Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-11, 04:55 PM   #1
MikeKing
BassFishin.Com Member

Default A little help needed...

Hey Guys,

I'm new here and have been reading for a while, but can't seem to find the answers to my question. I'm just getting into bass fishing pretty seriously now and I need to know some good rod and reel setups for the different kind of fishing I like to do. Here is South Carolina, I fish a good bit with a Carolina Rig, Buzz Baits, Crank Baits, and I'm trying to learn to pitch and flip. I'll use the occasional Spinner bait, but not very often. What rods (Action and such) and reels (Ratios and Models) would you suggest for me. I want to have 4 rods so I can easily go from one to another. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Mike
MikeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 04:55 PM   #2
MikeKing
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh I forgot to add, I do a good bit of top water fishing (poppers and plugs) too!
Old 08-01-11, 05:17 PM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome Mike, there are allot of great rod and reels out there to do everything you are talking about. It sure helps if you give us a budget, otherwise we may be way off base on what we would recommend.

The easy answer to your question is get yourself some Medium Heavy / Fast action rods and some 6.4:1 reels, they will cover most of what a guy needs.
Old 08-01-11, 05:19 PM   #4
MikeKing
BassFishin.Com Member

Should have thought of that! I'm looking to spend around 225-250 on two good rods and reels. All we have around here is an Academy Sports and a Dick's Sporting Goods and people steal all the brake caps off so none of the good ones are good anymore.
Old 08-01-11, 07:21 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't do carolina rigs so someone else can help you there. For buzz baits and spinnerbait a 6 1/2 - 7' mh/f rod with a 6.4:1 ratio reel will work well. For crankbaits, it depends a bit on what size and depth of crankbait your using but if I had to go with one crankbait outfit, it would be a 7'0" M/MOD action rod and a reel with a ratio of 5.4:1 For pitchin I would go with a 6'10"-7' H/XF rod with a reel of 7:1 ratio. I met and had a conversation with KVD a couple years ago and he recommended this length and action rod for me based on my shorter stature. He did say to look for a rod with a bit of flex in the tip to make it easier to pitch lures. Flippin would be the same except I would use a 7'6" rod. I prefer a slightly shorter rod for pitchin. Works better for me. I have a 6'10" Shimano Crucial rod for my pitchin.

Last edited by keithdog; 08-01-11 at 07:30 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 07:37 PM   #6
MikeKing
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the input. Not sure what happened to my last response but I am on a $250 budget for two new rods and reels. I already have a 7' Berkley lightning rod with my diawa reel (I think these are right ratios...boat is at my dads under the awning he bought for mine and his) that is 6.3-1 and a pfleuger that I use for buzzbaits ($80 special at Academy) but it feels like I reel as hard as possible to get any action on them. Dont know where to begin to guess the ratio on that one. I want to have 4 rods and reels ready to go at any point. Maybe 5 or 6 if I can find a few good reels for cheap as I have two 6'6" rods at home too. Problem is I don't know what to buy!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.