flooded during peek rain season.

Piecing it all together?:

So my question here would be if water temp really is the BIG factor in being able to key in on those early spring bass, before the waters get into the 60's and the spawn kicks off, than what am i doing wrong? Below ill put into summery what i would use when i was going in search of early spring bass (gear wise)

Reel: Pfluger supreme spinning
Rod: 6'6 med action St. Croix triumph
line: 6-8lb Berkley 100% floro (gold/clear)
Lure: *Varies on day to day conditions*

Please note All these lures below I'm practically dead sticking them, not moving them much after the hit the water, working it really slow keeping my finger on the line, and waiting for the slightest *tap*

My first choice: Small northland jig head, with a kahlins single tail grub, usually in colors more natural cause after ice out that water Really clears up in these ponds I'm fishing, ill start off with Gray tones, maybe salt and pepper.

2nd choice: Bitsy bug jig, no rattle, natural craw fish patterns, browns and greens up here guys, I'm not from the south the craws don't turn Bright RED (lol)

3nd choice: If i find some warmer water like in the 60's ill throw a Storm Thunder~stick Jr. Color-anything natural (I make it suspended with Storms lead Stick-on-strips) keeping it in the strike zone longer.

Any thoughts on what i might be doing wrong, let me know, i'm here to learn!
Old 01-02-09, 02:17 PM   #2
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

S4il, I'm from NY and do nearly all of my freshwater fishing just north of the city on the NYC reservoirs, so we're in about the same temp zone. We hope that ice out is early to mid March, but it's been as late as the 1st week of April just a few years ago.

For cold water in the 34-39 degree range I'm working 1/8-1/4 oz jigs with a small single tail trailer very slowly with long pauses in the warmest sunny water I can find. Would also work a 4 inch single tail grub. Once the water temps rise into mid to low 50s, it's hard Jerkbait time for me. I'll also throw a suspending crank and work it like a Jerkbait, as well my trusty 3/8 oz spinnerbaits. Will still try a 1/2 oz jig on the bottom as well as a 4 inch creature bait such as a Ugly Otter. Once the temps get into mid to high 50s, I'm concentrating on the Smallmouth spawn with the bigger fish generally being deeper then the shaller beds you usually see. I'll cast a 1/8 wt'd tube/Hula Grub as well as a 4 inch wt'less stickbait and basically nothing else.
Old 01-02-09, 04:21 PM   #3
Frogman51
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
S4il, I'm from NY and do nearly all of my freshwater fishing just north of the city on the NYC reservoirs, so we're in about the same temp zone. We hope that ice out is early to mid March, but it's been as late as the 1st week of April just a few years ago.

For cold water in the 34-39 degree range I'm working 1/8-1/4 oz jigs with a small single tail trailer very slowly with long pauses in the warmest sunny water I can find. Would also work a 4 inch single tail grub. Once the water temps rise into mid to low 50s, it's hard Jerkbait time for me. I'll also throw a suspending crank and work it like a Jerkbait, as well my trusty 3/8 oz spinnerbaits. Will still try a 1/2 oz jig on the bottom as well as a 4 inch creature bait such as a Ugly Otter. Once the temps get into mid to high 50s, I'm concentrating on the Smallmouth spawn with the bigger fish generally being deeper then the shaller beds you usually see. I'll cast a 1/8 wt'd tube/Hula Grub as well as a 4 inch wt'less stickbait and basically nothing else.
Joel go to this web http://www.fishin.com/articles/MikeG...ne.htmu'll and you will see what Ilm talking about when fishing for big fish Thanks Frogman
Frogman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 08:31 PM   #4
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman51 View Post
Joel go to this web http://www.fishin.com/articles/MikeGerry/braidedfishingline.htmu'll and you will see what Ilm talking about when fishing for big fish Thanks Frogman
I tried to go to that web site, but I keep on getting that dreaded 404 dead link message. Please recheck and let me know.
Old 01-03-09, 02:04 AM   #5
S4il
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yea i target Smallies in the Fox river in early spring last year and absolutely Killed them in the Slack calms waters in canoe shoots, Air temp was in the mid 60's usually warm spring rains is when i went, water temp was in the high 50's was catching alot of 9"-12" and a 1 or 2 nicer 14+" and one walleye, All i was throwing was a 1/4 jig, inserted into a 2" venom Green pumpkin seed with Red/Gold flake Tube bait, That pattern of fishing lasted for about 3 weeks! than the fish moved out into the main flow of the river after they had spawned in the canoe shoots, But i wanted to do the same this year, but instead targeting large mouth bass, Don't get me wrong, a Small mouth Out plays a large mouth any day pound for pound in the fight, It's the challenge of catching em is what I'm after.
Old 01-03-09, 10:44 AM   #6
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I know that sometimes you can actually be fishing underneath them in the springtime.Often they will suspend out in deeper water in front of flats or off primary points. The problem is finding them but once you do you usually will find alot of them. Suspending jerkbaits and I use the Rapala #7 RS series shad raps with a suspend dot added to help them suspend in colder water.The plastic RS shad rap runs a little deeper than a suspending jerkbait goes to so once you find them you want to fish both lures through the same water.You want the lures to suspend on long pauses between jerks.I always throw a red rattle trap type through the area as well count down to fish different depths, like I said once you usually find fish after ice out, they will be stacked up together in the same stretch of water. I hope this helps you. Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.