Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-09, 08:53 PM   #1
alumacraftmvtek
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to alumacraftmvtek
Default should he restore this boat

it is a early model skeeter sf175. last on water around 1989. just pulled it out of the woods literally. It was inherited from his father. His father was the only owner. It has a Johnson seahorse 150 v6. The problem is it sat so long that it had a tree growing in the front floor drain so he got that out and we started working on it tonight. Boat will have to be rewired front to back. The biggest problem is the main support beams under the floor are rotten. I think the are called the stringers?? Where he had to cut the floor to get the tree out of it you can see they are rotted thru in the front and the boat has had water standing in it probably for 20 years. Don't even know if the engine will run. I told him first we should do some research on what or if those main supports in the boat could be fixed and would it be reasonable. Any input will be greatly appreciated since i know there are a couple guys here who have restored a couple of boats. Thanks
alumacraftmvtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 10:13 PM   #2
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...light=glastron

i've done it, did some work with a cast on.

pretty easy work, i want another one

but seriously, i'd strip all the wood out and get a piece of plywood to lay on the fiberglass casings, then take it to the lake, and see if the hull leaks. no leaks? then start the work on it. I'm 16 and did it mainly with the help of another 16 year old.
Old 05-08-09, 06:01 AM   #3
1FASTLASER

To put it nicely and not hurt any feelings......SCRAP IT.......unless the boat has some sentimental feelings or you just want to restore the boat dont do it bud. From the sounds of it the whole stringer system is gone and I gurantee you the transom is in the same shape. Stringers and transom are connected at the back. BIG diffence between an old glastron and a skeeter v-hull as far as replacing sll the rotted wood and flotation foam.
Old 05-08-09, 03:16 PM   #4
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

well yeah that too. this one had sentimental value.

well if you wanna bring it to SC, lemme know

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.