Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-06, 10:50 PM   #1
mrklambrecht
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trolling motor decision

I have a ranger 17' bass boat that weighs about 1500# loaded. When I bought the boat it came with a motorguide 24v/41# thrust trolling motor that has never worked well, so I'm not sure if this is enough thrust or not. I'm looking to get a new one and am looking at a minn kota 12v/40# thrust edge. I'm wondering if this would work good for my boat or if anyone has any other suggestions.
mrklambrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-06, 11:14 PM   #2
K-Driz
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

I've got a 16' bass tracker with a 43# motor guide and if it's very windy, that strength of trolling motor doesn't do it for me. So with you're longer boat, it'd probably be better to have at least a 55# trolling motor, especially if it get's very windy where you usually fish.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-06, 01:26 PM   #3
mrklambrecht
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks K-Driz. I was in Academy today and found a Minn Kota 55# thrust on clearance for $350 and couldn't pass it up. I will let ya know how well it works. Thanks again.
mrklambrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-06, 04:33 PM   #4
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You may wish to check out a 71 pd. thrust by Motor Guide. It's got a 24 volt system, and 5 forward speeds. Very popular model.
Old 09-19-06, 07:36 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm with bassnman-that is the TM I have and have been real pleased with it. On a boat that size a 43 lb 12v won't hold it in a strong wind. That I know from personal experience, which is why I have that 24V Motorguide now .

Welcome to the forum, BTW!

Last edited by Rebbasser; 09-19-06 at 11:09 PM.
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-06, 08:59 PM   #6
Bender

Have any of you had any problems with too large of a trolling motor? Th older the boat it seems the smaller the TM, my early 90s 16' has a 28lb. and in any breeze it struggles. I am worried about breaking the welds on the bow though with a bigger one.
Do any have a "soft start" feature so there is not so much shock when you start up in the highest speed?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-06, 11:08 PM   #7
Rebbasser

Not really, Bender. I will say when you have a 71 lb on high pointed left or right it can throw you off balance real quick. If you have an aluminum boat-sounds like you do-a 12V with 40 or so lbs of thrust should work fine.
Old 09-20-06, 07:35 AM   #8
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

my maxxum 74 has the soft start...it's 24 volt.it also has the infinite speed instead of 5 preset speeds which really comes in handy.don't forget the kipawa prop when you get the new motor...don't go with a 12 volt,you will eventually regret it.
Old 09-20-06, 09:24 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Have any of you had any problems with too large of a trolling motor? Th older the boat it seems the smaller the TM, my early 90s 16' has a 28lb. and in any breeze it struggles. I am worried about breaking the welds on the bow though with a bigger one.
Do any have a "soft start" feature so there is not so much shock when you start up in the highest speed?

Yes I have broken some welds rotfl I would suggest you mount it with extra brackets, and as many screws/bolts as possible. Tere are moters that come with a slow start, I believe the Minnkota Maxxum is one of them. I just have an old tin can, so I just bolted the heck out of it. When I bought my boat it had a 28 lb thrust, it now has a 50lb thrust , so it can make a difference on how it's mounted.

Lizards
Old 09-20-06, 09:52 PM   #10
flfireman

Mines held on w/ 6 bolts. I got a 50# on my tin can also. Moves me when I need to, strong enough even in a stout wind. Will throw my butt on 4 or 5 if not paying attention.
Old 09-21-06, 06:36 AM   #11
PowerBass

I want to upgrade my TM, froma 46 to at least a 71 lb thrust Minnkota Edge, or the 71 Lb MotorGuide Pro Sereis(for tracker boats) The dge has variable speed and thats somethign defintley comes in handy in a stiff wind or surrent sitatuion
Old 09-21-06, 06:08 PM   #12
Vabass22

I would reccomend minn-kota, over motor-guide, and for your boat, at least a 50#. Its all in personal opinion, but IMO,(and my fishing buddies), minn-kotas are better.
my .02
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-06, 08:27 PM   #13
Larry
BassFishin.Com Member

You can get a wind sock to help you in the wind.....then all you need is a TM to help keep the boat alined
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 08:57 PM   #14
Wee Vee Bassin
BassFishin.Com Member

You can go with any size trolling motor you want on any boat. On my 16' tin boat I have a bow mount 109 motor guide 36 volt. And it will throw you out of the boat if your not careful. As long as you have a good solid mount you will be fine. Having more power than needed is great, Your not out fighting wind on high and trying to fish.
Wee Vee Bassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.