Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-08, 05:02 PM   #1
damian2b
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Simple Newbie type question...

Hi everyone. Just a quick question. Is it better to always tie on a new lure/hook/jig? Or can clips/clasps be used dependent upon the set up? I know with hooks/worm presentations I always use a knot and never a clip but wasnt sure if this made a difference with cranks or jerkbaits. Clips obviously make it easier to switch baits but do they take away from performance at all?

Thank you!!
Old 02-21-08, 05:15 PM   #2
wargoth

Clasp/swivels will almost always inhibit the action of your lure, and are a potential point of failure. Whether or not you use them is up to you, but I for one rarely use them unless trolling for walleye, or fishing with spoons and spinners for steelhead. When it comes to bass I always tie on.
Old 02-21-08, 05:33 PM   #3
Texas_Justice85
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote=wargoth;177458]Clasp/swivels will almost always inhibit the action of your lure, and are a potential point of failure.quote]

Thats right on
Old 02-21-08, 05:39 PM   #4
damian2b

Awesome that's definitely the info I was looking for......I figured they had some type of effect but whether or not that effect was a positive one I was not sure. I appreciate the advice.
Old 02-21-08, 05:55 PM   #5
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

For me, if it's finesse fishing of any kind you are much better off tying directly to the hook...you can get away with a swivel on crankbaits and spoons atleast until you acquire an arsenal of rod/reels so you can prepare each setup accordingly....more importantly however, work on your knot tying skills...such as the palomar or improved clinch knot...it's amazing how many fish people lose from poor knots...it's one of my priorities before going out on the water..check the lines & knots!! Because in the end the only thing between you and the fish is the line and even if my reel fails or my rod breaks I can pull 'em in by hand...and I've done it before
Old 02-21-08, 06:55 PM   #6
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian2b View Post
Hi everyone. Just a quick question. Is it better to always tie on a new lure/hook/jig? Or can clips/clasps be used dependent upon the set up? I know with hooks/worm presentations I always use a knot and never a clip but wasnt sure if this made a difference with cranks or jerkbaits. Clips obviously make it easier to switch baits but do they take away from performance at all?

Thank you!!
I sometimes use a small red clip when I am throwing a crankbait, especially if I am trying to narrow down a color or depth. They do not hamper the action dramatically, in fact they will allow a greater degree of wobble due to the freedom to move. That's the plus side.
The minus is that most folks put a clip on there and leave it. This means you typically forget about the knot you tied the clip with. After a while they will wear down on you and they will eventually break, especially on Flourocarbon. It's the same as if you never untied your crankbait and left it on there for several trips and only used that bait. It will wear I promise.

The best thing to do is re-ty frequently, especially with crankbaits and spinnerbaits (and anything else for that matter). I will still use my clips when I am in the search mode, but once I find my bait I will tie directly to the bait and re-ty often especially if I am catching fish!
Old 02-21-08, 06:56 PM   #7
Cranebird

Are you talking about a Duo snap ?
Old 02-21-08, 07:47 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i never use a swivel unless i just have to. the more things you put between you and your bait, the more chances of something going wrong. i would suggest you tie directly to the bait whenever you can. i have even gone to carolina keepers on my c-rigs to do away with the swivel.
Old 02-21-08, 08:34 PM   #9
keithdog

I only use a clip/snap when I am casting crankbaits. And that is only if there is no split ring to tie to. For crankbaits that have no split ring, it is recommended to use a snap to allow the lure to attain better action. However, if there is a split ring, there is no need to use a snap. I prefer to tie dirrectly to the split ring. Bob was right on about forgetting to retie your snaps when you do use them. I've been guilty of that myself too many times. And I sometimes have payed for it.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 09:39 PM   #10
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargoth View Post
Clasp/swivels will almost always inhibit the action of your lure, and are a potential point of failure.
and at the buzzer wargoth is half wrong.... yes the swivel/clasp is a failure point. but in most cases it does NOT inhibit the lure action.. it even adds to the action.. example you get better action with a spook,prop bait, crankbait, and jerkbait with a swivel/clasp. that lil bit of play adds a great deal more action then it would if ya hooked dead up..

ask your self this why is a rapala knot or a king sling knot recomended on crankbaits?? the loop on both of these knots have, give's the baits more freedom to move..why are speed traps-crankbaits- sold with a coast lock clasp?? see above...

i prefure a coastlock ball bearing swivel/clasp set ups on my top water baits..

zooker
Old 02-21-08, 10:24 PM   #11
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Crankbaits and Carolina-Rigs. Period!

-Lunk-
Old 02-22-08, 12:37 AM   #12
wargoth

Odd, I often find the action hindered by swivels Zook, Then again, it could be that I tend to use alot of very small cranks (f-3, f-5 raps and the like) it seams like when I am doing anything but trolling, they just bind up in the tieloop. My opinion/imagination/wrong swivels maybe.
Old 02-22-08, 09:45 AM   #13
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargoth View Post
Odd, I often find the action hindered by swivels Zook, Then again, it could be that I tend to use alot of very small cranks (f-3, f-5 raps and the like) it seams like when I am doing anything but trolling, they just bind up in the tieloop. My opinion/imagination/wrong swivels maybe.
The clips I use are a small wire type clip, no swivel. I'm not sure which ones Zook is using. I have several sizes that I use and all of them are lighter and less impactive than even a split ring. Even with that, after I find my magic bait, I tie directly to the split ring if there is one, or the line eye if there isn't. I will try to get a picture when the rain clears off and I can get in my boat.
Old 02-22-08, 02:31 PM   #14
damian2b

Thanks for the information. I guess due to me only having 3 rods the swivel allows me to be more efficient with switching out my set up. I like the idea of using the swivel until finding what is working for the day and then removing the swivel to just use the working lure. I guess I am in favor of having one less thing in between my line the lure and the fish. My issue is I have plenty of lures/softplastics and not enough rods to throw them all on! I am not sure but I think I just talked myself into a trip to BPS.
Old 02-22-08, 04:50 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Before I new some faster, better knots, I used swivels. I really don't anymore though. For braid, I use the Polomar: It's fast and easy. For fluoro and sometimes mono, I use the Clinch knot: also fast and easy. and for mono I use the Trilene knot: easy, not very fast, but it's a very strong knot.

After a couple of experiences this past summer, I've almost completely eliminated snap swivels.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.