Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-10, 06:36 PM   #1
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Reel Maintenance

Ever wonder what was inside of your Revo? This is a 2009 SX ready to go into the ultrasonic cleaner. The Revo line are all about the same, plus or minus a bearing a two.

Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-10, 10:22 PM   #2
MississippiBoy

If I did that to one of my reels, I might as well throw it in the garbage. I'd have better luck getting it all back together by putting all the pieces into a paper bag and shaking it really hard.
Old 10-12-10, 10:32 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
If I did that to one of my reels, I might as well throw it in the garbage. I'd have better luck getting it all back together by putting all the pieces into a paper bag and shaking it really hard.
HAHAHA, I'm right there with ya buddy!!! I really admire guys like Tavery who can do this.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-10, 07:25 AM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Man, I don't think I could do that to my reels. Actually, like MB and Keith, I could... I just couldn't get it back together.

I pretty much stick to basic maintenance. flushing bearings, cleaning parts and re greasing/oiling.

I need one of those ultrasonic cleaners for my bearings though, lol.

BB
Old 10-13-10, 07:54 AM   #5
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Same here. I did, on one occasion, disassemble one of my older reels. It was interesting to see all the parts, but I already had a winter-time hobby, so I didn't make a serious effort toward getting it back together. I do admire those with that level of patience however.

/
Old 10-13-10, 09:38 AM   #6
bamabassman

tavery, like the above posts, i would NEVER be able to put it all back together, hahaha. i am only asking ok? but you DO know how to reassemble it right? hahaha. i did that to one of my ol ZEBCO 33's once, not a complicated reel like the revo, but i STILL couldn't get it back together, lmao. now i send mine off if there is a problem.
Old 10-13-10, 01:43 PM   #7
66KingFisher

Lets see.....Drag washer #4 goes to quadrant 6.....brass gear #2 goes to quadrant 8.....short screw #9 and washer #2 go to quadrant 16, and so on and so forth......lol.....I don't know what you guys are complaining about, I don't see a problem.

Hahaha....Actually, having spent some 24 years of my adult life as a field service tech, repairing copiers and printing presses, I get goosebumps when I see stuff like that....lol....Makes me feel right at home....You go Tavery!

By the way, my last couple of fishing trips, I noticed sounds in both my baitcaster and spinning reel that let me know I need to blow them apart and maintanance them too...They've been used hard and put up wet alot this year so they are due.
Old 10-13-10, 02:57 PM   #8
bamabassman

Well now i know of a few "friends" that i can send my reels to so they can "blow" them apart and service them properly right? Hahahaha, i WILL remember this guys. So beware.......ya'll will be getting quite a few pm's from folks i am sure.
Old 10-13-10, 05:02 PM   #9
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
tavery, like the above posts, i would NEVER be able to put it all back together, hahaha. i am only asking ok? but you DO know how to reassemble it right? hahaha. i did that to one of my ol ZEBCO 33's once, not a complicated reel like the revo, but i STILL couldn't get it back together, lmao. now i send mine off if there is a problem.

LOL, I get them right most of the time, there has been a time or two when I have had to take them back down to correct a mistake. I always use a schematic and I usually do several a week this time of year. I am an Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic by trade so it kinda plays into one of my stronger areas.

I suggest doing as much of your own maintenance as possible, you will become very familar with your reels, and know instantly when there is a problem. Saves a little money also.
Old 10-13-10, 05:17 PM   #10
WaffleJaw

I agree on doing your own maintance if you know how..Im not great by any means,lol,but I try damnit.
Im still trying to find the schematics for a Silvermax...Apparently its not on the Garcia website...But they have the gold,and blackmax's available??
Old 10-13-10, 05:42 PM   #11
Jrob78

I do all my own maintenance too, always have. I screw up sometimes but it feels really good to know that you can take care of your own equipment and make it run at its peak. The only way to learn is by trying and subsequently screwing up every now and then.

I haven't completely broken a reel down like Tav, but pretty close. As long as you don't lose any parts you can figure out how to get it back together. Schematics help a lot.

Last edited by Jrob78; 10-13-10 at 06:16 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-10, 06:12 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
I agree on doing your own maintance if you know how..Im not great by any means,lol,but I try damnit.
Im still trying to find the schematics for a Silvermax...Apparently its not on the Garcia website...But they have the gold,and blackmax's available??
Give mike's reel repair website a try. They have a lot of schematics. If they don't have the one you need, I'd try emailing and see if they can get it for you.

BB
Old 10-13-10, 06:41 PM   #13
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schem...r_Max_1700.pdf

As Biggins mentioned mikes reel repair has allot of schematics online, I think this may be what you are looking for.
Old 10-13-10, 06:44 PM   #14
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Man, I don't think I could do that to my reels. Actually, like MB and Keith, I could... I just couldn't get it back together.

I pretty much stick to basic maintenance. flushing bearings, cleaning parts and re greasing/oiling.

I need one of those ultrasonic cleaners for my bearings though, lol.

BB

Did you get a set of pliers made?
Old 10-13-10, 06:46 PM   #15
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
Well now i know of a few "friends" that i can send my reels to so they can "blow" them apart and service them properly right? Hahahaha, i WILL remember this guys. So beware.......ya'll will be getting quite a few pm's from folks i am sure.

Always willing to help a friend.
Old 10-13-10, 08:52 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post

Not yet... somehow my 4 day weekend slipped by without me getting much of anything done. lol.

BB
Old 10-18-10, 10:06 PM   #17
Old Hooker

I'm glad some of you guys have the patience and skill to do that kind of work. As long as you guys are around, I know I will always have someone I can pay to put mine back together when I screw it up.
Old 10-19-10, 03:13 PM   #18
walkeraviator

sweet... i know i am capable of doing this to my reels, but needed schematics to do it. I am the kind of guy that buys a collection of specific parts that makes me happy and builds my own... whether it be an AR-15 or chevy smallblock..

I have two old abu garcia maxxars i have been fishing with for probably 15 years or more and lately they dont sound or act as smooth as they used too... i would like to fix em and now i can... because they actullay have the schematic on that site you guys posted...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 04:48 PM   #19
DVT Mike

I got a Revo STX in a bag-o-parts not long ago. Even with experience it's a challenge.
Old 11-04-10, 08:54 PM   #20
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I get a quite few of those " reel in a bag shipments " every year. You don't realize just how easy it is to forget how a part fits together or which way something faced until you are trying to put a reel back together and you are looking at a part with that deer in the headlights look. Lots of sites have tutorials that say to lay everything out in order or in sections etc. Thats good in theory, but then you need to clean those parts, get them dry and put them back in order. Then there is the problem of how the part fit, not just where it went. It's very easy to forget which way a spring faced or which one of those little shims and clips went where. The best tip i can give someone is to take lots of pictures. Just as soon as you take a few parts off or a side cover. snap several pictures of the parts laying in order and also take pictures of the parts before you take them off or out. Keep taking pictures as new parts become visible to have a record of exactly what it looked like assembled. I have been doing this long enough that I can usually just know where it goes, but I still get reels that I have not worked on before. On those reels I take pictures and I also make notes with little drawings indicating where a certan screw went or exactly wich way a part faced etc. If you are careful when you take it apart, take pictures and notes, then you should be able to get it back together. Schematics are nice, but they are one dimensional and often so fuzzy that you can't identify some of the parts let alone see how it hooks to the reel.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 07:33 AM   #21
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Not yet... somehow my 4 day weekend slipped by without me getting much of anything done. lol.

BB
Tav, I did end up getting a pair made, partially.

After managing nothing but a dimple in the metal with a regular drill bit, my dad talked to a machinist friend of his. He said we needed a high speed drill bit. We ended up with one made of Cobalt, and it worked fine. All I've got left to do is figure out how to get the small pin in the pliers to push the spool pin all the way out, unless I want to use a small punch. I'm also going to coat the pliers with some type of liquid rubber to protect the spool shaft more. I'll post some pics when I get it done.

BB
Old 11-07-10, 09:59 PM   #22
DVT Mike

Be very careful with the Revo spool pin. They fit tight and only come out one way. One end is slightly larger diameter.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.