Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-09, 05:27 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Weather or not to throw this bait

I didn't want to hijack 3D's thread on preferred weather conditions so I figured I would start a new one.

While we all have our preferred fishing weather, we are oftne forced to fish in less than ideal circumstances. So the question is, what do you prefer to throw in
Blue-bird, cloudy, windy, or rainy days?

I know that there are many other variables to consider, but when sizing up the weather, what do you go to first.

For me Blue-Bird days almost always mean pitching an IKA or similar plastic into the weeds.

Cloudy will mean cranks or spinner baits for me.

Windy (Not gale force) is a lizard day for me.

Rain is almost always cranks and hard bodied jerk baits.

What about the rest of you?
Old 10-28-09, 06:35 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Good idea for a post Cass. And as you said, many variables would determine what one would choose, but here goes.
1. Bluebird skies. I would be found in the thick stuff pitchin a t-rigged beaver. If that didnt work which is rare, I would maybe try deeper weed edges with a carolina rig or crankbait.
2. Cloudy and calm, frogs and surface baits hands down. Also a shallow jerk bait, small 1/4oz spinnerbait, and a small t'rigged worm.
Cloudy and wind, I'm throwing a 3/8oz spinnerbait and shallow cranks.
3. Windy sunny weather is 3/8 to 1/2oz spinnerbait country for me along with medium to deep diving cranks.
4. Rain is also a time I would be thowing spinnerbaits, although I've done very well with soft jerkbaits in the rain along with other soft plastics. If it's a fairly soft rain without much wind, I've done great with topwaters. A Rapalla shallow x rap is another bait I would be sure to try.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 08:07 PM   #3
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I generally don't worry about the weather conditions unless it's cold water in spring or fall. I'll usually start with lures that are appropriate for the available cover, which is almost always weeds where I fish.

I'm a topwater fanatic and throw them anytime, including bluebird skies. I've caught too many fish this way to not continue the practice. The fish break our "rules" too often for me to take them too seriously. Of course, I'll change if and when it becomes apparent that it's the wrong day for a particular technique.

It usually boils down to trial and error, since nobody, including the best pros, can accurately predict what will work on any given outing. There's nothing wrong with having a game plan based on conventional wisdom, but it's extremely important to deviate from it when it turns out to be the wrong plan.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 08:08 AM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Blue bird days = a senko/dinger around what ever kind of cover. I like to find a little bit deeper water around some hyrdilla. Jerkbaits (flukes and the like) if the wind picks up a little. Shaky head. My new craw rig should do good too!

Cloudy days
Scatted clouds = spinnerbaits too, maybe a jig too around any non - mushy cover I can find.
Heavy clouds = buzzbaits, or top water.

Rainy days
Light rain = poppers, tiny buzzbaits or floating frogs, bass around here really seem it get active then and go pretty shallow chasing minnows and other bait fish... The surface temps lower.
Heavy rain = go home, come back when it stops. I don't have Rain gear that I can carry around with me on the bank.

Windy w/ clouds = spinnerbaits, jerkbaits (flukes and the like) floating jointed rapalas
Windy w/o clouds = Senkos, jerkabits, plastics, jigs

But my one catch all anytime bait is a wacky rig!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.