Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-08, 08:49 PM   #1
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Skipping

Give me some tips on skipping under boat docks, please. Such as:
1.Rod length, action and brand.
2.Line size, type, brand.
3.Favorite baits along with hook sizes.
4.Type of reel.
5.Techniques you use.
6. Any other tips you can think of.
Thanks.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 08:57 AM   #2
Fish2win

I use a 6 foot med heavy action series one from Berkley that has a pistol grip. That grip makes it easier to roll cast an angle that will allow the lure to skip. In some cases you can even get way back with out skipping. That is the only good use I have for a pistol grip rod. When I bought that rod 20 years ago it was a high tech rod.Fish2win
Old 06-18-08, 09:51 AM   #3
tnfisherman

i like a medium heavy spinning rod with a good reel ,, it all depends of the condtions on what bait i throw... line i use braid alot
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 10:25 AM   #4
pignjig

I use a 6' MH, too. Lightning rod and a St. Croix rods. Pluegar President spinning reels with 8 or 10# mono/fluoro or 25# braid. 8# Trilene XT is the shizzle as far as strength and abrasion resistance for under docks. The only braid I use is PowerPro, but there are other good brands out there.
Most baits are plastic like tubes (T-rigged and jigged), worms, creature baits, etc. Tubes, although out of favor now, are excellent skipping baits and can be very productive under docks. BPS has a great selection of smaller Tender Tubes and 3dkicker has some excellent 4" and larger.
As far as hard baits like jigs, my favorites are the Thunderstruck jigs. The Thunderstrucks, I've found, are great for a lot of reasons but especially for skipping because they don't lose their skirts like some of the others.
On smaller baits I'll go as small as a 1/0 and go up as far as 4/0 on big ol' stuff. The problem is that the bigger you go and the longer the bait, the more difficult it is to skip correctly. Also, I usually peg the T-rigged stuff so the weight doesn't separate too much and foul up the skip.
As far as technique, I guess everybody's got their own style that works. Depending on how far away from the target, I just get the tip of the rod close to the water, bring it back with wrist action until the rod loads up and then send it sailing toward the awaiting hawg. It's almost like a golf swing, there are certain basics to understand, but after that, you can develop your own style.
Good luck, man!

Last edited by pignjig; 06-18-08 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Left out important stuff...
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.