Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-09, 12:38 AM   #1
S4il
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Color question.

While walking thru the isle today in Gander mt. i saw a bin Full Of strike-King Diamond shad lipless crankbaits which isnt really a bait i use to much, Seems i loose em more than i do catch fish on them, I didnt give it a second thought until i saw the Price above the bin listed at 1.59 per bait, I Tried to pull myself away from it, but that damn bait monkey was Pulling me back, its almost like he was standing on top of the sign that listed 1.59 and Pointing at it, like one of those Bright yellow and Orange Flashing Neon signs you see at your local Bar in the window.

So i picked up 3 colors, and they are:

1 Chartruse Green, with a Black spot around the Eye, and an orange belly.
~Dark muddy water

2 Solid White (not pearl)
~Stained water, either green/brown tone

3 Baby bass green on top, cream on the sides, with a painted black design like a lateral line.
~Clear water

I figured I've covered the 3 main choices of colors, Right?

was that a good choice of 3 colors?

Or should i go back for more, Like chrome+blue, or oranges and reds. like i said i never fish these baits much, so color selection is new to me for these baits.
Old 02-09-09, 04:29 AM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would have thrown in a chrome and a red color.More people have confidence in the chrome/blue back but the chrome/Black back isn't bad either. P N J

The chrome would be for the bright sunny days when your whites are not working as well.Red works year round and as well as any other color.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 04:51 AM   #3
CCbass

Default Keep the colors simple

For me I almost always fish rattle trap type baits in darker colors regaurdless of the water color. Don't know why but it seems to work for me, I like clear baits with a silver or copper metal in the middle and graphics or other color on the outer plastic the most, but always darker. Used the same bait in paper bag brown water that I used in stained dark brown water with the same result, but I use these baits in very specific situations. Just remember prey as well as bass will blend with there surrounding, lighter water they become lighter, darker water they become darker, but never to much because they can't ( a bluegill or other bait fish can be very light green ect. if the water is light stained but they never become light brown ). They will always stand out just a little, fish with a color that stands out just a little, put it in front of bass and they will eat it, it looks more natural.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 09:24 AM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4il View Post
While walking thru the isle today in Gander mt. i saw a bin Full Of strike-King Diamond shad lipless crankbaits which isnt really a bait i use to much, Seems i loose em more than i do catch fish on them, I didnt give it a second thought until i saw the Price above the bin listed at 1.59 per bait, I Tried to pull myself away from it, but that damn bait monkey was Pulling me back, its almost like he was standing on top of the sign that listed 1.59 and Pointing at it, like one of those Bright yellow and Orange Flashing Neon signs you see at your local Bar in the window.

So i picked up 3 colors, and they are:

1 Chartruse Green, with a Black spot around the Eye, and an orange belly.
~Dark muddy water

2 Solid White (not pearl)
~Stained water, either green/brown tone

3 Baby bass green on top, cream on the sides, with a painted black design like a lateral line.
~Clear water

I figured I've covered the 3 main choices of colors, Right?

was that a good choice of 3 colors?

Or should i go back for more, Like chrome+blue, or oranges and reds. like i said i never fish these baits much, so color selection is new to me for these baits.
I went ti gander yesterday too. But this time I won the battle...... how ever I did not win the battle over getting a few packs of gammies!!
Old 02-09-09, 09:52 AM   #5
Bryan

Shad and red/crawfish pattern traps are my favorites by far, I don't use chrome at all. All of the colors work, it's just a confidence thing for me.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 10:06 AM   #6
woody

We win some and we lose some, but a bin full of Strikeking Diamond Shad at $1.59 each is difinitely a win win situation.
I would go back and get a handfull of the chrome and blues and red if there not all picked over yet. I would stock up at these prices.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 03:11 PM   #7
aikenyounggun

Yeah get the Chrome and blues or chrome and blacks... i think the shine really get their attention when you are ripping it through grass... most of the time your ripping it so hard they dont see every detail but just the shine... or least that is what i think.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 04:17 PM   #8
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

For a $1.59 I would have bought a good dozen or more. Might not use them till I run through my current inventory, but the price is just way to good to pass up. The best way to save money with a deal like that is to spend money. Damn, I'm starting to sound more and more like my wife.
Old 02-11-09, 08:20 PM   #9
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I went ti gander yesterday too. But this time I won the battle...... how ever I did not win the battle over getting a few packs of gammies!!
btw I would have gone with the chrome and red/chrome and blue!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.