Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-07, 07:05 PM   #1
newbasser78
BassFishin.Com Member

Default electronics

i have been trying to use my fishfinders to find structure, but i am not sure exatly what the difference will look like on the screen. i have a humminbird 565. how can you tell the difference in weeds, rocks and spot submerged trees on this. how will the thermocline show up also? i have never had much luck trying to fish deeper water and i really dont want to just fish banks and boat docks any more any tips would also be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
newbasser78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 07:34 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Read your manual, and if you don't have one, go to Hummingbird and print it off. It's the best way to learn you equipment.

Lizards
Old 08-29-07, 10:28 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

78, I have two of those-one on the trollling motor and one on the console. A hard bottom will be a solid black line, a mud bottom will be a thick gray line. Weeds look like the grass in your yard. Trees often look like a stump sticking up-you really don't get the branches. Next time you are in familiar water go over known objects-you can see a tree, big rock, etc. and see how it shows up on the depthfinder.

That is one area I could stand a LOT of improvement.
Old 09-23-07, 03:22 AM   #4
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey Reb, at least you have electronics on the boat. My wife had a showdown with the baitmonkey and she laid a pretty good asswhuppin on him...needless to say I can't buy my expensive electronics until I've bought Christmas presents for all my kids (as many of you know, we have five kids, so presents cost me a fortune!). Hey maybe my kids can band together and buy me one. Any recommendations on what brand/model/etc from all you gurus would be appreciated.

If you see the baitmonkey, tell him he can come home soon.....
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-07, 12:28 PM   #5
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Haha just buy your kids some fishing electronics and bring them along every trip...
Old 09-24-07, 12:51 PM   #6
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I own one of the same Fishfinder's (Hummingbird 565) If you change the sensitivity it will pick up a lot more variations on the bottom, I also use the split screen (zoom) view to locate changes in the bottom. Fishfinders have come a long way since the beginning and for a dual beam this is a great buy for around $200..however, even small changes can be huge for bass...also remember that the finder only displays a small area under your boat and if you find a variation you should explore all angles to get a feel for the structures size....the key however is to find the baitfish..if you can find these there's usually bass close by...

This weekend I used my fishfinder relentlessly to locate variations in deeper water and find the baitfish!!..The lakes here in the north are starting to turn ( or flip..when the bottom becomes the top)..this makes the surface look very murky & dirty..the bass retreat to deeper (cleaner) water..I caught my limit and weighed out 17lbs...fished between 12-15ft all day and kept a keen eye on the finder...do the same and you'll find the big 'uns!
Old 09-24-07, 11:16 PM   #7
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have 3 kids, buy one big gift for all of them, then 1 small one for each of them. This satisfies the urge, then buy a fish finder and label it from SANTA. Oh yeah....act real surprised and thank your old lady a bunch before she can say anything. She won't beat you on x mas, doesn't look good in front of the family.
Old 10-16-07, 11:50 PM   #8
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
I have 3 kids, buy one big gift for all of them, then 1 small one for each of them. This satisfies the urge, then buy a fish finder and label it from SANTA. Oh yeah....act real surprised and thank your old lady a bunch before she can say anything. She won't beat you on x mas, doesn't look good in front of the family.
Haha fl.......I totally missed your reply but that is SOOOOOOOO funny. It's almost like you've met my wife....
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.