Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-07, 09:31 PM   #1
roadrunner
BassFishin.Com Member

Default making your own spinnerbaits

i was fishing one night around a peir when another angler walked up and began catching twice as many fish as i was. he said that he was about to fish that particular lake in a tournament soon. i finally asked him what he was using and he said a home made spinnerbait. he had made it himself out of materials that gave it more vibration and flash, but he would not reveal the secrets behind this bait. has any of yall ever made your own spinner bait and if so where might i get the proper tools and diagrams to make these lures?
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-07, 09:41 PM   #2
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Well if you saw it you could pretty much know what to use... willow/colorado blades.. color skirt.. etc. Reb should be able to help you out, he makes his own spinnerbaits.

tb
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-07, 11:04 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Reb got me started making my own spinnerbaits, so he is better qualified than I in answering your questions. I will say this though. The great advantage of making your own is that you can custom make the spinnerbait exactly how you want. After making a few and trying them out, you WILL start to realize how you can alter your spinnerbaits to meet certain needs you may have. You will then be able to aquire spinnerbaits that you cannot find on the market. Such as a 3/4 oz tandom spinnerbait using small colorado blades to fish deeper water. Try finding that on the market. You won't be able to, however, it has been a killer bait for me this year. You can buy skirts with flash quality built into them. That may be what the guy you were talking to was talking about. He may have been using bright 24K gold blades which also give great flash even in low light conditions. Try going to this site and check out the components they offer. They have a very good selection. www.Staminainc.com How about it Reb, I know you can teach us all a thing or two.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-07, 05:29 PM   #4
leroy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to leroy

It all depends on how far you want to get into it. You can actually pour the lead heads onto the wire and make your own skirts and attach swiles blades etc. Or you can just buy pre-made ones that have everything but the skirts and the blades and swivels. To see if your going to enjoy it I would try the latter option first.
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-07, 07:54 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

it aint cheaper for a fact.. the only thing that it DOES do is it lets you build them YOUR way.. with youre own combo of blades, color,and ect..

zooker
Old 10-26-07, 11:32 PM   #6
ILbassman10
BassFishin.Com Member

Post start off little

I'd buy some of them kits u get at walmart or a BETTER store, make some of them and see where u want to go with the technique?
ILbassman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-07, 07:54 PM   #7
airskank
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to airskank

Why not just buy a few different spinnerbaits and mix and match parts?
airskank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-07, 09:03 PM   #8
Riverrat
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up Spinnerbait help

I have made hundreds of custom spinnerbaits. The sky is the limit with ideas. Smaller blades hevier weights for burning the bait. Bigger blades smaller heads for more lift, slow rolling your bait. I knew nothing about building them or why certain blades work for flash and others for more vibration when I started. I just threw what I saw every body else throwing. Here are a few things to get ya started. You can buy the premolded heads from Barlows, Stamina, and several others. You can buy molds and the parts and make everthing your self. I would suggest buying your skirts to start, making your own skirts is fairly easy but the posibilites are endless for colors. Unless you are a pro going all over I think you can get away with three main colors of skirts. White, Black, Chart/white. Blades next. Willow baldes produce more flash than vibration. Colorado baldes produce mor vib then flash. Ind are about in the middle. Yes there are other blades but these are the most popular. I run silver blades on white skirts when clear water and sunny. Overcast or dark water Black bait with gold blades. If it's sunny and stained water like you see on Southern Champlain, I will run White skirt and Gold baldes. Gold blades produce more flash in low light conditions and silver more flash when bright. I know people will argue with me but, you don't need huge color selections of skirts. Blades on the other hand I carry alot of sizes of the listed styles and basic colors. Do I think colored blades make a difference? Yes. Thats a whole different animal. Pick a few make them and fish them. The most important thing you can do is FISH THEM. Learn for your self on the water why the baits do what they do. I have caught bass on spinnerbaits in water just above freezing all the way to hottest days of summer. Hope this helps. Just fish and learn. Look at Tackleunderground.com Tons of info.
Rip their lips off!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.