Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-08, 03:22 PM   #1
TravisRush
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Crappie patterns?

I noticed that most of the lakes in San Diego (going to fish there in July-August) have black and white crappie as well. What would be a good bait to match their color? I would like to find a crank or two with the patterns of each.
TravisRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 04:15 PM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageBAGHARD-BBF.html
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 04:18 PM   #3
pig n jig

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...MATT-MLBG.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...ATT-MLUBG.html
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 07:35 PM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think you could do better with tubes or grubs like twister tails..chartruse, or pink. white, black and blue, red and green combos...all the above work in almost all lakes with crappie
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 07:40 PM   #5
TravisRush

I'm not trying to catch the crappie. I'm trying to catch the bass feeding off of the crappie...tryin to match the forage in these lakes.
Old 12-14-08, 09:25 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisRush View Post
I'm not trying to catch the crappie. I'm trying to catch the bass feeding off of the crappie...tryin to match the forage in these lakes.
i have always heard and it almost makes sense to me that bass don't eat crappie. i have always heard that the dorsal fin on crappie is too long, sharp, and stout and causes the fish to get wedged in the bass' mouth and they can't swallow them. this past summer while flipping boat docks i noticed something on the surface of the water. when i got up to it, it was a bass with a crappie wedged in it's mouth. the crappie was small enough that if it wasn't for the sharp dorsal fin the bass could have easily swallowed the crappie, but the bass was instead trying to get the crappie loose. there is no doubt in my mind that both fish would have died had i not reached down there and picked them up, and after some struggling i was able to free the crappie from the bass' mouth and released them (on opposite sides of the boat lol). like i said i can't swear that bass won't eat crappie but i tend to believe it.
Old 12-15-08, 03:23 AM   #7
TravisRush

Would they eat the bluegill?
Old 12-15-08, 08:22 AM   #8
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

yes they eat bluegill, but i found a fish in the same shape as c-rig. only mine had eaten a bluegill that was just too big...not a happy ending in my case.

btw the bass was a 10lbr and the bluegill would easily have been hand-sized. all i could see was his tail
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 01:36 PM   #9
Bryan

Mattlures makes a nice crappie swimbait. I've caught a few bass on it, but nothing over 4lbs yet.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 03:10 PM   #10
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
yes they eat bluegill, but i found a fish in the same shape as c-rig. only mine had eaten a bluegill that was just too big...not a happy ending in my case.

btw the bass was a 10lbr and the bluegill would easily have been hand-sized. all i could see was his tail

Never personally seen it happen. But there are stories from the crappie fishermen who fish Monticello (the same lake lowrider is refrencing with the 10lber chokin on a huge bream) of pulling in a crappie and a big bass steals it from them.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 03:34 PM   #11
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Never personally seen it happen. But there are stories from the crappie fishermen who fish Monticello (the same lake lowrider is refrencing with the 10lber chokin on a huge bream) of pulling in a crappie and a big bass steals it from them.
It's almost happened to me a couple times while crappie fishing. Bass definitely have preferences, but if really hungry they will eat whatever fits in their mouth. Don't ask me what a bass thinks it's eating when it hits a chartreuse buzzbait
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 04:08 PM   #12
Raul

You really donīt have to "match" anything for the bait to be effective, bass arenīt finicky eaters as, for example, trout. For bass as long as it looks edible and an easy prey is more than enough for them to bite, normally if a bass follows your bait and doesnīt bite it means that thereīs something wrong with the presentation.

You might ask why is this dude telling such thing when many proīs say you should "match the hatch/forage", where I live bass have never seen a trout and most probably will never see one but still trout ( rainbow and brown ) pattern baits are as effective as shad ( which we also donīt have in our waters ), bluegill ( which we do have ), tilapia ( which we also have ).

Good examples of bass pouncing on something that doesnīt resemble anything they could eat would be spinnerbaits.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.