Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-08, 01:23 PM   #1
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Reel Trouble...Just me???

I am having trouble with my Abu Garcia, Ambassadeur REVO SX-HS reel. It keeps bird nesting once out of every 3 casts! I dont know if it is me, but with my other bc reels, this never happens....Has this happend to anyone b4? Can you help, thanks.

-stevo
Old 07-02-08, 02:30 PM   #2
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Which other reels do you own? Start with the settings really high and SLOWLY decrease.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 02:52 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i can't believe that you are having trouble with a revo. i own several of them and haven't had any problems at all. out of all of them i own there is one that i am having a little trouble getting dialed in perfect, i can still thrown it pretty well without backlashes but it's just not perfect.....yet. in this case i think it is the rod i have it paired with. it's a high end rod (falcon) but sometimes the best rod and best reel won't be perfect with each other. i finally have this reel pretty close to where i need it but it has taken a lot of work. if it isn't the settings on the reel that is causing the problems then i would wonder if maybe it is the rod it's on (i remember the rod you got with the reel and it's a great rod) just keep tinkering with the tension and brakes, and like someone said in another post the drag can also play a part in this. i bet you will get it right in time.
Old 07-02-08, 03:19 PM   #4
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Yeah, when I started with mine I had the same problems.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 03:42 PM   #5
doc

Love my revo, the only complaint I have about it is when I go for the distance it sounds like a airplaine taking off.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 06:01 PM   #6
stevomac59

Thanks guys for all your help! I bought some new line, thanks to the baitmonkey! It's cajun red line (zook). I did not know about the adjusting knob on the left side of the reel; so I adjusted it...and sue enough... I did not get a single bird nest! Now I need to find out how to make it cast a mile.

Thanks again for everythin'!

-stevo
Old 07-02-08, 06:10 PM   #7
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

just gotta get it set right i think i cast mine two miles.. figured it out on my own
Quote:
well i know absolutely nothing about baitcasting but i do know that on mine, my best friends and my uncles '76 5500c all if you tighten the right one just below snug and the left (on new reels right is the centrifugal or w/e lol brakes left is magnetic) one do the 45* angle thing.. then when it falls slowly enough to when it hits the ground and it stop.. back it down just a little bit and thats my furthest cast yet is set that way.. i can cast it that way and throw it without my thumb and 85% of the time i can just reel it in with no backlash what so ever
Old 07-02-08, 06:29 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevomac59 View Post
Thanks guys for all your help! I bought some new line, thanks to the baitmonkey! It's cajun red line (zook). I did not know about the adjusting knob on the left side of the reel; so I adjusted it...and sue enough... I did not get a single bird nest! Now I need to find out how to make it cast a mile.

Thanks again for everythin'!

-stevo
loosen the tension knob a little at a time and make small adjustments with the brakes to get more distance. you will get it, just hang in there.
Old 07-03-08, 12:44 PM   #9
Raul

Well, I´ve been fishing with baitcasters for over two decades, every time I purchase a new one of different brand to the ones I´m used to too I have to practice a little on how to adjust the reel or ----> .
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 02:37 PM   #10
keithdog

I just wanted to add one thing to this discussion. If you've never used flourocarbon line before, you can expect to have some backlash issues at first. I thought my new Revo had a problem. I had it spooled with BPS XPS flourocarbon line. After having backlash troubles which I normally don't have, "I've been using casting reels for 28 years now," I changed back to mono and now the reel casts fine. It wasn't the reel, but rather the line and my inexperience with that type of line that was the problem.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 02:40 PM   #11
stevomac59

Keith, I think I had the same problemo....They supplied my reel with H20 Express Flourocarbon line. I just recently changed it to cajun, and I played around with the adjustments, and it works just fine now (PERFECT!).

-stevo
Old 07-03-08, 03:20 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevomac59 View Post
Keith, I think I had the same problemo....They supplied my reel with H20 Express Flourocarbon line. I just recently changed it to cajun, and I played around with the adjustments, and it works just fine now (PERFECT!).

-stevo
great news........i promise you will love that reel!
Old 07-06-08, 08:38 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I just wanted to add one thing to this discussion. If you've never used flourocarbon line before, you can expect to have some backlash issues at first. I thought my new Revo had a problem. I had it spooled with BPS XPS flourocarbon line. After having backlash troubles which I normally don't have, "I've been using casting reels for 28 years now," I changed back to mono and now the reel casts fine. It wasn't the reel, but rather the line and my inexperience with that type of line that was the problem.
Interesting post keith and RIGHT ON THE MONEY. Fluoro is a different animal very much so. On my other reels that I used to own I had to change up the settings when I switched over to fluoro. Finally I dedicated some reels to fluro and others to copolymer. NO MORE backlash problems from then on.
Old 07-06-08, 09:37 AM   #14
Jim80

the only thing i've used floro for is drop shoting other than that it's braid or mono on my bc's and like everyone said one set right they are great to use

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.