Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-05, 11:53 PM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Is it worth it?

When a place is so choked with weeds and gunk is it worth it to try to get something down in the water? I tried at a lake I fish and maybe was doing something wrong. All i did was pull in a ton of weeds every cast. I don't know if my bait went down even a foot. No problem on top though with horny toad type baits. Should I go to a one ounce weight or heavier and just let it sit there where the cast lands or am I wasting my time?

Bob
Old 08-10-05, 11:57 PM   #2
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

I would give the Florida rig a try. You rig it the same as a texas rig but you put a toothpick in the end of the bullet weight so it stays in place.................
Old 08-11-05, 12:11 AM   #3
bassinbob

I do have those little rubber things that you slide in the weight. You can't move the bait without covering your hook with a ton of weeds. I know the bass are in there because I caught them top water. I just want to fish different baits besides top water. I guess I should have said should i dead stick my baits. Then recast to a different spot.

Bob
Old 08-11-05, 12:12 AM   #4
Rodman_Rob

there are a few lakes around here that are just about impossible to fish unless you take a rake with you. I took my boat out to one a few weeks ago and could barely get anywhere because the weeds were dragging on the bottoms so bad, it didn't matter the water was 8 feet deep, there wasn't any open water for the boat to float on they were so thick.

I typically avoid these types of water as the fishing is just too frustrating and when you do catch a fish, often times it won't be coming out because of how easy it can tangle up in the weeds. These bodies of water can be rewarding if persistant.
Old 08-11-05, 08:16 AM   #5
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyas
I would give the Florida rig a try. You rig it the same as a texas rig but you put a toothpick in the end of the bullet weight so it stays in place.................
Dyas actually a Florida rig is a bullet weight that has a screw in wire on the top of it. "PEGGING" a weight is just that pegging it, whether it's with a toothpick or Peg-It or as PNJ likes to use rubber bands. You can peg a weight with any kind of rig. Mojo, Texas, even a C-rig. I personally don't like the Florida rig, I think it tears up the plastic too much, and is hard to keep staight, once you get a slight tear. ANd just getting it lined up correctly in the first place can be a pain.

Bassinbob,

Yes it definately can be worth your time to fish these waters, and yes they are also frustrating. A heavier weight can help, but switch to a Tungsten weigth is smaller in profile for the same weight just less size to it, so less resistance. Tubes internally weighted can also be easier to get through the stuff. Also grab a bottle of the cooking spray from one of those restaurants(Garlic Flavor preferred) and coat your lure wit it, helps keep some of the gunk off, by allowing it to slide through. I love this type of fishing, with the heavy weeds, but usually I use weightless plastics. You can hop them on top, or just wiggle them to get the bass to come out for it, instead of trying to go in after them. Also if you fish this a lot, take a rake out, and makes some holes in the stuff. Then you can hit these holes later, and I think you'll be happy with the results, or you can just make a Path. Also your Senko's type baits are good just dropping them in any pockets or holes you find. Good luck, but I'd say not many others will fish this place, so you can have your own gold mine of fishing if you use it.

Lizards
Old 08-11-05, 10:27 AM   #6
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I agree with what Lizard said. Use a tube with the interal weight or a Tiki stick or something. Pegging your weight on a worm is good too. It's frustrating but you could catch a monster if they are there! Good luck!

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-05, 10:39 AM   #7
BassQualifier
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 1.5 Ounce Weight

Here are some tips to fish HEAVY mats of grass that you are talking about. Here was what I recommend:
  • Use a 1.5 ounce florida-rig (screw-in style) bullet sinker. This is some heavy weight that will punch down through the grass and get under those mats. Just pitch and flip to any holes in the grass you may find.
  • Use a slender soft plastic bait. Don't use a bulky plastic bait because it will be harder to get it through the mat of weeds. Also, do not use a soft plastic bait that has a curly tail on it. Curly tails do not slide through grass easily... only straight tailed baits do.
  • Use a very oily fish scent to make your bait slide through the weeds easier. Also helps get more bites!
  • Use spiderwire stealth or power pro when fishing this thick stuff. It cuts right through the grass and will let you "pop" your bait out of the grass if you catch some grass on your bait.
  • Last but not least, PATIENCE. You will pull up lots of weeds. Sometimes it seems like that is all your doing. Just keep fishin in the thick stuff cause that's where the bass are hiding. You'll catch em in no time.
Keep Fishin!
Qualifier
BassQualifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-05, 11:19 AM   #8
shaft04092
BassFishin.Com Active Member

the river i fish in near my house has several spots with the grass spots u talk off.12 in. smallmouth pulled out by my 7 year old niece.so if u can put up with the crap that goes with it it can deffinetly be worth while
shaft04092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-05, 12:37 PM   #9
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thers a pond like that around here and my dad has caught acouple big bass out of 8+lbs. I say if you can put up with it it should probably be worth it.
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-05, 09:40 AM   #10
pig n jig

It depends on what type of depth you are talking about and whether there are deep water near by, the stretch nearer the deeper water will be the best place to fish.You need a buoy marker, once you get a bite , be sure you mark the area so you can saturate the surrounding area , usually there are more than one fish in that area in the weedbed.I personally prefer these areas to fish, because they can hold alot of fish and most people get frustrated trying to fish the heavy weeds.Remember the more bites you don't get flipping through the weedbed, increases your chance of finding the fish and catching fish.Most people give up to easily after 90 or 100 flips and no bites.The fish are there somewhere, you have got to systematically search until you find them.Once you find the depth that they are in, you can duplicate that by fishing the same depth in another area of weeds. They either hold to depth or bottom terrain, by that I mean if the bottom substance changes from mud to sand, or hard bottom. That area is usually about the size of a car hood but will hold the majority of fish in the weedbed.I ideally look for weedbeds that range with water depth of 4-9 feet deep.There are times you will find them in shallower water, so use a grid system to fish all deths to determine where they are.I hope this helps.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-05, 11:38 AM   #11
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

i would use topwaters......and florida rigs. the main thing you need is to have the bait between the top and the bottom. you dont want it right at the bottom. really skinny bullet weights, and a soft plastic LOADED with scent(for lubrication) should work.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.