Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-08, 04:09 PM   #1
Showda
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Crankbaits

I was using crankbaits on a lake in Virginia yesterday and was catching a lot of fish, but also having a lot of trouble keeping the bass on. Is this a problem with the speed I am fishing them, or a hook set problem? I was using Bandit 200 and 300 series baits.
Showda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 04:59 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

this is a job for da zookmaster. but i think that he will tell ya to replace the hooks with bigger ones.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 06:10 PM   #3
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showda View Post
I was using crankbaits on a lake in Virginia yesterday and was catching a lot of fish, but also having a lot of trouble keeping the bass on. Is this a problem with the speed I am fishing them, or a hook set problem? I was using Bandit 200 and 300 series baits.
In my opinion, that's just the nature of the beast when using crankbaits. Like I always say, Crankbaits will hook and hold anything but a bass. A few things you can do is use better and bigger treble hooks but if you get them too big they'll tangle and may throw the action off so be moderate. Another thing you can do is get a softer action rod specially made for crankbaits to cushion the fight. Many of the crankbait rods are fiberglass. I can't use a glass rod all day. Way too heavy, at least the ones I've tried. I use a G. Loomis crankbait rod. It's graphite and light. Another thing is use a line with a lot of stretch like mono. Again, it cushions the fight. Loosen the drag so a big(er) fish doesn't rip free. Also, when I get a big fish close to the boat, I push the button on the reel and put it in free spool and let my thumb serve as the drag. When the fish is close to the boat is the most critical time and the time it's most likely to rip free because you don't have much line out to cushion the fight. I don't trust the drag but I do trust my thumb. I can put just the right amount of pressure on the fish when it makes that inevitable surge at boatside by using my thumb as a drag.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 06:59 PM   #4
zooker

i prefure a longer shanked treble on the bandit 100's but your trouble stems from drag setting likely...

zooker
Old 08-09-08, 09:52 PM   #5
Showda
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys. I think I will try the longer shank hooks. I also have the Little John from Spro and noticed it has longer shank treble hooks than the bandit, but havn't tried it yet because they are shallow diving and these bass were a little deeper. I also think I was trying to horse them into the boat too quick to prevent them from coming off, but was only working against myself.
Showda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 11:36 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

i like to replace my crankbait hooks with mustad triple grips, these are one of (if not the) best crankbait hooks out there. also when you get a bite you don't "set" the hook, it is more of a long sweep of the rod putting pressure on the fish. and manage the drag like mentioned above.
Old 08-09-08, 11:42 PM   #7
Rebbasser

Might be a hookset problem, too. If you are actively setting the hook like you do with a worm or jig you might be tearing a hole in the fish's mouth that allows the fish to throw the hook. I usually just keep reeling when the rod loads up and that usually does the trick.
Old 08-10-08, 02:59 AM   #8
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think the culprit might be the hookset if you are trying the 'cross their eyes' hookset.

My take is to use super sharp hooks from the get go and my favs or either VMCs or Triple Grips. When they are sharp, the fish practically impale themselves and the only thing you need to do is reel up the slack to add tension to the line. That is how I do it and I rarely lose a crankbait fish.
Old 08-15-08, 12:02 AM   #9
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Like everyone else said hook set is very important! Like C-rig has said, triple girp hooks do make a bit of difference, but I'm not 100% sold on them yet. I LOVE crankbaits, but I do too loose a lot of fish. But I'm still learning, and here are a couple of things I've learned this year. Up grade your hook size! I've up graded my hooks and noticed alot less fish flying off. People say it does alter the action of the bet, but I don't think so. Second is play the fish like you're using 4lb line! Do not get in a hurry, just keep tention and let the fish do what he wants, but with you have to keep him from jumping. So if you don't horse him in he is less likely to jump and throw the bait.
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-08, 08:58 AM   #10
Fishnngolfn

Sometimes I like it when they jump. It draws the attention of my buddies fishing around me. I am usually quiet when fishing and like to surprise my buddies with my catches. But if we are not fishing, I will talk your ear off.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-08, 09:50 AM   #11
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
I think the culprit might be the hookset if you are trying the 'cross their eyes' hookset.

My take is to use super sharp hooks from the get go and my favs or either VMCs or Triple Grips. When they are sharp, the fish practically impale themselves and the only thing you need to do is reel up the slack to add tension to the line. That is how I do it and I rarely lose a crankbait fish.
Yep. Just reel really fast and then slightly put your rod to the side to keep the tension on. Use big hooks, and make sure you can see how the fish is hooked before you start pulling too hard.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-08, 10:07 AM   #12
Fishnngolfn

If you are not sure if you have a great hookset, try to keep it from jumping and let it tire itself out.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.