Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-07, 03:57 PM   #1
steven
BassFishin.Com Member

Arrow what sould i buy to catch bass

i need help to buy rods and reels and lures for bass fishing.please help me!!!!!
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 05:01 PM   #2
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

what sould i buy to catch bass

You canīt buy experience, thatīs something you gain with time & practice.

What can you buy:

1.- A bunch of bass fishing videos, you can start by purchasing BIGMOUTH from Glenn Lau, know your prey, youīll be two steps closer to catching them. Then add some videos about fishing with soft plastics, fishing with crankbaits and fishing with spinnerbaits, knowing your tackle, how to present and work your baits properly will bring you a step closer to catching them.

2.- Thereīs no such thing as a "magic" bait, the magic is behind the rod handle, itīs always been that way and it will always be; all lures catch fish.

3.- You donīt need a big bunch of rods & reels to catch fish, with a couple of good quality rods, M and MH you can literally fish any kind of lure.

4.- You donīt need a big bunch of baits, if you want to have a big bunch of baits because you like to have them thatīs fine, a small well stocked tacklebox is all you need, Iīve got more tackle than you could imagine, 95% of it has never touched the water.

5.- Donīt go around purchasing baits like mad, the BaitMonkey is a powerful critter, first learn how to fish a few baits properly.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 06:01 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Go out and get a 29.95 rod/reel combo and a pack of culprit worms and 2/0 hooks, and practice the fine art of worm fishing. After all, bass almost always will hit a worm and its good practice for you.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 06:23 PM   #4
Rebbasser

Steven, take a look here:

http://bassresource.com/beginner/beginner.html

There is a lot of good info to be found there. It will answer a lot of your questions and generate a lot more.

JB gives good advice. I'd get a $30-40 rod/reel spinning combo-you can get a decent one most places that sell tackle including WalMart. I'll differ from JB in that I would get some Gamakatsu Extra Wide Gap 3/0 hooks and a soft stickbait like a Senko, Tiki Stick, Kinami flash or Yum Dinger in watermelon, watermelon red and/or green pumpkin. The worm rig thread at the top of this forum will show you how to rig them. I fish them weightless rigged either weedess or wacky. Cast them out, let them settle, and work them with gentle twitches of the rod tip. They will catch fish pretty much anyplace that has bass.
Old 10-08-07, 06:37 PM   #5
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I wish I had started with soft baits like Senkos, Flukes, etc. It would have been a lot cheaper than all the lures I bought that have limited use because of the type of water I fish. Soft plastic baits are easily the most versatile because you can rig them many different ways and retrieve them in an infinite number of ways as well. They will be productive in many different situations and will really teach you how to use the rod to impart the right action to get bites.

Avoid the baitmonkey as long as you can because once you really get hooked on bass fishing, it will get expensive in a hurry!

One more tip. Pay close attention on every retrieve because if you can duplicate the retrieve that got you a bite, you can usually get more bites the same way.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 07:42 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Go out and get a 29.95 rod/reel combo and a pack of culprit worms and 2/0 hooks, and practice the fine art of worm fishing. After all, bass almost always will hit a worm and its good practice for you.
A 29.95 combo may not be bad if you already know what your doing. If you don't you may be frusterated with a cheaper rod/reel. When I first learned how to work a baitcaster, I was looking at a 49.99 combo. It was a cheap Cabela's rod with a low end shakespeare reel. The guy at cabela's talked me out of and talked me into a Daiwa Procaster SE paired with a Cabela's Fish Eagle II rod. They were awesome for my first baitcaster, and very easy to learn. Although when I used my buddy's $400 Shimano, It made mine seem like a cheap reel, but oh well. I'll have a $400 Shimano someday if I get rich...

Anyways, Like I said, don't buy a cheap rod/reel if you don't know what your doing. Spend a little bit more so It's a little easier for you to learn and you don't get frusterated and quit.

bb144
Old 10-08-07, 07:51 PM   #7
fluke
BassFishin.Com Member

i started with a decent spinning rod and reel combo,some 2/0 hooks,flukes,and worms.also pick up some weights nothing heavy till you get a feel for it.
Old 10-08-07, 10:34 PM   #8
Rebbasser

Good point, BB144. You do get what you pay for.
Old 10-09-07, 06:01 AM   #9
cdubya
BassFishin.Com Member

best fishing teacher I've seen is Bill Dance. His show comes on Versus (VS) all through the week at different times by far the best show I've watched for info on fishing. There's not been one tip from him that hasn't worked for me yet. If you fish ponds try a Booyah Moontalker Spinner Bait in black. Slow your presentation, don't cheap out on your rod and reel, even if your just starting out i'd recommend a baitcaster reel/rod setup they can nearly handle just about every fish and the sooner you learn to use them the better. Brands; Pflueger(my personal prefrence), Daiwa, Quantam, BPS Branded(usually the same as the Daiwa sets)Abu Garcia, or Okuma.. Get a rod between 6'6"-7' in length with light to med action to start out. Rattle Traps are good baits for this time of year try to match them to the bait fish blue or black top(backs) with a reflective coating or holo finish work very well. hope those tips help
cdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 07:06 AM   #10
scrap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default bass fishing

everything written so far is absolutely correct in my opinion. like the man said, experience. just get out there as often as u can and experiment with all the lures. and read everything you can about bass. then apply it.
i started with rapalas, then daredevil spoons, jitterbugs, and on and on.
experience is one of the best teachers about everything. u dont need a ton of lures to catch fish. lastly, if all else fails, buy some fishing worms
just to get your confidence back if u are not catching bass with the lures you have........................now that sentence will get me ostrasized and
demoted, but fishing is all about catching fish. good luck.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 08:35 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Scrap, I have to disagree with you on your opinion that fishing is all about catching fish. If that were true, It'd be called catching, and it's not, now is it? the most important thing about fishing is to HAVE FUN. Whether you're catching anything or not. I know getting Skunked isn't fun by any means, but you've just learned something: What the fish don't like that day. Which means you can try something different the next time you go out.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.