Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-10, 07:47 AM   #1
james86
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Got a new reel

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlinkSo what do you think? It's in great condition. Any suggestions on what I should put it on or what I should use it for.

For some reason can't get the photo into my post.

Last edited by james86; 11-08-10 at 09:10 AM.
james86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-10, 09:00 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The picture isn't showings up.

BB
Old 11-08-10, 11:13 AM   #3
DVT Mike

You'll probably get the best results throwing heavier baits like deep cranks, Med. size swimbaits and Carolina rigs etc. Those Ambassadeur reels are nearly indestructable. You might want to consider having it serviced over the winter and upgrading the drag w/ Carbontex. Those reels are prime candidates for tuning also.
Old 11-08-10, 12:15 PM   #4
james86

No good for jigs? I have zero experience with round reels.
Old 11-08-10, 01:08 PM   #5
DVT Mike

That reel should work for casting jigs or swimming them. It might not have the free-spool for pitching. You'll have to try it and decide for yourself what you like it best for.
Old 11-08-10, 01:29 PM   #6
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nice reel. I'll cut to the chase... You can use it for whatever application you want. It's your reel.

From a performance/function p.o.v.(point of view), you should not see any major differences between round reels and their low profile cousins.

Round reels will tend to hold more line which makes them a solid choice for applications where long casts are a plus or when more line is needed for epic battles (I have battled salmon that have spooled a Curado 201D with ease). In addition, they can also have a more powerful drag, but not always.

I am willing to bet that this reel will excel in casting anything greater than or equal to 3/8 oz without additional modification. I would also expect to see that the lighter the weight of the bait from 3/8 oz, the more difficult it will be for the reel to handle, once again without modifications.

How do I know? I have an abu g round reel myself.

That is one sweet looking reel. Congrats. It might just be me, but I think there is something just plain and flat out awesome about how round reels look. Perhaps because I too am well-rounded.
Old 11-08-10, 02:04 PM   #7
james86

I also got a quantum/zebco ql1000. Not sure about the quality of these reels but it definately doesnt seem like its very good.
Old 11-09-10, 01:42 AM   #8
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That will make you a great reel. Those round reels take a beating and just keep on going. I have several buddies that still use abu round reels and they all are a pleasure to cast. Congrats on the new reel!
Old 11-12-10, 10:11 PM   #9
james86

So I took this ambassadeur 2500c apart because it was having some issues and now I cant get the pinion yoke to stay in place. I rarely if ever take reels apart. I consider myself pretty mechanically skilled. I do fix airplanes after all. But if someone can clue me in on how to get this pinion yoke to stay in the right spot please don't hold back. I get it all seated properly then put it back together and after a slight shake I can hear it rattling around in the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by james86; 11-12-10 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-12-10, 10:31 PM   #10
CMorg

Id say pro reel can help. He has been on here a lot. I would shoot him a pm and ask for help.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 11:19 PM   #11
Tavery5

James, from what I can see in your picture, it looks like the bent part of the pinion yoke is facing outward. I believe on that reel that the bent part should face towards the inside. Here is a link to a schematic, hope it helps.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schem...0C0700blue.PDF

might not be the exact reel, but should be very similar.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 11:29 PM   #12
james86

I take back everything I said about being mechanically inclined. Color me stupid. Sad part is that's the way I tried it first but I couldn't get it to work that way either. O well, I'm just glad its working good now.
Old 11-12-10, 11:52 PM   #13
Tavery5

Glad you were able to get it back together, it can be frustating sometimes.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-10, 12:09 AM   #14
james86

Well, I'm still having problems. The worm gear I believe its called. The gear that moves the line guide. On the left side of the reel there is a small notched gear inside the case that turns the worm gear. That gear also won't stay in place. But I didn't cause this problem this was actually the original reason I took the reel apart.

It's the one on the left. Won't stay seated for some reason.

Last edited by james86; 11-13-10 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-13-10, 12:11 AM   #15
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Yep, looks like you just needed to flip it over.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-10, 12:38 AM   #16
pro reel

I was a little to quick there and see you now have another problem. This one is tougher, and it's a good example of the problem with schematics. They are a one dimensional view from one perspective and you can't see where everything goes or how it fits together. Thats why you should take notes and pictures when you take them apart, but even then, parts can slip out of place before you see where they were.
In the left cover you have a metal post. Drive gear 5152 slides over the post and 4490 E-clip holds it in place. That 5152 gear drives the worm gear, but it has to be turned by the spool. I believe you are having trouble with the 10255 notched gear. Thats the gear that should hook to the spool and turn the 5152 drive gear. I have not worked on that exact reel, but I believe that the notched gear slides over the spool shaft with the notch towards the spool. Part 10251 must hold it in place, I'm guessing here without being able to see what it actually looks like. The older abu reels had a similar notched gear, but it was held on to the spool shaft in a different way than this looks. Can you take some more pictures of all the parts from that side of the reel? I know a guy that strictly works on abu reels, If we can't figure it out here, i can get some answers from him for you.
Old 11-13-10, 12:49 AM   #17
james86

I had no part holding the gear in place which is probably my problem. I'll take more pictures.
Old 11-13-10, 01:02 AM   #18
james86

Quote:
Originally Posted by james86 View Post
I had no part holding the gear in place which is probably my problem. I'll take more pictures.
Don't mind my dirty fingernails. It was a long day at work.

Just a shot of the inside of the lid.

I'm not sure if it's the correct schematic but this is the one I was looking at.

http://www.abugarcia.com/view_schema...d=226.228.942#

Last edited by james86; 11-13-10 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-13-10, 01:25 AM   #19
pro reel

Do you have the part that is shown on the schematic right next to the 10255 gear? It's part number 10251. It looks to be a C shaped sleeve. It looks like it slides into the tension cap area and must protrude into the gear area. The open side of The C sleeve would face the plastic gear and it would probably hold the notched gear in place. This is just a guess, again I have not had this reel in my shop yet. Most reels with a gear like that would have a C clip that slips into a slot on the spool shaft, but this doesn't show anything like that because of where the spool bearing sits, it needs to be able to have the spool able to slide out. Therefore, I assume that part #10251 is the key that holds this in place. It looks to me that if someone took the left plate tension cap off, that the part # 10251 could fall out. If that happened before you got the reel, then you need to order that part from Abu.

Last edited by pro reel; 11-13-10 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-13-10, 01:31 AM   #20
james86

I'm pretty sure you're right and no I don't have this piece. I got this reel from someone else and it wasn't in there when I opened it.

Part number search says ABU Part #: 10251 - Spool Pinion Bushing. Guess I will have to order one. Unfortunately didn't see any in stock. I'll look more tomorrow.

Last edited by james86; 11-13-10 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-13-10, 01:53 AM   #21
pro reel

Try ordering it directly from abu customer service at pure fishing. If they have it, they will have the cheapest price. They will be open on Monday.
Old 11-13-10, 10:42 PM   #22
james86

Thanks for your help
Old 12-15-10, 02:59 PM   #23
mike234

I use Amb 5000's, 5500's and 6500's for swimbaits reels. Also use an 5500 for crankbait reel. They are great reels and I really enjoy fishing with them. Also can fish any bait over 3/8oz with ease. Have used Curados 200 and 300 but put 2 5500's and at 6500 on 3 new Shimano Crucial Swimbait Rods instead of trying to buy new ones or use the Curados. These are not new Amb reels but have had one since the middle 80's
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-10, 09:26 PM   #24
Garry2rs

I have owned at least 6 Abu's and still use a couple for Musky fishing.
One tip I can give you is to keep the worm gear well oiled.
If you don't, you will quickly wear-out the pawl.
Not sure if this is because the level-wind is always engaged or not, but trust me, oil is your friend.

This reel was designed more than 50 years ago.
At that time casting rods had an off set handle.
You will find that the Abu seems to sit very high on trigger rods, with blank through handles. This feeling soon goes away, once you start casting...grin.
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 12:26 AM   #25
james86

I know this is an old thread and the pics are gone but thanks to you guys I finally got this old reel working. It works surprisingly well and cast relatively light crankbaits a mile. I'm pretty happy with it being my new crankbait reel. The only weird thing about it is after a cast I have to turn the handle pretty much a complete turn before the cast button pops back out. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to work or not. Regardless I'm really happy with it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.