Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-07, 09:57 PM   #1
chubs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Plastic repair?

Heres what I use to repair plastics is the glue any better?
http://www.cobramarine.com/proweld_p...ding_tool.html

I hope this work Ive never tried to put up a link!
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 11:24 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

the glue is AWESOME!! i love it i have three/four bottles kickin around.. i can't remember the blasted name -dam nog is kickin my butt-

zooker
Old 12-25-07, 12:33 AM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

http://www.prosoftbaitglue.com/
Is he still a sponsor here? I never tried it but have always heard good things and never a complaint.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-07, 08:45 AM   #4
pig n jig

I got some, somewhere. I don't use it, I just replace a torn bait with a new one.I wish I knew someone who poured platic baits, I think you can remelt the torn baits and repour them ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-07, 04:59 PM   #5
Mac10

I use the pencil soldering iron from Wal Mart Automotive....under 5 dollars....wrap a copper wire about the diameter of a pencil lead around the tip three times and let it stick straight off the end about a half inch....when hot, melts plastic well and seals rips, tears and punctures. Use the fatter barrel for welding two pieces together....hold each piece to be welded and melt the ends and then press together. It comes with a wire stand, but making one from notching a tin can with some weight in it works better.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-07, 09:05 PM   #6
Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
I got some, somewhere. I don't use it, I just replace a torn bait with a new one.I wish I knew someone who poured platic baits, I think you can remelt the torn baits and repour them ? P N J
Ivan, I used to but don't anymore. Remelting and pouring can be done but many colors dulled and lost luster. However, black was perfect for remelting and that was my favorite color, so I did a fair amount with that color. But all my remelting was done with baits I had poured originally; I never tried it with commercial baits.

As to repair, I use a candle to heat and fuse the pieces together.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-07, 05:13 PM   #7
3dkicker

Kwik Loc or Super Glue works in a pinch. They aren't a permanent fix but work for a short period of time.

A friend has been using the soldering method with his plastic swim baits and he likes it better than glue (but can't do it on the water). Can't just toss out a Basstrix if it's torn.
Old 12-26-07, 08:40 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Just a word of warning, superglue does not work!

BB

P.S. Don't Ask
Old 12-26-07, 10:17 PM   #9
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
P.S. Don't Ask
well i am going to...
did you try the gel formula?? and how long did it take to get your fingers un glued?? lmao....

no bb pro's softbait glue is the real deal. no question it works and works well..

zooker
Old 12-27-07, 07:25 PM   #10
3dkicker

They do work, as I said, in a pinch......and I know that most "superglues" are water-soluble or break down when in water for extended periods of time.
Old 12-27-07, 08:02 PM   #11
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
http://www.prosoftbaitglue.com/
Is he still a sponsor here? I never tried it but have always heard good things and never a complaint.
I sure as he!! complained when I glued my fingers together LMAO. It also can, if put on wet baits, turn whitish. Other than that it works well, but I don't use it on other peoples boats,(I want to be asked back, and accidents do happen) just get a new bait, I have plenty of those rotflmao.

Lizards
Old 12-27-07, 08:03 PM   #12
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Just a word of warning, superglue does not work!

BB

P.S. Don't Ask
If it donīt work then how come I ended up with bait, jighead & glue bottle frimly attached to 3 fingers on my left hand ?
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-07, 11:43 PM   #13
Stick-em
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em
Wink PRO's Soft~Bait Glue SPonsor

Hi Fella's,

Don't get on here often and we're gearing up for our shows in VA, NC and MD this time of year. If anyone would like to join us for a demonstration when you see us at the shows, please tell us where you know our product from and introduce yourselves and we'll make sure we can answer any and all questions thoroughly. I know Lizards and Reb and many others including the owner of this website Kevin. They can also help you out with questions and answers when I or other Pro Staff are not around.

If you have any particular questions, please fire away here and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

A Quick overview:

* Stays flexible once cured on soft plastic baits and fly leader lines.

* Cures within 10 seconds while fishing.

* Won't weaken any of the 62 line manufacturers tested and that includes all braids.

* Odorless after 5 seconds in the water and you can ask probably a hundred or so Pro's using PRO's Soft~Bait Glue presently and they get bit again right away.

* Mending wet or dry is just fine in any kind of wind or rain and temps. You can't do that in wind and rain unless you've got a mini gas lighter and that's a drip drip session on your boat carpet usually.

* I've done it and some fisherman have bonded real live minnows lips closed and to the hooks in walleye crawler rigs to keep a better presentation for more hooks ups. On a drift your minnow won't drown either or slip off once the lips are stretched.

Last but not least no product is going to be 100% effective on everything and purchased by everyone but as some of these guys will tell you, you can glue step pads carpet back down on boats, cork and synthetic rod grips, rubber like nothing to it, tie a knot with mono, add a drop for bobber stop. Since it's migrating, it can wick into a gas line leak on a fuel line hose with fuel present and at least get you on your way... Replace english felts on waders and how about this one for you fly tyers, attach foam to a fly hook and use mylar for your wrap without melting the foam.

Ask away and I'll be back on Sunday afternoon to answer....

Have a Great Weekend!

Mike
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-07, 10:42 AM   #14
Lilmoosecountry

Is there somthing specific about this glue. For years i have always had some kind of super Glue in the tacklebox. I started using it on braided knots. I have used it on soft plastic. So is there somthing diffrent about this stuff. Then what i have been using.

Last edited by Lilmoosecountry; 12-28-07 at 10:50 AM.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 02:19 AM   #15
fourbizz
BassFishin.Com Member

You guys should try "Mend-it". It is not a "glue" it actually fuses the plastic back together and then evaporates. it is awesome stuff.
fourbizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 02:27 AM   #16
fourbizz
BassFishin.Com Member

You guys should try "Mend-it". It is not a "glue" it actually fuses the plastic back together and then evaporates. it is awesome stuff.
fourbizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.