Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-08, 05:15 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Soft Jerkbaits

Well, I decided to focus on learning two new things this summer: Carolina Rig and Drop Shot. Then I changed my mind. Instead of Dropshotting, I'd like to learn using Soft Plastic Jerkbaits.

So, naturally, I've got a couple questions.

1. Rod: Length, Power, Action, Sensitivity
2. Reel: Speed, line cap
3. Line: Kind of line, strength
4. baits and hooks
5. How to fish them.

Thanks again,

BB
Old 02-22-08, 05:56 PM   #2
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

This is probably one of my most confident ways to fish...soft jerkbaits!!..it's like a limp dick...you can't beat it!! haha Anyways back to the subject at hand..I use a 6'6 fast action Berkley rod, Daiwa Viento baitcaster..power pro braid with a flouro leader..try to go as small as possible with your swivel on your leader...I love the superflukes/fluke jrs. they seem to really have good action..3/0--4/0 hooks dependent on size of fluke...the regular superflukes are weighted perfectly and sink very slowly, makes it easy if you want skip one across the surface..or change to a heavier swivel and bounce it off the bottom..I've caught my biggest fish with the superfluke bubblegum..8.5 lbs! And that's friggin' huge here in Maine!
Old 02-22-08, 06:07 PM   #3
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Uh-oh! Don't get BB started on a Viento!

-Lunk-
Old 02-24-08, 05:44 PM   #4
BigBassin144

I was looking at a c ouple reel for Jerkbaits. I'd love another Viento, but they are a bit pricey for me. Although I could get a Daiwa Megaforce...

BB
Old 02-24-08, 10:27 PM   #5
bcklash

I have a megaforce and love it great for jerk baits.
Old 02-24-08, 11:19 PM   #6
lunker-lander

Just a thought....

Don't you think you should focus on more "useful" areas of fishing that you would use more, like the Drop-Shot, Shakey Head, Deep Cranks, etc. But I guess we all have our priorities, (Mom still persists that fishing shall come before life...)

-Lunk-
Old 02-25-08, 04:28 PM   #7
BigBassin144

To each his own.

Anyways, I think I have decided on a rod and reel. BPS Johnny Morris Signature combo. The rod is 6' MH, and the reel is the only left handed model. Will these work good for soft jerkbaits?

Thanks,
BB
Old 02-25-08, 04:39 PM   #8
lunker-lander

I love the look of that Morris reel! I wish they made Daiwa's and Shimanos with that look.

Hope your new combo workd for ya!

-Lunk-
Old 02-26-08, 12:53 AM   #9
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
Just a thought....

Don't you think you should focus on more "useful" areas of fishing that you would use more, like the Drop-Shot, Shakey Head, Deep Cranks, etc. But I guess we all have our priorities, (Mom still persists that fishing shall come before life...)

-Lunk-
Soft plastic jerkbaits are VERY useful, and work great year round
Old 02-26-08, 12:04 PM   #10
BigBassin144

So anyone else fish soft jerkbaits that could give me some advice, especially on proper rod/reel selection. I either want to get a better combo for this or buy the one I mentioned above. It will be on sale for 224.99 from 349.98! That will save me enough money to buy my crankbait rod.

BB
Old 03-04-08, 10:04 PM   #11
BigBassin144

One more quick question about the rod. It'll be 6' MH like I said before and have 10lb fluoroclear on it. the thing is, jerkbaits are definatley more of a cold water bait. I don't want to buy a 225 dollar combo just o put it away for the rest of the summer. So I was thinking maybe I could throw spinnerbaits on it during the summer? Is 6' too short, and is MH too heavy for spinnerbaits?

Thanks again,
BB
Old 03-04-08, 10:46 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

softplastic jerkbaits aren't just for cold water....in fact i catch a ton of fish on them in the summer. they are great around boat docks and any kind of cover like stumps or rocks/rockpiles. a 6' rod would work but i like one that is longer for one reason. with a weightless jerkbait you tend to get slack in your line and a longer rod will take up a lot more slack when you set the hook.
Old 03-05-08, 10:21 AM   #13
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
One more quick question about the rod. It'll be 6' MH like I said before and have 10lb fluoroclear on it. the thing is, jerkbaits are definatley more of a cold water bait. I don't want to buy a 225 dollar combo just o put it away for the rest of the summer. So I was thinking maybe I could throw spinnerbaits on it during the summer? Is 6' too short, and is MH too heavy for spinnerbaits?

Thanks again,
BB
About all I use a 6' rod on anymore is topwater baits, especially spook type baits.
I think you will be much happier with a 6'6" medium action rod to get that weightless bait out there with. That rod can be used for a multitude of things as well (spinnerbait, lightweight T-rigging, Shakey heads, you can pretty much name your method by just matching the weight and line size to the rod).

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.