Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-08, 02:12 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default New setup question

Since my family and I have run into a bit of a financial bind, I do not foresee purchasing any expensive fishing equipment in the near future. That obviously includes my plastic setup (Shimano Chronarch 50MG with Falcon Lowrider “weightless worm” rod) any time soon.

My goal is to make a permanent switch to just using my baitcaster for my plastics. I have figured out (with the much needed help of others on this site) the settings to adjust it for any situation. My question is this -

Can I use my current baitcaster and rod combo for weightless plastic applications?
Would it be sensitive enough? Is it too much rod and reel to throw light baits with accuracy and consistency?
Rod - Berkley Lightning Rod Classic, 6' 6", Medium, Lure 1/4 - 3/4
Reel - Abu Garcia ambassadeur SilverMax baitcaster

I plan to spool the reel with 30 lb braid and use a 15 lb PLine CFX fluoro leader. This is also the lightest line weight I want to throw.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-08, 02:19 PM   #2
Jim80

I think for the money the lighting rod is fine , currently it is what I use for all my weightless plastics . As towards the Bc I use a spinning reel for my weightless and anything I add weight to I throw from my bc , I've just found it easier for the moment

Jim

Last edited by Jim80; 10-18-08 at 02:28 PM.
Jim80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-08, 08:22 PM   #3
Fishnngolfn

I tried to use it briefly tonight. I kept pulling every one of my casts to the left when I casted sidearm and threw everything straight down when I casted overhead. I am releasing everything too late since it is so light. Very few backlashes since I was being careful. I guess it will take so more practice.
Old 10-18-08, 10:32 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i LOVE THE LIGTHING ROD !!!!!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 09:24 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

FnG, I find the better reels are better at throwing lighter baits. some people may tell you that price has nothing to do with how far it will throw a light bait, but I still think it generally does. Also, a slower action rod can help. So if you're fishing a fast action, maybe move down to a medium action. Although this could, and probably will affect your hooksets.

BB
Old 10-19-08, 09:26 AM   #6
Jim80

You know I've said it before but the pinnacle 100 is a solid cheap reel for throwing light baits I know zook will agree to that and they only run about 40 dollars .

Jim
Old 10-19-08, 04:53 PM   #7
bhfishman
BassFishin.Com Member

FNG, I throw the weightless trick stick or senko type product a lot. I typically will use a medium power rod, 6'6" with a reel that is 6:3:1. I have found that this set up works extremely well and I think that you are pretty close to that. You can spend as much or as little as you want on a set up like this.
In the past, I have said that I am a St. Croix nut for rods but I certainly didn't start there. I started with an old Quantum combo from Wally World and made it work for a year before I went to the Bionic Blade from BP. I did however notice a large difference when I switched and a large difference in reel performance as BigBassin said.
You do want as sensitive of a rod as you can get since some of th bites that come on the weightless trick sticks are so suttle or they just start running with it.
The only time I use a spinning set up is when I am skipping lures under docks or low hanging trees. They are a lot more forgiving in the backlash area when the lure starts to skip than a baitcaster.
Work with what you have and it will be fine.
Old 10-19-08, 05:08 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

You want sensitivity, get a Loomis. I can cast a weightless plastic on my dad's 7' MH Loomis/Daiwa Zillion combo pretty well. Some lighter line and maybe a softer rod would get it even farther. Most sensitive rod I've ever used by the way.

BB
Old 10-23-08, 01:02 AM   #9
islandbass

Don't worry about what others are using. I think the rod you are using is fine, especially because of the braid. About the reel, I really can't say. Not all bc reels are equal when it comes to lighter weights.

For example, my shimano curado reels (BSF and Ds) are able to toss 3/16 oz with ease, but I have to really work to fine tune my Trion and Round Reels to attain the same performance castibility. It could just be me, but that is my experience.

If by weightless plastics you mean a 5" senko, then any reel worth its weight should be able to cast/toss this lure. Why? Because all on its own it weighs about 3/8 oz. Yep! Even without a hook.
Old 10-23-08, 02:30 PM   #10
Raul

I donīt get it where people have that idea that a 5 inch senko is a "weightless" bait , if in your mind weightless = no sinker then you are right, but if in your mind weightless = light weight then you are absolutely wrong, a 5 inch senko is a pretty beefy and heavy bait weighting well over 1/4 oz and any baitcaster can cast it.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 04:55 PM   #11
Fishnngolfn

When I asked the question, I meant very lightweight plastics. I have some plastics that are very beefy and heavy and the baitcaster has no problem throwing those. But when I get to plastics (plus the hook) that are less than 1/4 oz, I have a little trouble using the baitcaster with any kind of accuracy. I typically "hook" the cast. What I mean by "hook" is that when casting right handed (sidearm). I tend to hit way left of my intended target, usually the bank when I am trying to cast down the bank. If I try an overhand cast, it hits the water way to early and causes a backlash sometimes if I am not careful.
Old 10-23-08, 05:20 PM   #12
bamabassman

f&g, have ya got a small openface setup? that is what i use for throwing real lightweight lures. i too have a very hard time casting 1/8 or smaller lures with my baitcasters. so i know what you are going through pal. wally world has openface setups real cheap, 15 bucks. don't last very long, but cheap.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 05:37 PM   #13
Fishnngolfn

I have a great open faced reel that I normally use for all my plastics (lightweight 3 inch worms to heavier 7 inch creature baits). It is a nice Abu Garcia with a 6.5' cherrywood rod. I was just wondering if my current baitcaster would be good for plastics. I have found out over the past 2 days out at the retention ponds that it would be fine but not from the bank. I lose way too much distance and accuracy with my current baitcaster. Sometimes I cannot even get it to the edge of the weed beds. I will just stick with my Abu Garcia open faced for my plastics from the bank. I will likely just use the baitcaster for crank baits and heavier setups.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.