Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-09, 05:41 PM   #1
B-I-G
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Cranks, Spinnerbaits, Kits... I need Some help

Alright well I might be feeding the baitmonkey later on tonight to get ready for my day of fishing tomorrow. It's supposed to be the first hot day of the year: 88 degrees!! It was about 50-60 all week so it is a big jump...

Anyways... I am kind of stuck on what to buy. Keep in mind I only have $20 to spend... maybe $30.
I am definitely going to get one or two crankbaits. Probably the Rapala DTs, since they were so successful for me... but I might only get one of those and one of a Bandit, Bomber, or Norman (they're cheaper but still work just as good).
Also, I just started fishing with a spinnerbait the other day and it worked really really well. I still have two spinnerbaits that should work fine, but I'm thinking about getting one more.
there are also crankbait kits that I want to get, but it will eat away all my money I have to spend.

Any ideas?
I also might get a small Plano box type thing that isn't as big as a tackle box, but it can fit in a backpack and is usually used to hold terminal tackle, crankbaits, etc.

So.... let the suggestions start coming
B-I-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 06:00 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The thing about getting a kit, whether it's crankbaits, spinnerbaits, soft plastics, or whatever, is that you may like 4 things in the whole kit, and not ever use the other 16. Then you go out and buy more of those 4 things, defeating the purpose of getting the kit.
I like the Bandit crankbaits, but Norman's, Bombers, and Rapalas are all good brands. The Bandits around here are $3.50 to $4 each for the 100 series, which is a good choice for a bank fisherman, such as yourself.
Good spinnerbaits will start at maybe $4 and go up from there. The $1 ones at Wal-Mart or in the bargain bins aren't much good, but they're better than nothing. Just don't be surprised if the skirt falls off, the wire bends on your first fish, etc.
Then find you something like this for storage. You'll need to get more soon, since the bait monkey now knows where you live, but it's a good starting place.
Old 04-24-09, 06:15 PM   #3
B-I-G

Yeah well I have a tackle box at home, but.. as a bank fisherman, It is a pain to carry, set down, carry, set down. Also, I hate that I always have to keep an eye on it if I go down the bank a little ways. But the link you just sent me looks perfect for what I need. It is very compact and still holds a lot of lures. I wwas thinking about getting a BOOYAH Bassinator Spinnerbait... heres the link http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...006000_100-6-1... I think that if I get one of those... one of the rapalas... and that Stowaway you showed me... that will suit me for a little while... My dad is probably getting me a $50 gift card to BPS on my birthday which is less than a month away
Old 04-24-09, 06:17 PM   #4
B-I-G

what color do you think i should get for the spinnerbait
Old 04-24-09, 06:28 PM   #5
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I never buy kits, it just seems that they don't have quality baits in them. I always buy the nicest baits I can afford, but I am careful with them and don't fish around a lot of super heavy cover. I feel that a good bait gives me an edge that I just wouldn't have otherwise.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 06:40 PM   #6
B-I-G

I have never bought a kit before, but I sometimes consider it when I'm just beginning to know a lure... But yeah you are right... I'm not thinking of getting a kit anymore anyways.. I think I have a good idea of what I'm going to get..... except for the color of the spinnerbait.... :P well thanks for all the help guys... i know i can always count on you guys
Old 04-24-09, 07:02 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

the only way you will lose a spinnerbait is if ya hang them up in a tree...if your on it with dt 6's i'd go a fairly simalar color scheme in a bandit 100...belive me i catch hundreds of fish a year on them they are tough as nails...and only dive about 4 feet..

zooker
Old 04-24-09, 10:20 PM   #8
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
the only way you will lose a spinnerbait is if ya hang them up in a tree...if your on it with dt 6's i'd go a fairly simalar color scheme in a bandit 100...belive me i catch hundreds of fish a year on them they are tough as nails...and only dive about 4 feet..

zooker

Gotta go with zooker there the man knows his cranks , towards the spinners I would hang towards the terminators if they have them near ya , you could fill up on cheaper ones but you will find yourself replacing them more often .

Jim
Old 04-24-09, 10:55 PM   #9
B-I-G

Man, I wish I had seen your messages earlier... I left earlier and ended up getting a Rapala DT-6 in Crawdad color and a BOOYAH BASSINATOR in Chartreuse/White color.... Oh well... they will still work just as good if not better... Going out early tomorrow... lets see if i can get some big ones
Old 04-26-09, 07:08 AM   #10
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I fish 90% booyah spinnerbaits. got a couple other brans, but I like the booyah the best. although, I am looking carefully at the new Strike King KVD spinnerbaits.

BB
Old 04-26-09, 07:41 PM   #11
B-I-G

thanks delaware bass I will be sure to stop in at the site and maybe drop an e-mail or two...
BigBassin... I decided to get the Booyah Bassinator Spinnerbait... I fished it, and the 3/8 oz. was too much resistance on my rod... I have one other spinnerbait that I bought when I was just starting out and I was buying anything... and it's Booyah but it is very light and small, and it seems to produce a lot on my lake that I fish at... I'm still going to be using my new spinnerbait... I think I just have to get used to the heavier weight.
Old 04-26-09, 07:49 PM   #12
DJ_Callahan_27

I found a bait kit that I think is a good deal and that all the bait in the kit would be used. You said that your father was going to give you a $50 gift card to BPS for your B-Day save a few more dallors and get this kit for $59.00. www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_103330____SearchResults

In case that doesn't link you to the page this kit is the Strike King K.V.D Sexy Shad Kit.

It includes 1 chartreuse sexy shad and 1 sexy shad pro model crankbait in each of these sizes: series 1,3,4,5,6

3 1/2 oz red eye shads- 1 sexy shad, 1 chartreuse sexy shad, and 1 chrome sexy shad

And 4 KVD spinnerbaits

All in thier on 3700 box making it a total of 18 peices

Just my 2 cents but I thought it was a good deal and planning on buying one
DJ_Callahan_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-09, 07:59 PM   #13
B-I-G

yeah I saw that at the store and I know it must be a great deal.. but, I am thinking that I shouldn't spend 60 dollars on a whole set of lures in one color... Don't get me wrong, I've heard that that lure color catches boatloads of bass.... but it's kind of sketchy if you ask me.. I was definitely considering it though

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.