Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-09, 10:47 PM   #1
UKbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New Rod

I am looking for a new rod to use for top water/jerk bait/buzz bait all on the same rod I am using a burner 7.1:1 reel and I dont use each one enough to have a seperate set up for each. What length and action rod should I get.
UKbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 11:49 PM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For some reason a lot of people like 6' or 6'6" rods for jerkbaits and topwater. I like 7' and would go with a Medium. It will help make longer casts with the buzzbait too. Rod brand is up to you but I like light weight rods for that since I am moving and jerking the whole rod a lot.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 11:50 PM   #3
UKbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the help
Old 01-20-09, 12:04 PM   #4
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
For some reason a lot of people like 6' or 6'6" rods for jerkbaits and topwater. I like 7' and would go with a Medium. It will help make longer casts with the buzzbait too. Rod brand is up to you but I like light weight rods for that since I am moving and jerking the whole rod a lot.
The shorter length rod makes twitch'in it much easier while point the rod tip at your lure. As you said, the negative part is you will loose some casting distance. I've compromised with a 6'6" length, and I fish out of any number of rowboats where I'm literally standing level with the waters surface.
Old 01-20-09, 12:24 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i throw my jerkbaits on 7' medium rods. but my buzzbaits get thrown on a 6'6'' medium heavy. the reason for the 6'6'' medium heavy for the buzzbaits is twofold. 1. i am usually throwning a buzzbait around some type of cover or structure and the shorter rod lets me make more accurate casts. 2. sense i keep the buzzbait moving then there is no slack that i have to worry about taking up on a hookset so really there is no advantage for a 7'er over a 6'6'' rod for a buzzbait, at least in my opinion.

something to consider. if a fish eats a buzzbait, that is a lot of bait that you have to move on a hookset and it is usually a long ways from the boat, so a stiffer rod is a bonus here.

on a jerkbait a softer rod is a bonus because you can loose a lot of fish if your rod is too heavy, just like crankbaits.

just stop and consider these points and make your decision based on which problem you could overcome the easiest. that's my opinion anyways
Old 01-20-09, 12:34 PM   #6
rrw4258

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
i throw my jerkbaits on 7' medium rods. but my buzzbaits get thrown on a 6'6'' medium heavy. the reason for the 6'6'' medium heavy for the buzzbaits is twofold. 1. i am usually throwning a buzzbait around some type of cover or structure and the shorter rod lets me make more accurate casts. 2. sense i keep the buzzbait moving then there is no slack that i have to worry about taking up on a hookset so really there is no advantage for a 7'er over a 6'6'' rod for a buzzbait, at least in my opinion.

something to consider. if a fish eats a buzzbait, that is a lot of bait that you have to move on a hookset and it is usually a long ways from the boat, so a stiffer rod is a bonus here.

on a jerkbait a softer rod is a bonus because you can loose a lot of fish if your rod is too heavy, just like crankbaits.

just stop and consider these points and make your decision based on which problem you could overcome the easiest. that's my opinion anyways

I agree with what c-rig said about the shorter and stiffer rod for a buzzbait, i also fish mine on a 6'6" MH rod, but my jerkbaits also get fished on a 6'6" rod but it is a M rod.

Ryan
Old 01-20-09, 12:55 PM   #7
JB

I've always used a 5 ft 8 or 6 ft for jerkbaits, and a 6-6MH for soft jerkbaits or buzzbaits.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 02:58 PM   #8
UKbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all info guys
Old 01-20-09, 03:42 PM   #9
doc

Rod length to me is determined by where im gonna be fishing. Your shorter rods will cast more accurate but not as far, Longer rods will do the opposite.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 04:10 PM   #10
Wishing2BFishing

Doc,

I too base my decision on rod length on where I am fishing and not just what bait I am fishing. When I fish the Delaware River, I often throw crankbaits on 6'6" rods. In that situation, I generally do not need to cast far and I am usually running and gunning down the banks with the current. If I am going to fish a lake or a very large river where the casts will need to be longer, I will size up to 7' for my cranks. However, no matter where I am fishing, I always throw my stickbaits on a 7' rod.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 05:04 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For jerkbait, I use a a 6' M rod (I use a spinning rod, but would eventually like to switch to BC) For topwaters, I use a 6' M(ish) Cabela's Fish Eagle II that used to be 7' ML until I modified it. And for buzzbait, I prefer a longer rod, 7' usually, and in the MH range.

BB
Old 01-20-09, 05:13 PM   #12
JB

I'll find out this spring how to handle my first seven footer, I'll try not to slam the tailgate on the tip or whap it against the motor
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 05:35 PM   #13
cassidyta

It will take a cast or two but then you should have it down. I have a harder time switching back to the smaller ones after tossing the 7 footer for a while. I almost aways end up with a very short, loud cast on the first toss.

The only issues I have with the 7 footer come when I toss it from under a tree and don't look up first.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.