Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-11, 12:18 PM   #1
G-Man
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default ?? on Skeet Reese Rod/Reel set up

Yesterday I went to BPS for new rods and reels.
I bought one Carbonlite 7 foot rod and a Abu Garcia Revo STX-BC reel.
I also bought a Skeet Reese Rod 7 foot Med for Crank Baits with a Skeet reese Victory BC reel.
Has anyone had any experience with the Skeet Reese set up?? The rod on this one just seems so much thicker.
I appreciate your feedback.
Thanks
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 02:51 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If it's one of the crankbait rods, it's glass. That's why it's thicker. I just hope you looked the rod up and down before you bought, because I've seen quite a few craftsmanship issues with them.

BB
Old 03-20-11, 03:18 PM   #3
G-Man

CRAFTSMAN ISSUES??
What am I looking for ??
Do you think it is a good rod???
Old 03-20-11, 03:51 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've actually never used the rod, so I can't comment on whether or not it's good.

I've noticed a lot of crooked guides, sloppy guide wraps, excess epoxy, things like that. None of them should affect the performance of the rod, it's more an aesthetic thing. I've seen this a lot on the Teserra rods, but it is also present on many "budget sticks" When they're pushing the level of performance in $100 rods up, there have to be sacrifices made. I find that these sacrifices usually come in craftsmanship. I'd look the rod over good and check for the things I mentioned. If anything is really bad, take it back and exchange it for a new one, but check that one out first.

Don't get too freaked out because like I said, it's not uncommon on the new $100 "budget rods" and shouldn't affect the performance of the rod. Having built a couple of my own rods, I tend to be overly picky about this stuff. There are plenty of people that don't care as long as the rod works, a few guides slightly crooked, or some gaps in the thread wrap may not bother you either.

BB
Old 03-20-11, 06:27 PM   #5
G-Man

I will need to get used to the thickness of the rod. Its significantly thicker than an other rod I have. Im not sure I want to keep it or not.
Old 03-21-11, 12:53 AM   #6
BBD

I have an S-GLASS Reese rod. I agree with bigbassin as I had to look at a couple different sticks until I found the one that had the best craftsmanship.

Other than that, it's been a good rod and does what it's suppose to do for the last 4 months I've owned it.
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 01:11 AM   #7
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
I will need to get used to the thickness of the rod. Its significantly thicker than an other rod I have. Im not sure I want to keep it or not.
I've never used any of the Skeet rods but that rod should make a good shallow-medium depth crankbait rod. Fiberglass behaves a little differently than graphite. Its response time is much slower and it loads up differently. It's what I prefer in a cranking rod. You might try it a few times before you decide ro return it.
Old 03-21-11, 11:33 AM   #8
BigBurlyBass

I have recently bought a Quantum energy pt crankin stick, and I was a bit surprised at how thick it was also, but lookin at it for a little bit it grew on me . Anyways about the skeet rods I just bought one a couple weeks ago ( I am having alot of trouble getting the reel with trying to get the sale price after a week of calling the store and stuff, then decided to buy it off ebay which was dissapointing because now I have to return it, it was all scratched up and dusty and crumby) but anyways I have looked over the rod that I bought, the "spinner bait/worm rod" and there was nothing that I could see wrong with it, like what BB144 said but there were a couple scuffs on the rod (probably just because it was in the store from people touching it or whatever) but I like the rod alot even though I have not fished it yet (but will this saturday!) I like it alot it is very light and a balanced and comfortable to me.
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 11:49 PM   #9
Lvitch

I have the skeet crankin rod. It's a great mid / deep crankin rod imo. Good for lip less too. As a glass rod its Definatly not stiff lol, but fishing with Trebles it let's you get decent controll and not tear the hooks out. The rod is really parabolic in the way it loads up and every fish feels like a giant on it, but I haven't lost a fish with it. Biggest issue for me is learning how to cast it best. It's a totally different feel from my other rods and with the springy nature of the rod it tends to rev up the spool pretty quickly. Over all it has its place and I have been happy with it. No quality issues on mine either.
Old 03-28-11, 07:42 AM   #10
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I had a customer bring me 4 of the victory reels. Now I supose it's possible that these were from a bad batch, but I thought they were the crapiest built reels i have ever worked on. The handle knobs were all sloppy and caused it to feel rough. Check yours by spinning a knob while holding the handle still. It should be smooth and silent, if not, then it's still the same issue. I also found that the frames are die cast. Thats might be ok for low end reels, but they at least need to clean them up good. One reel was making noise and it was from a casting burr rubbing on the spool. Each of the 4 reels had some similar rough issues on the insides of the frame. I ground and sanded all that stuff down. I did everything I could to the reels and got them to cast better by flushing the bearings, but they still were not half as nice as a pro qualifier and no where close to a citica. I told the guy to take them back but he didn't keep the reciept.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 09:36 PM   #11
CiK

I think all the "all glass" rods will be thicker. The one I built for myself is broomstick-like. It has aesthetic issues too, but works.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.