Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-08, 11:05 PM   #1
sundance321
BassFishin.Com Member

Default What lure do I need

Hi,
I live on a 4 acre lake in western MI. There are some really Big 6-7 lb. Bass here. They are so picky and finicky! There are also ( I believe ) Rock bass. Tons of Bluegill and sunfish that I can catch with ease. I really want to figure out how to get the bass. The water here is very clear and warm. There is not alot of weeds because it is controlled by s lake maintinence. This little lake/pond is full of Bass that patrol like wolves but they have no interest in any of the collection of worms and fish like lures I have. got any suggestions on what lures might work?
sundance321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 08:47 AM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

try some spinners or a crankbait . and just try to find areas of cover were they might be hiding ..
Old 06-09-08, 02:02 PM   #3
sundance321
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks,
I have used crankbait and it used to be successful. I have not tried spinners. I will give them a try.
Old 06-09-08, 07:23 PM   #4
rrw4258

I have run into this situation myself alot when I get TONS of follow ups but they won't hit standard reaction baits such as spinnerbaits and crankbaits, but at some clear water ponds and lakes they will just SLAM a Rapala X-Rap, try size 8 for clear water fished on 8lb. test line...

Ryan
Old 06-09-08, 07:47 PM   #5
MississippiBoy

ArrArrDubya...if the fish look but don't touch, they're probably getting too good of a look at the bait. Fish the spinner or whatever faster so they don't have a chance to look it over real well. Make them make a choice immediately, and they'll be more likely to strike out of reflex.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 08:45 PM   #6
Jim80

also it won't hurt to add a trailer hook to the spinner
Old 06-09-08, 09:37 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Sundance, welcome to the Nut-House first off. Second, I'd try a dropshot on 8lb test P-Line Fluorocelar. Any plastic you've got will work for bait. search the forum to find out all your need to know about dropshotting and give it a try. I've used with much succes in cold water, but I've heard it'll work year-round even though it is considered a finesse tactic.

BB
Old 06-16-08, 12:25 PM   #8
bassnman30

A shakey head might be the answer to your question. It's a finesse bait with alot of action.
Old 06-18-08, 12:59 PM   #9
sundance321
BassFishin.Com Member

I did get a pretty big Bass the other day. There are alot of beds right now by an outlet pipe and I have noticed where they are hanging out the big ones are not interested. at all! BUT when they come over to where I have a dock and an intake for a fountain they are there to eat! I have had success with crankbait part of the time, but I caught this one near shore on a real night crawler. ....... yes I am a woman who loves to fish!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...1/CIMG2713.jpg

This was the smallest of the three there at the time...dang!
Old 06-18-08, 01:52 PM   #10
Fishnngolfn

Nice catch.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 06:41 PM   #11
bamabassman

WELCOME TO THE SITE SUNDANCE!! BEAUTIFUL BASS YOU GOT THERE TOO!!! you are gonna love this site, these guys and gals are some of the best folks around. on a pond like in your picture, i like a topwater bait EARLY in the morning, a pop-r, spook, or buzzbait. later in the day i would go with a spinner right along the edge of the dam. or maybe a 8" to 10" dark colored worm. fish it RRRREEEEAAAAALLLL slow. great fish there, we call that a HAWGMOLLIE!! and not to get you mad.....i am jelous hahahahaha. great catch.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 11:19 PM   #12
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i dont really kno but if it were me id try a spinnerbait eather a double willow leaf or a colorado blade
willo
colorado

u might try a dark colored 10 inch worm on a texas rig (u dont have to use a swivel) u should fish it slow and if u feel something bump it stop realin and wait for the perfect time to set that hook. hope that helps

Old 06-26-08, 09:27 PM   #13
sundance321
BassFishin.Com Member

I am not sure if I know what all the lure "lingo" is that averyone is talking about. I have to go get new line this weekend. I will write down some of the suggestions. I did however catch this with a black plastic worm. Not sure what kind of fish it is....big though and fought like a mutha! Is this a really big rock bass? I dropped it so there is a leaf over its eye...lol. It had redish brown eyes.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...1/CIMG2737.jpg

Last edited by sundance321; 06-26-08 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-26-08, 09:32 PM   #14
sundance321
BassFishin.Com Member

All I know is... Once I catch one big one...that is IT. I can change my lure and the rest of the bass are now no longer interested...... really a bummer.
Old 06-27-08, 11:51 AM   #15
BigBassin144

That would be a Small Mouth. They fight much better than LM bass do. And that is a nice one!

As for Line, buy some Suffix Performance braid. It is more expensive, but you don't have to change lines a couple tims a year. I've had the same braid on one of my rods for almost two years. So in the long run, it is cheaper than other lines. I'd get 30lb test for a beginer cause it is the same size as 8lb monofilament line. Just becareful with the braid as it is very sharp and will cut you easily.

BB

BB
Old 06-27-08, 12:05 PM   #16
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

yeahh i got a t-rigged worm stuck in the pads the other day and went to grab it to pull and it started slipping and sliced my index right in the first joint..
Old 06-27-08, 01:22 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Mr.P, if you're using a baitcaster, but your thumb on the spool and pull backwards (make sure the line is straight through the guides to get the most pressure) and you should be able break the lilypad before your braid breaks. Ask bama, my dad and I did this numerous times on his boat on Guntersville. The braid does dig into the spool a bit, but keep a heavy weight nearby that you can clip onto your lures and you can cast it out most of the time.

BB
Old 06-27-08, 04:58 PM   #18
MrPhotographer06

it was a spinning
Old 06-27-08, 05:02 PM   #19
BigBassin144

You can still hold the spool so it doesn't turn and do the same thing. It is a lot easier on your hands.

BB
Old 06-27-08, 05:12 PM   #20
MrPhotographer06

yeah catfishing we take a glove .. it sux with 30lb test
Old 07-06-08, 12:49 AM   #21
keithdog

Hi sundance, welcome to the nut hut. Nice bass in your photo by the way! I have a suggestion for you. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that since this pond is only 4 acres, it gets pretty heavy pressure from several fisherman trying to do the same thing you are. There are many lures that will take a bass from that pond. Spinnerbaits, worms, surface baits, and so on. It's an endless list. What I would do if I were you is pay very close attention to what you see other fisherman using. Quite often, an area has it's favorite baits, in certain sizes and colors. So see what the other fisheman are using and then think outside the box. If they are fishing with 5 inch black or blue worms, try using 7 inch watermellon or red. If they are using shiner colored surface lures, try using black surface lures. If they are using buzzbaits, try using a popper instead. What you want to do is have something to offer the fish that they don't see on a regular basis. If most people throw spinnerbaits with double willow blades, try one with one single large colorado blade. Hope this helps.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 10:32 PM   #22
sundance321
BassFishin.Com Member

Keithdog,
Myself and one other neighbor are the only people on this property. It is pretty private. Nice for me
well the suggestions i have gotten have really helped! If I can catch a Bass a day..and really that is all I can catch. I am happy. There are some nice big sunfish and blue gill that are fun to catch too.
Old 07-12-08, 06:05 PM   #23
keithdog

Maybe you could try a shallow running crankbait in a bluegill pattern. The Bandit 100 series in bluegill os a good one. Also, you could try the Strike King Keven Van Dam spinnerbait with gold blades and the bluegill pattern skirt.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.