Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-08, 07:18 PM   #1
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Swimbaits?????

i think this one has already been done but i was wonderin what is the best brand of swimbaits, best color, best hook, line type, ect. i have never used them before and was thinkin about giving them a try? thanks again guys
Old 06-26-08, 08:52 PM   #2
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Best kind is the kind you have confidence in!

TB
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 11:53 PM   #3
Raul

Thereīs no "best", there has never been a "best", there are proven fish catchers out there, if you want a list of proven fish catchers you have:

Mattlures Baby Bass
Mattlures Bluegill
Fish Arrow Monster Jack
Imakatsu Husky Hasuzzy
Imakatsu Cofunazzy
Huddlestonīs Huddleston Deluxe
3:16īs Mission Fish
3:16īs Wake and Wake Jr.
MSī Slammer
Optimum AC Mag Shad
Optimum AC Plug Minnow
Optimum Swimbait.

But it doesnīt mean you go out there armed with the "best" and you catch a truckload of big feesh.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 09:48 PM   #4
mariner

u kno what i mean
Old 06-27-08, 10:57 PM   #5
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Different swimbatis perform better/worse in different waters... For example, one in which produces alot of fish in one lake, may, in fact, do the opposite in another. Try a variety of colors and styles, buy relatively inexpensive brands, then you will know which ones are best suited for your lakes/ponds.

-stevo
Old 06-28-08, 10:23 AM   #6
Captmikestarrett

Never used them?

Capt Mike
Old 06-28-08, 01:53 PM   #7
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I really like the new Yum swimbaits. Rig it texas style on a weighted 6/0-7/0 wide gap worm hook. The weight is on the shank of the hook and rides under the lures belly to help keep it riding upright rather than turning on it's side. The Yum swimbait has a slit open belly which makes rigging a snap. I use a 6 1/2 foot medium heavy fast taper rod with a Garcia Revo casting reel. My choice of line is 17 - 20 pound flourocarbon line. Some guys prefer a 7 foot rod length. As far as colors are concerned, I just try to pick something that closely resembles the natural forage if possible. Basically, any color that really looks like a minnow should work fine. Hook brand at this point is determined to some degree by availability. Not every hook maker designs hooks yet for this type of lure. Finding a 6/0 - 7/0 widegap hook can be trying in my area. But I noticed yesterday our BPS store now has a few to choose from that are already weighted. Choose a brand you trust and have faith in your choice. Confidence, as in any application, is your most important feature. Hope this helps
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-08, 09:00 PM   #8
mariner

thanks guys
Old 06-28-08, 09:11 PM   #9
BERKLEY83

Hey most of the swimbaits come with the hook in the pack. But me my self i like the manns hard nose. In the black back.
BERKLEY83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 12:38 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Keith, where do you get the 6/0 or 7/0 weighted hooks? I can't find them anywhere. all I've found int he Gammy EWG monster hooks and they are not weighted.

BB
Old 06-30-08, 06:42 PM   #11
keithdog

I found some this weekend at our local BPS for the first time. They didn't have them a few weeks ago. You could try calling the 1-800 number for Bass Pro and talking to a sales person on the phone.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 10:21 AM   #12
3dkicker

Falcon hooks
Old 07-02-08, 05:25 PM   #13
Deacon

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Thereīs no "best", there has never been a "best", there are proven fish catchers out there, if you want a list of proven fish catchers you have:

Mattlures Baby Bass
Mattlures Bluegill
Fish Arrow Monster Jack
Imakatsu Husky Hasuzzy
Imakatsu Cofunazzy
Huddlestonīs Huddleston Deluxe
3:16īs Mission Fish
3:16īs Wake and Wake Jr.
MSī Slammer
Optimum AC Mag Shad
Optimum AC Plug Minnow
Optimum Swimbait.

But it doesnīt mean you go out there armed with the "best" and you catch a truckload of big feesh.
Raul is crazy! NONE of those are good swimbaits! Just kiddin! All the baits he mentioned are great swimbaits. I think Raul left out a few that are great as well....

Baitsmith
Big Hammer
Maverick
Balck Dog

I think that is a really great list of swimbaits that are of good quality and proven fish catching baits. Raul you seem to know you swimbaits.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 12:29 PM   #14
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Raul is crazy! NONE of those are good swimbaits! Just kiddin! All the baits he mentioned are great swimbaits. I think Raul left out a few that are great as well....

Baitsmith
Big Hammer
Maverick
Balck Dog

I think that is a really great list of swimbaits that are of good quality and proven fish catching baits. Raul you seem to know you swimbaits.
I didnīt leave them out on purpose, I didnīt comment anything on them because I havenīt purchased any to try ( yet ), problem is, see, I got this furry critter hanging from my back and depending upon the mood he may whisper, talk or even yell in my ear choosing what it wants me to purchase which has caused me a lot of pain, suffering and mental distress ( no kidding, it is true ! ) cuz right now Iīm kinda like ......... FLAT OUT BROKE!

BTW, Iīve been testing a swimbait I came across about a year and a half ago, itīs the Team Daiwa Dead or Alive, I found them at a Japanese e-bay site and they were on clearance for 16 bucks a pop plus free shipping all the way from Japan in orders over 150 dollars so I had to sacrifice myself and purchase a dozen ( so I could reach the free shipping , oh yeah, you can go broke "saving" ), pretty kool bait, the results are good but I donīt know if itīs the place I fish with it or I must be doing something wrong cuz I havenīt managed to catch anything big on it, lots of one to two pounders and an ocassional 3 but nothing larger, I donīt get it !, itīs as big as a Monster Jack but it doesnīt have the same charm , on smaller fish it is lethal. I really like the bait because itīs a wake bait and itīs too hard to resist the temptation to see a fish slamming the bait on the surface.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.