Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-07, 07:09 PM   #1
Nomad60
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Casting that country mile

After using spinning reels my whole life, I finally bought myself a bait caster reel (Shimano Calais CL200A) and put it on a medium-heavy 6' 6" St. Croix rod. I have the variable brake system set at 50% and have experimented with the casting knob after setting the reel up as recommended at this site. I primarily use a 1/2 oz. spinner bait and 1/2 oz. chatterbait on 10 pound line and my problem is; I can't seem to cast out more than 20, 25 yards. If I loosen the cast control knob any looser, I start getting backlashes while the lure is flying through the air. I've tried casting overhand, sideways etc, but just can't get any distance. I've watched other fishermen with bait casters and they get longer distance, using smaller lures. Is it just a matter of practice, practice, practice, or am I missing something?
Nomad60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 04:43 PM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

unfortunately, spinnerbaits are among the least aerodynamic lures to toss. If you were to toss a different lure of the same weight, say a rapala dt 6 crankbait of the same weight, given the same wind conditions, you'd cast the rapala farther.

25 yds for a spinnerbait seems fair given strong wind conditions. I think since you have a calais, you ought to get more distance. I know a curado d can cast mush farther than that, even a spinnerbait.

I guess it is just a matter of fine tuning the reel. Experiment with both the # of braker used and the cast control.

Since you say you are new to bait cast reels, starting with such a sweet reel might be the reason. Give your self some time to adjust to the awesomeness of a calais. (ie, your thumb is getting to need some jedi training.)
Old 07-29-07, 04:54 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think that just about any spinning outfit will out distance a baitcaster, but do you really need that much line out?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 05:12 PM   #4
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Just think, 25 yards is 75 feet, thats plenty of distance in my book.
Old 07-29-07, 05:56 PM   #5
hackattack
BassFishin.Com Active Member

try a trap...they cast extremely well
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 06:22 PM   #6
zooker

ib is correct the blade catchs the wind.. i use 3/8 and can get a decent 30-35 yards cast.. but i rarely cast that far most of my cast are 15-20 yards. with a blade presentation and accurcy is more important than distance.. crankbaits are where distance is needed..

zooker
Old 07-29-07, 07:02 PM   #7
zooker

i would like to add i have a casting range across my yard that i test every new reel to get optimal distance from.. i use the same 7 foot -its a shimano- rod and the same weight-casting plug- all of my crankbait reels will put it over the wire which is 50 yards away.. the longest caster i own is a pinnacle 100 that did it with 12 pound mono.. this helps in getting the most from your cast it also helps understand every reel. every reel has it's own traits some like it high and hard other prefure roll casting-short low cast-..finding this trait is highly important when you figure ya have 15+ reels..and you have to decied which one to use for what..

zooker
Old 07-29-07, 07:21 PM   #8
bassinbob

Zooker that sounds like a good idea- a casting range. Too bad my yard is not suited for that. Nomad see if you can get on a football field somewhere and practice there. Every cast will tell you how you are doing.

Bob
Old 07-29-07, 08:30 PM   #9
lizardsrule

WOW a Calais for your very first baitcast reel Must be nice to be RICH LOL. Anyways if you want added distance you will have to reduce the breaking system. However if you are getting backlashes consistantly now, it will only increase your backlashes. Try to take it down to just 2 brakes on, and the rest off and see how you do. Also throwing into the wind is not a great idea when learning a baitcaster. The Calais will cast as well as any baitcaster I've ever used. And I had 3 Calais at one time when I was rich rotflamo. However the OPERATOR, is usually the problem.

Lizards
Old 07-29-07, 08:59 PM   #10
Bender

The only thing that I have not seen added is with my Calcuttas and Chronarch Mg they do cast shorter when cold. I don't know where you are, but in the mornings it has been "almost" cool here in Michigan and I have noticed shorter casts. Also I maintained the reels myself with reel grease, this winter they are going to a pro.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 10:07 PM   #11
Gatrapper
BassFishin.Com Member

Dont try to force a long cast. Just do a nice toss. Everytime i try to do a long cast i get a birdsnest.
Gatrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 04:51 AM   #12
Nomad60
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks everyone...the reason I need more casting distance is because I'm fishing from shore. I currently work and live in South Korea and don't own a boat and the lake I like to fish is a reservoir that's used mainly for irrigation purposes and it has little or no cover or structure...the bottom is rocky, and the water clear. This time of year, the bass are out deeper...there's a deep channel that runs parallel to the shore but it's about 30 yards out and right now, and I'm thinking that's where they're at during the day. As for wind, I don't even take that reel out when it's windy...I've learned that lesson the hard way . And yeah, the reel was a little pricy but it could have been worse...I'd really love to get that Calais 4X8 DC...one of my friends has one and it's an amazing reel but if I spent that much on a reel, she-who-must-be-obeyed would have my hide.
I'll just keep on practicing and experimenting till I get it right. Again, thanks to all who answered!
Nomad60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 06:56 AM   #13
Rodman_Rob

i know some on here won't like this answer, but since you're fishing from shore and you need to hit that deeper water, try a deep diving crankbait or rattle trap tied onto a spinning reel with 20lbs braid on a 7 ft. rod. That should give you the distance you desire.
Old 07-30-07, 05:50 PM   #14
lizardsrule

One other tip for your backlashing. Cast out as far as you can, then pull of another 10-15 yards. Then put black electrical tape around the spool of line. This will keep the backlashes down to bearable. Plus you can't cast further than that anyways. After breakage, retying etc, just remove the tape, and do the same thing again.

Lizards
Old 07-31-07, 11:27 AM   #15
wargoth
BassFishin.Com Active Member

that makes alot of sense Lizards. I have one baitcaster I seem to have alot of trouble with, maybe I might give this a try. Either that or some thicker braid.
Old 07-31-07, 05:50 PM   #16
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Zooker that sounds like a good idea- a casting range. Too bad my yard is not suited for that. Nomad see if you can get on a football field somewhere and practice there. Every cast will tell you how you are doing.

Bob
nor is mine bob but i have a 5 foot wide "lane" to cast thru between the magniola tree and the flowering crab.. the "wire" i refure to is an actual power line running from the house to one of the out buildings..

zooker..
Old 08-01-07, 03:22 AM   #17
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad60 View Post
Thanks everyone...the reason I need more casting distance is because I'm fishing from shore. I currently work and live in South Korea and don't own a boat and the lake I like to fish is a reservoir that's used mainly for irrigation purposes and it has little or no cover or structure...the bottom is rocky, and the water clear. This time of year, the bass are out deeper...there's a deep channel that runs parallel to the shore but it's about 30 yards out and right now, and I'm thinking that's where they're at during the day. As for wind, I don't even take that reel out when it's windy...I've learned that lesson the hard way . And yeah, the reel was a little pricy but it could have been worse...I'd really love to get that Calais 4X8 DC...one of my friends has one and it's an amazing reel but if I spent that much on a reel, she-who-must-be-obeyed would have my hide.
I'll just keep on practicing and experimenting till I get it right. Again, thanks to all who answered!
I am as shorebound as you. You might consider getting a steelhead/salmon rod in the 8'6" or even 9'6 range if you need to make mega casts. Their added length combined with the calais' casting and heavier lures just could be the ticket.

I know exactly what you mean. In many of my lakes the deeper water is just out of range, even with my curado d.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.