Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-06, 01:04 PM   #1
bubba bass bigfoot
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question How do u use a BAITCASTER

how do u use a baitcaster without backlash. or just properly i have tryed but i think the reel sucked anyways. but i have always used spinning or spincast reels. so can you help.
thanks
bubba bass bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 01:29 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

bigfoot,
take that baitcaster, and first take the brake(left side usually on reel ) and set it to zero, tie on a bait of any weight, and raise your rod tip to a 45 degree angle up towards the sky, and push in on the thumb bar, see how far the bait drops. AFter you have that adjusted, you can put the brake back up to about the 1/2 way mark 5 out of a 10 setting..
If it drops to fast, you'll probably get backlash. I like my lure to drop about 10 inches and then STOP on its own...you can adjust the line drop (usually on the right side of the reel) till your lure drops about 10 inches..others may tell you that they don't let the lure drop at all, its a matter of personnal preference and conditions.
Once you cast, make sure your thumb is ever so lightly riding in the spool of line, that way you can control the speed also
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 01:50 PM   #3
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
bigfoot,
take that baitcaster, and first take the brake(left side usually on reel ) and set it to zero, tie on a bait of any weight, and raise your rod tip to a 45 degree angle up towards the sky, and push in on the thumb bar, see how far the bait drops. AFter you have that adjusted, you can put the brake back up to about the 1/2 way mark 5 out of a 10 setting..
If it drops to fast, you'll probably get backlash. I like my lure to drop about 10 inches and then STOP on its own...you can adjust the line drop (usually on the right side of the reel) till your lure drops about 10 inches..others may tell you that they don't let the lure drop at all, its a matter of personnal preference and conditions.
Once you cast, make sure your thumb is ever so lightly riding in the spool of line, that way you can control the speed also
I do pretty much the same thing except I set 2 brakes on (Shimano) then adjust the tension knob to where the spool stops when the bait hits the ground. Thats setting is pretty loose and I wouldn't recommend it for somebody just starting out.

The best advice I can give is don't try and cast very hard. Start easy and work your way up. If you try and really throw it out there the spool will overrun and backlash.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 02:12 PM   #4
bubba bass bigfoot

ok thanks yeah the baitcaster i have is a Shimano.
Old 04-21-06, 02:40 PM   #5
flamez

lol people always try and throw the baitcaster a country mile their first try and it always ruins all the line i use il bassins way
Old 04-21-06, 02:42 PM   #6
flamez

atleast if its windy i do that if its not all that windy that reels setting is on 1 and the tension nob loosened a lil never really backlash with practice if u thumb the spool ofcourse if you are like me when in a boat u tend to hook into anything behind you and really have a bad time after you try and cast xD
Old 04-21-06, 02:50 PM   #7
bubba bass bigfoot

my baitcaster has a percition center spool thing and a magnetic control thing. no matter what i mess with, it drops to the ground very slowly. so whats up
Old 04-21-06, 04:12 PM   #8
KenDammit

theres a knob on the side where the reel handle is. You just turn it like you would a screw..left loosens it, right tightens it. Turn it to the left and your spool will spin a lot more freely. Turn it to the right to tighten things back up.

The way I learned(with ease) is put the brakes all the way on, then loosen the spool tension until the bait slowly falls down to the ground and the spool stops right there. Use a heavy bait..like a 3/8oz jig or a spinnerbait or something and just practice casting. The big part is the thumb control. You have to pay attention to the way you're lure is travelling and adjust the speed of the spool accordingly..and lastly, you should get used to stopping the spool just before your bait hits the water. Don't try throwing hard or far, just use a smooth motion and whip the bait out.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 05:51 PM   #9
Bass Ackwards

Also when throwing anything, if the nest occurs at the beginning of the cast adjust the spool tension (tighter) if it nests at the end of the cast adjust the magnetic break (more). That is assuming that you can throw it.
Bass Ackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 07:19 PM   #10
Rebbasser

Take a look here:

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm

Best site I have seen for properly setting up a baitcaster.
Old 04-21-06, 08:06 PM   #11
bubba bass bigfoot

thanks for the help everyone i can't beleave i learned how to use it in one day.
now im casting with it like its a spinning reel lol. thanks alot
Old 04-21-06, 08:15 PM   #12
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Three words of advice, buddy...

PRACTICE. PRACTICE. PRACTICE!

It'll be worth it!

Good Luck!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 08:27 PM   #13
JB

bigfoot,
also, don't forget that a heavy lure is easy to throw on a baitcaster, if you ever put on a super light weight lure, adjust your line drop and don't be suprised if you can't throw it as far, and its easier to backlash..its just part of the game, you have adjustments to make all day in fishing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 10:09 PM   #14
bubba bass bigfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
bigfoot,
also, don't forget that a heavy lure is easy to throw on a baitcaster, if you ever put on a super light weight lure, adjust your line drop and don't be suprised if you can't throw it as far, and its easier to backlash..its just part of the game, you have adjustments to make all day in fishing
lol well i thought i had it down lol untill the light lure.... and no matter what i do with the drop it still dont cast right. then i t backlashed and i got POed and gave up lol.
i need to get a better reel lol the one i have is pretty old so yeah.. and just now trying to use it.
Old 04-21-06, 10:32 PM   #15
IL.bassin36

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba bass bigfoot
lol well i thought i had it down lol untill the light lure.... and no matter what i do with the drop it still dont cast right. then i t backlashed and i got POed and gave up lol.
i need to get a better reel lol the one i have is pretty old so yeah.. and just now trying to use it.
You can only go so light. The stifness of the rod has alot to do with lure weight too.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 10:52 PM   #16
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

hey bigfoot...

where ya livin in ohio? I live in ohio too!

Ryan
Old 04-21-06, 11:32 PM   #17
bubba bass bigfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258
hey bigfoot...

where ya livin in ohio? I live in ohio too!

Ryan
i live Columbus
Old 04-22-06, 09:43 AM   #18
bassguy2004

I agree with Flyrod, practice, just practice. I was the hardest thing for me to do was learn how to use a baitcaster. I started with a Penn reel back in the day, only because I didn't know better. Just keep chuckin' it. Once you under stand the dynamics of the reel, it will become second nature to you to make the minor adjustments to make the casts longer and more true.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.