Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-07, 10:56 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default The most overlooked aspect of bass fishing

Guys, on this and other forums I see a lot of questions about lost fish. Looking at the descriptions what I consider the most overlooked aspect appears. That aspect?

Hooks not sharp enough!

Contrary to popular belief, not all hooks are sharp right out of the package-even on very successful and popular baits like a Rat-L-Trap. Ever wonder why so many bass fishermen change the hooks on a Trap? The reason is simple-the stock hooks are about as sharp as a Q-tip.

Do yourself a favor: Invest in a hook sharpener and use it! If a hook will not dig into your thumbnail with just a little pressure it won't dig into a bony fish's mouth either. For around $5 you can greatly improve your catches and not lose as many by simply checking and sharpening your hooks.

It can be the difference between talking about the one that got away and holding up a good fish for the camera.
Old 08-27-07, 03:00 AM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

How true, Reb! I keep a little honing stone with a hook groove in my bag 24/7.

Another overlooked item is failing to check for abrasions and nicks on the line periodically. Then we wonder why the line snapped. Good times to check it are after:

1) Every freed snag or other item like a shrub or tree, etc.
2) Every 3-5 casts when fishing heavy cover, or with techniques in which something is loosely banging on the knot connecting the line to the hook.
3) Tangles and Nests.
Old 08-27-07, 01:08 PM   #3
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Guys, on this and other forums I see a lot of questions about lost fish. Looking at the descriptions what I consider the most overlooked aspect appears. That aspect?

Hooks not sharp enough!
Words of wisdom.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 04:25 PM   #4
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Which sharpener do you use Reb?
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 05:59 PM   #5
Rebbasser

Joolz, I use one of these:

The sharpener fits in the cap and there is a pocket clip so it rides like a pen. They run around $5 or so.
Old 08-27-07, 08:59 PM   #6
brushhog

Three most important things I've learned here in my 6 months or so...
1. Use sharp hooks
2. tie good knots
3. Always keep learning and trying new stuff
Old 08-27-07, 09:24 PM   #7
zooker

really don't mater which sharpener you use, just use it...

zooker
Old 08-29-07, 10:50 PM   #8
skeeter944

Yeah zooker. Also, I dont try to sharpen chemically sharpened hooks, they just get duller. But Gammys sharpen up very good. Normally, If a hook gets dull, I just throw it away and get a fresh hook, especially in a tournament.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-07, 04:27 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter944 View Post
Yeah zooker. Also, I dont try to sharpen chemically sharpened hooks, they just get duller. But Gammys sharpen up very good. Normally, If a hook gets dull, I just throw it away and get a fresh hook, especially in a tournament.
Gammys do sharpen nicely, but I've found that most gammys are nice and sharp out of the package, unlike some other very popular brands, like Mustad.(don't get me wrong, they're still sharp)

I have an old hook sharpener, but I don't use it often, only for important stuff, like fishing! lol. I don't use it in my pond, just like I use snap swivels in my pond, cause I don't care about catching the dinks there, but when I go to a good reservior or lake, I retie every knot and sharpen every hook.

BB144
Old 09-06-07, 06:55 PM   #10
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

One day you'll hook into a hawg in that pond, then SNAP! The line or snap swivel will give. I always have my hooks sharp and I always make sure my line and knots are fine in any fishing situation anywhere, no matter whether I think there isnt in big fish in the water I'm fishing... those are the places where you'll catch them.
Old 09-06-07, 08:41 PM   #11
JB

Those old school frogs that we used like the scum frog or tournament frog had
terrible hooks, I 'd used to sharpen them out of the box and they rust and get dull by the next trip out. Even when ya did get a point it looked like a ol
pigmie spear rofl
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-07, 08:53 PM   #12
Fishnfool4evr
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher02 View Post
One day you'll hook into a hawg in that pond, then SNAP! The line or snap swivel will give. I always have my hooks sharp and I always make sure my line and knots are fine in any fishing situation anywhere, no matter whether I think there isnt in big fish in the water I'm fishing... those are the places where you'll catch them.

Without a doubt Bassfisher, My PB a 10-4 came
from a farm pond that i could cast clear across. I was 15 and only throwing a night-crawler about 3' under a bobber. Heck when i casted it out, the bobber didn't even stop when it hit the water. I thought i had hooked a turtle or something, till it started fighting.

and yes always make sure yur hoos are sharp, no nicks in yur line & i retie after 3 normal fish or 1 nice one 7 it dont hurt to retie after 40 or so casts because this even stress's the knot. jmo anyway, and remember
Old 09-09-07, 07:33 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Joolz, I use one of these:

The sharpener fits in the cap and there is a pocket clip so it rides like a pen. They run around $5 or so.

Reb
The one I have I have broke. Cant seem to find it in the bass pro book or for that matter anywhere I am looking. Got a link on that sharpener. That is the BEST one I have ever used.
Old 09-09-07, 07:57 AM   #14
JB

Laser,
heres the only close variation bps is sellin now click
Old 09-09-07, 08:47 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

Thanks buddy. Those little sharpners work fantastic especially on spinnerbaits which is what I mainly use them for anyways. Worm hooks and trebles usually get replaced instead of shrpening.
Old 09-09-07, 10:26 AM   #16
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Those old school frogs that we used like the scum frog or tournament frog had
terrible hooks, I 'd used to sharpen them out of the box and they rust and get dull by the next trip out. Even when ya did get a point it looked like a ol
pigmie spear rofl
i have used the same 4/0 gammy hook in my frogs for the last 2 years. i have sharpened it several times this year alone..

quick tip on rust preventive in 2 words "after shave" or "rubbing alchol" after a day fishing dipping your hooks into either will prevent rusty hooks..ok so now you know my tackle bag draws honeys from miles away.. but my hooks are not rusty..

zooker
Old 09-09-07, 10:59 AM   #17
Rebbasser

Here you go, Laser:

http://www.flamesnknives.net/items/i...utm_medium=cpc

If need be I have a place here that has them. Let me know and I'll pick you up one.
Old 09-10-07, 05:32 AM   #18
1FASTLASER

Quote:

Hooks not sharp enough!

Contrary to popular belief, not all hooks are sharp right out of the package-even on very successful and popular baits like a Rat-L-Trap. Ever wonder why so many bass fishermen change the hooks on a Trap? The reason is simple-the stock hooks are about as sharp as a Q-tip.

Do yourself a favor: Invest in a hook sharpener and use it! If a hook will not dig into your thumbnail with just a little pressure it won't dig into a bony fish's mouth either. For around $5 you can greatly improve your catches and not lose as many by simply checking and sharpening your hooks.

It can be the difference between talking about the one that got away and holding up a good fish for the camera.
On this same note reb have you ever wondered how in the world a bass can through a bait that has trebles on it that are sharp enough if ya look at it you get stuck. I have at times actually not been able to see the crankbait..........the bass has the whole thing in his mouth........and yet they can still throw the bait. Aint mother nature wonderful.
Old 10-06-07, 05:16 PM   #19
bassnman30

Have ya'll seen the movie by Glenn Law. It shows bass taking in a crankbait and spitting it out without the angler knowing anything even happened.
Old 10-06-07, 05:42 PM   #20
JB

what a coincidence bassman,
I used to date a girl that did things similar to that rofl
Old 10-06-07, 06:10 PM   #21
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
On this same note reb have you ever wondered how in the world a bass can through a bait that has trebles on it that are sharp enough if ya look at it you get stuck. I have at times actually not been able to see the crankbait..........the bass has the whole thing in his mouth........and yet they can still throw the bait. Aint mother nature wonderful.

That's why it's called fishing and not catching. Seriously, I never cease being amazed at what fish can do. Flyrod likes to use a Gammy weedless EWG finessse hook for wacky rigging, and got me using one as well(that's about 20x actual size):

You tell me: How does a bass tie that nylon weedguard in an overhand knot? It has happened to both of us, and we can't figure it out.
Old 10-06-07, 08:39 PM   #22
zooker

nothing suprises me with what a bass can do to a bait.. i had one do he same thing to a 1/4 jig -the one with 2 metal wires-

zooker
Old 10-07-07, 05:39 AM   #23
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Here you go, Laser:

http://www.flamesnknives.net/items/i...utm_medium=cpc

If need be I have a place here that has them. Let me know and I'll pick you up one.
Hey Reb PM me with your address and cost.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.