Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-12, 08:39 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default time for 3 more questions

instead of making 3 seperate threads, for 3 questions that may require 2 or 3 posts to anwser.

1. with a rod just for buzzbait, woul you choose moderate or fast action, i would guess fast,

2. instead of the bucoo, i am thinking, a 7MH vendetta, so my question is since my reel is not one of the lite newer reels, would it throw the balance off since the bucoo is super light. i mean since the reel probably weighs double the rod, i just think the vendetta, guess not a question just what would be ya preferance, a light rod and heavy reel or a descent middle.

3, what ever rod i get, it will be a MH rod, this will be an all-around spinning setup..chatters,spinners-small jerks-T-rigged, could i throw T-rigged tubes into the mix, will a spinning setup work, I have pitched heavy T-rigged but lighter side would spinning rod work

Last edited by wallywallace; 02-15-12 at 11:36 PM.
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 10:53 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

To answer number two:

I will take a balanced rod over a super light one any day. If you're getting a regular Bucoo, and not the micro version, it will more than likely be tip heavy. The heavier reel will help balance it out. If you're getting the vendetta, they have some weight added into the butt of the rod to help increase the balance. This means you can get away with a lighter reel and still have a decently balanced combo. A heavier reel is only going to balance the rod more.

BB
Old 02-15-12, 11:37 PM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

A friend and I had the chance to do an interesting experiment. We took a 7ft MH F action Duckett Micro Magic rod and balanced it.

The rod seemed so light in our hands that it did not seem that it would take much weight at all to balance the rod, but we soon learned that was not going to be the case.

We started by placing the rod on a sharp edge and finding the balance point prior to any weight being added. We found this spot to be about 6 or 7 inches in front of the reel seat.

We removed the tuning port from the rear of the rod and started adding weight to bring the balance directly in front of the reel seat. After we add 2 1/4 ounces of lead the rod became very balanced.

My question is this, what is the difference between a very balanced rod and rod weighting 2 ounces less. In this case nothing, it was the same rod with the balance point adjusted. My conclusion was that it is just a matter of preference.
Old 02-16-12, 09:16 AM   #4
wallywallace

alright, sounds good to me, i am gonna take my reel to walmart and try it out.
Old 02-16-12, 10:44 AM   #5
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

One could always use a 9 -91/2 oz reel rather than a 7 oz,and a lighter rod if used all day long is easy to toss,balance it even easier.Yet some drawbacks one being such rods when a real bucket mouth is on in cover of some type just not enough oomph to get them out generally(carrot stix),4 .25 yes 6 or a 7 no.Thus for going back in a going back an getem I use a Kistler.That same lighter rod however is much better suited to the edges and say horny toads.My stix is well suited for that and doesnt wear me out.Just my train of thought.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 12:08 PM   #6
wallywallace

this may help, it is okuma stratus...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.