Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-09, 07:59 PM   #1
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Skirt Selections

A lot of times the season and where I’m fishing on a body of water determines what kind of skirt I’m going to use and what color. For instance when I’m fishing in the backs of creeks in the summertime I like to use baits that imitate juvenile bluegill. A lot of times your shad have moved out to the main lake and you’ve got a lot of bluegill in the backs that the fish key in on. You might have a lot of shad out on the main lake but some of the biggest bass in the lake will be back in the shallows eating on Mr. Gills. I’m going to throw a spinnerbait that has some blue,purple and orange in it. Especially if I’m fishing fairly clear water because the bluegills get really colorful under those conditions. If the water is darker I’m going to throw more lighter colors like a lighter green and white with a little bit of orange in it because the bluegill are not going to be as dark. When the sun hits a bluegill its tail gives off a glow and I like to take my spinnerbaits and dip the very end of the skirt in some chart Spike-It. It does two things. For one it will give my spinnerbait that tail glow like a bluegill and it also adds a nice garlic scent that will make a following bass swallow my spinnerbait that otherwise wouldn’t commit. Also I like to throw thicker spinnerbaits if I’m trying to imitate the bluegill. That bigger profile imitates a bluegill to a T. If I’m fishing main lake grass in the summertime and there are a lot of shad around I’m going to be throwing lighter grays and white skirts on my spinnerbaits. I sometimes tie a thinner skirt too if I’m trying to mimic the shad because on a lot of the lakes around here they a keying in on the thread fin instead of the larger gizard shad. If you look around there isn’t a baitfish out there that doesn’t have a darker back side on it and a lighter belly so I try to tie my skirts in this manner usually adding gray to the top and a white or clearer underside to the bottom. Most of the time I’ll dip the tails in Spike-It as well.

For my jigs a lot of times I like to tie slight variations of a black and blue or a PbNJ. Around the Ozarks a PbNJ is hard to beat but often times adding a little blue or a little more purple can get you some more bites on hard days. Whenever there is a full moon approaching I have done really good on black and blue. I don’t know if the crawl fish change colors or what but that color really seems to shine. The further south you go the more red you want to add to your jig skirts. Most of the crawlfish around here have blueish pincher’s and I like to try to imitate that with my skirts by adding some blue. Also there are times when you want to use a thinner skirt or a thicker skirt. If I’m looking for a big bite with a football jig the thicker skirt gets the nod. If I’m just looking for some bites I’ll throw a thinner skirt with fewer strands. When you change the skirt size you can also make your jigs fall faster or slower to give your jig a different presentation. Sometimes playing around with this can give you a lot better results.

A great tool that I’ve really utilized on and off the water for my skirt building is the Naked Bait Company Skirt Expander. The expander lets you build skirts to your exact specifications. When your in a tournament and need to make a quick adjustment you can build a skirt in seconds. The product is really durable too. All you have to do is put a skirt guard on the pins, give the expander a twist so it spreads your band, insert your skirting material through the hole, twist it back to close the band, pull the skirt off the expander, and trim your skirt tails and you are ready to go.

Here's a pic of the skirt expander.

Last edited by TRUMAN BASSER; 01-29-09 at 08:23 PM.
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 09:28 PM   #2
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Very clever tool. how much?
Old 01-30-09, 03:10 PM   #3
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Bob,

Go to "www.tacklewarehouse.com", scroll down, then on the left side of the page look under "Accessories". The expander is somewhere under that section.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 03:32 PM   #4
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I used to use a pen.

Take a used up ballpoint pen, cut the back end off. Thread the rubber band of a skirt up on the ball point. Insert whatever skirt material you prefer in the back end of the pen that you just cut off, then work the rubber band back down so that it collapses on the skit material.

Of course that tool is better. I just think I have to mutch clutter. Besides, the tool is 25 bucks. A worn out ballpoint pen is free.
Old 01-30-09, 07:11 PM   #5
3dkicker

Mine was $1.50 and comes with the tab hook.
Old 01-30-09, 07:21 PM   #6
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I used to use a pen.

Take a used up ballpoint pen, cut the back end off. Thread the rubber band of a skirt up on the ball point. Insert whatever skirt material you prefer in the back end of the pen that you just cut off, then work the rubber band back down so that it collapses on the skit material.

Of course that tool is better. I just think I have to mutch clutter. Besides, the tool is 25 bucks. A worn out ballpoint pen is free.
Brilliant!

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 07:45 PM   #7
JB

take a small coffee can with a plastic lid, heat up a big nail and make yer own for pennies on the dollar...gesh 3D a buck fitty? u made of money
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 08:31 PM   #8
3dkicker

Had to break the piggy bank to purchase it.
Old 01-31-09, 02:35 AM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I used to use a pen.

i have tried the ball point pen trick early on, then i tried a carbon arrow that i cut down and stuck a field tip in. i now use the naked bait skirt expander and i promise that it is the best skirt tool out there bar none. i have had other companies send me samples and none of them compare. my skirt expanders have made thousands of skirts and are showing no signs of wear at all. when you make a lot of skirts like i do then you need a tool that makes it as fast and easy as possible, and since we make our skirts with 80 strands it is hard getting that much material stuck into other types of skirt making tools.
Old 01-31-09, 09:32 AM   #10
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Naked Bait Skirt Expander....$29.95 plus shipping/handling. Had to google it to find it.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 04:58 PM   #11
The Doc

http://fishingskirts.com/product_inf...roducts_id=333

This one works really good too, and fits in a tackle bag or box. It's about the size of a sharpie marker. My only problem with it is if you purchase skirt material that isn't tabbed on one side, it takes forever to get individual strands of skirt material in it. This one is only $4. There is a cool video demo on the site on how to use it.
Old 01-31-09, 06:49 PM   #12
jig fisherman

what kind of blades are you using to imitate the bluegills Truman Basser?
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 10:21 AM   #13
Mac2

Truman Basser....have you ever experimented with jigs that only use ten strands of skirt material? I make small jigs with seven strands mixed with some holographic flashabou and so far tipped with a small white grub or live minnow, have caught largemouth, smallmouth, rainbow trout and crappie. My jig only weighs 1/16 or less depending on the construction of the leadhead so an ultra lite approach is used here....but was thinking since ten strands gives you so much action, it might be worth a try.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 11:54 AM   #14
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

For blades if I'm in muddy water I like to throw a set of colorado blades with a red one in the front and an orange in the back. It seems to work really good on some of the muddy lakes but I rarely tell people I'm doing that.

Mac2,

I've started to add mini skirts to shakey head rigs. A lot of the pro's are doing that now. I think spot remover came out with a shakey head with a skirt on it. Works great.
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.