Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-11, 09:35 PM   #1
Aussie Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Just Moved to Ontario From Australia

Hi there,

I have just moved to Ontario, Canada from Australia. Being an avid fisho back home one of my first ports of call has been to get on line and start searching out a decent bass fishing forum...looks like I have found one!

Back in Australia I focused my energies on two kinds of ( very different) fishing. My favourite species to target was Australian bass (similar in size to small mouth, though vastly different in appearance - max size around 5kg) in the Fresh and Kingfish in the salt (I believe they call them yellow tail on the West coast - grow to 60kg)...yes we are blessed with many forms of fishing in Australia!

What I loved about Australian bass fishing was the places it would take me (and of course hooking up!)...generally either remote gorges which needed to be hiked into or larger slow flowing rivers which I fished on my kayak. When I figure out how to upload pics I'll attach some so you know what I'm on about.

Now I am hoping a few of you may be able to help me with a question I have. As I will only be living in Ontario (Toronto) for 6-8 months I do not see any point in buying a car, nor a kayak as I have no means of transporting it. This obviously leaves me with very limited options for fishing...like I was able to do with Australian Bass fishing, is it possible to find smaller streams and rivers that hold worth while numbers of bass and can be fished from the bank? I am certainly not requesting that anyone divulge their favourite fishing spots, but rather provide any general advice you may have for river/dam bank fishing?

Anyways it is great to have found such a hands on website with a vast number of members who are clearly dedicated to their sport...if any of you out there are interested in knowing more about Australian bass (or other forms of Aussie fishing) just ask.

Cheers
Aussie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 09:50 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

first of all mate............. WELCOME TO THE BEST FISHING STIE ON THE WEB!! take some time to read alot and you will most likely learn more from that than anything. BUT that does not mean don't ask questions. PLEASE ask as many as oyu need to pal. take a joke when applied, and give one right back. but i must warn you, do NOT be drinking anything that would ruin oyur computer. spits are common here.....on keyboards and such,lol.

now as for your question. since i do not live up where oyu are i cannot answer with any knowledge for you. but hand on a while and someone will be able to hlp oyu out. and if you are able to travel a bit more south i now oyu can find some folks here to take oyu with them on a fishing trip. heck, come WAY south and i'll take oyu out.

above all....have fun!!
Old 03-24-11, 11:17 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've never fished from shore in the Toronto area but I do when I have to go up to Belleville, Ontario for work. It's right on the Bay of Quinte and I have caught some bass from beneath bridges, etc. The time I have spent in Toronto near the lake I didn't pay attention to what the shore was like down there. I can't tell you what areas are best, but most decent looking water you find is likely to have some bass in it. Also if you find the right time of year you might find the salmon running into rivers near the lake. I know they do on other parts of Lake Ontario so I would think they do around there too.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 06:42 AM   #4
nobass

let me wlcome you to"up above' i have no idea how to shore fish ing ont. but i am sure lacal tacklt shops could help you
Old 03-25-11, 08:42 PM   #5
woody

Aussie, first I would like to do is welcome you to this site.

I would like to share something that I have had success with, when exploring new possible fishing holes. http://maps.google.com/.

I hope that this helps.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 12:09 PM   #6
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Aussie, first I would like to do is welcome you to this site.

I would like to share something that I have had success with, when exploring new possible fishing holes. http://maps.google.com/.

I hope that this helps.

-Mark
Great advise right there! Get on google maps/earth and find lakes, river and ponds close to you. Go to 'em fish 'em, find ones that have the best fishing.. and fish 'em!
Old 03-28-11, 02:26 PM   #7
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

Hello and welcome to the best fishing site on the web!

Since you're only living in Ontario for 6-8 months, I'm assuming you're here for work. If so, I'm sure you can ask some people you're working with. They should be able to some very good advice on local waters. And as Woody and Bassboss said, google maps is a very good resource.

Good Fishing!

Dave
96ecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 07:18 PM   #8
keithdog

I've never fished in Ontario, but I hear there is pretty good smallmouth up there. But also consider fishing for other species as well. There is some awsome pike fishing that can be had from shore up there. And if you can get out on a boat, walleye is also very good table fare!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.