Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-10, 02:20 PM   #1
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Our 8th wedding anniversary

Our 8th wedding anniversary was this past Monday 8/16/10. So the wife wants me to take her fishing. (She had to really twist my arm , LOL) So we head out Sunday evening to Taylorsville Lake to fish that night, sleep, then get up on Monday and start fishing again. Well we were having a BLAST, catching bass. (We had 3 - me two, and her one). We noticed this storm cloud really building in front of us. We kept fishing and watching the clouds building. Well it start lightning way in front of us. (We could see it but not hear thunder yet). So we kept on fishing. Well it got closer, and we started hearing the thunder. So we started talking about heading away from the storm. Well we could hear the storm really good now, so we fired the motor up and headed away FAST! As we are moving I noticed stars are out over our heads, and we also pass this other boat still fishing. So I brought the boat to a stop and we start talking again, about whether we should head in or try our luck and stay. I guess the other boat was talking also, because they fired their motor and started heading in. Well about that time lightning hits right on top of the mountain in front of us, pretty close. Needless to say I fire up the motor again, and blast out of there. We catch the other boat (which had disappeared, by the time I started our boat). We head for the marina to hide under shelter to wait the storm out; the other boat heads in to the dock. We find an empty slot, and tie her down tight. Well it isn’t 3 minutes, and all hell breaks loose. Rain is coming down in buckets, the wind is blowing the rain sideways, and lucky for us, we docked on the opposite side from the approaching storm, so we stayed (mostly) dry. We look up and see the other boater running to his truck in the downpour. We say a little prayer for him to got his boat out of the water safely, because now it is STORMING out there, like it’s nobody business, lightning everywhere, right on top of us!! Heck, even the birds are hiding under the cover with us, it’s that bad. Well the storm last about 30 minutes, and starts to ease up, but the lightning continues for another hour. So there we sit and watch this lightning show like we’ve never seen before. (Sure wish I had brought out the camera and videoed it, because there is no way I could ever describe how intense this storm was.) Then we start talking about whether we should stay under the cover of the marina or head out and sleep at our fishing spot for the next morning. Needless to say the wife talked me into staying under the shelter of the marina. Well about 2 a.m. it starts to rain again. The wife says you hear that, and I say yep. Once again it’s a good thing I listened to her!!

It seem to never fail, we always see something you only see once in a life time on our anniversary, and/or on my birthday, while out fishing or motorcycling.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 03:35 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Don't take the camera next time. You won't see anything so spectacular.
Old 08-19-10, 04:43 PM   #3
walkeraviator

I here ya... my wife and i actually went and camped at Baileys Point on Barren for our honeymoon... (we were living in Daytona Beach at the time and wanted less sand/sun/ and more quiet for a honeymoon)... i was running from an approaching thunderstomr when the chop got so bad i had the boat completely out of teh water lower unit and all...

craziness...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 02:30 AM   #4
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

grats on 8! It is almost 9 for my wife and I... we may have to take a night out camping and fishing with no kids for our anniv (Oct 1)....
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 07:24 PM   #5
Abbeysdad

Happy Anniversary...so the wife really wanted to go fishing on your anniversary...so how are things in Stepford these days

Btw, bad weather on the water kinda scares me - I haven't really come close, although the wind has picked up an presented some good whitecaps that made for real slow going and more "rock 'n roll" than I prefer. I think if there was lightning I'd aim fer the nearest dock and hunker down...reminds me I should have a tarp in the back to use as a cover (for us) if caught like that (I have a rain suit...but an inexpensive tarp lashed down could keep us all dry while waiting out a storm).

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 08-23-10 at 11:21 AM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 02:48 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Congrats on the anniversary! My wife and I celebrated our 6th anniversary on August 7th and we went to the lake also. Didn't see anything too out of the ordinary but we did have a great time and put some nice fish in the boat.

I have been caught out in some big storms myself, it's never a fun experience. I am glad you guys were safe.
Old 08-23-10, 05:39 PM   #7
bamabassman

great story man. sometimes the woman is right. jsut don't repeat this to mine ok? lol!!

if lisa knew i said that she is right sometimes..................LORD help me. HAHAHAHA!!!!
Old 08-23-10, 07:11 PM   #8
jjjbluray
BassFishin.Com Member

A late congrats on 8 years. MY wife and I had our 8 in May! Looks like alot of us got married around the same time. lol Something musta been in the air.
jjjbluray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 09:41 PM   #9
bcklash

Me and my wife had 8th in Dec. 1982-so I don't remember a dang thing, except maybe changing Adams diaper SHEWWE.

The years do flyby in a quick hurry. Enjoy the good times and give big hugs in the bad times.
Old 08-23-10, 11:17 PM   #10
bamabassman

oh man, sorry i didn't tell ya congrats. CONGRATS. hahaha!! working on 21 yrs meself with my wonderful wife.
Old 08-28-10, 12:56 PM   #11
bassfisher

I REALLY DO HAVE A WONDERFUL WIFE. Right now she's at home putting on new rocker switches on the 93 Tracker V17 Magna we have. The running light switch went out on us a few months back while out fishing one night. So when she went to Tracker to buy the switch, she went ahead and bought, 3 of the 4 switches. (bilge, livewell, and the running light) They were old stock,and half price, so she saved 15bucks. They did not have the ACC. switch, but it's never been hook to anything anyway, so it never used.

BTW we have been together for 16 years, we dated 8 years, married 8. And thanks for the congrats, I hope we are together another 40. (Which would put us in our 90s)

Heck she even hunts too. Last year she bagged a cow elk, two does, and about 6 squirrels. She even does her own skinning and butchering. I just have to KEEP reminding myself not to TICK her off very much, or she might butcher me!! I am very blessed to have her as my wife and bestest friend.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-10, 06:19 PM   #12
basshunter21

Sounds like a caught a nice one bs! Congrats.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.