Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-13, 03:41 PM   #11
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Just FYI for Mboy, you didn't make it last year but the water then was not like it was the year before. I think that had something to do with the difference between the lures that worked each year. Last year most of the water I found was cloudy & green, not clear. I'm sure that had something to do with the top water bite but in the same vein, spinnerbaits didn't work in the cloudy water - which surprised me. In 2012 you could see bottom in 10' of water and a fish on could be seen fighting 20' from the boat and 5' down - that was fantastic, but not last year. Most of the water I found you could not see 3' and I think the fish held much tighter to cover. Your jig may have been bigger producer last year (than 2012) but I don't know because I seldom fish one.

I'm just mentioning the water clarity issue as that would likely make a difference on which lures to try. Dale Hollow is know for gin (or vodka, my preference) clear water but we didn't have it last year. Preparation for a long distance trip is not easy, and when the actual conditions upon arrival are not like the normal, clarity, lake level, etc. etc. it only makes it more so. Bottom line, it's a crap shoot on what to take, so take it ALL and sort it out after you get there, because as last year proved (to me, at least) what was hot the previous year could have been left at home and what you may have considered leaving at home - was exactly what was needed.

I'm thinking that if the water is clear like 2012, top water and traps (natural color, less flash) would be my first choice along with a swim jig, as Daniel mentioned, fished in more open water. If it's cloudy and green like 2013, then I would depend upon plastics, a jig, (finesse plastics would also be up there) and fish them around cover, especially wood. As for plastic swim baits, I think Woody had luck with them last year, I did not and I tried several types and sizes.

As for other "popular" smallie lures - I had many along but didn't try them and I can't say why other than I was doing OK with my Senko and just didn't bother to try something when I had a lure that was producing and the fact I just could not give up on the poppers (I wasted a good bit of time trying to get one on a top water). I wish I would have tried some other "small mouth lures" like an in-line spinner, fluke, tube, hair jig, shaky head, or drop shot, but I didn't. I didn't hear of anyone else trying them so I didn't bother either, which may have been a mistake, I don't know.

One last note - last year I did manage a few smallmouth on top water, but unlike the previous year where they were caught along stone walled banks, I caught rising smallies in deep water (30' - 40') well off the banks in the early morning - PRICELESS!! Ron & Alan remember - right? - mist still on the water as I pulled into "MY SPOT" and found Ron and Alan already there and they snapped this picture as I pulled up.

Dale is a beautiful body of water, if nothing else!

One of those rising smallmouth caught offshore. You can see how we're sitting in the middle of the creek. Ron & Adam were fishing the opposite bank. My favorite popper - Lucky Craft G-spash!!

Last edited by bassboogieman; 10-28-13 at 04:02 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.