Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-11, 03:48 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default A bad tourney in the making

I have a tourney on the 21st and the outlook is rather grim.
This was the lake report from last week.

From a local site:
"The 41 anglers checked at Hodges reported catching 6 bass, 37 bluegill, 49 crappie and 5 carp. The launching conditions are excellent. The surface temp is 71 degrees. Hodges is open for fishing and boating on a Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday schedule. Boat rentals are available."

The week before wasn't much better with a report of 66 anglers and 11 bass caught.

Historically this has been a great bass lake that can produce great numbers and size. This year it has stumped some of the best sticks in Southern Cali. The water is at a 5 year high, but other than that there is no change. Fish are busting on shad, but just not getting caught.
I have read many reports of guys that know how to catch fish spending a day on the water without so much as a bite.
There was a 20 boat tourney there last month that brought in 8 total fish.

I am seriously considering just picking a spot that should hold fish, dropping anchor and waiting/hoping for one to come to my spot.
On a bright note, I think I can win it all with 1 fish!
Old 05-10-11, 04:41 PM   #2
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sounds like a tough gig cass... if you have fished this lake before, then you may be better off picking one or two spots that you can sit on all day and work the area over very thorough. And like you said, a 1 or 2 fish bag may win the tournament. Just go in with a lot of confidence and fish your confidence baits! Keep your chin up, and make it happen!

Ryan
Old 05-10-11, 05:26 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

tom, in the end it is always 1 fish that wins it anyway. 1 makes the difference everytime my friend.

sounds like they may be either suspending or in the flood waters. i owuld go skinny first. then look for the suspending fish, THEN go chasing the shad. get yourself a rooster tail for the shad chasing. works here. 1/4 to 3/8 oz.
Old 05-13-11, 08:54 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

The only thing you need to throw is chartreuse dynomite...............works everytime!
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 10:26 PM   #5
Bassboss

Is live bait an option?

Ya might just try making something look, sound, and smell as natural as you can get it. A small shad swimbait might work that matches the size of the shad they're feeding. Fish in natural as you can, and hope one fools for it. 1 fish could do it, especially a kicker.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.