Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-09, 08:38 AM   #1
BassQualifier
BassFishin.Com Member

Lightbulb Preventing Thieves Breaking Into Boat

I saw another thread where a gentleman was looking for a Loc'R bar and some discussions about boats getting broke into ensued.

I too hear stories all the time of people's rods, reels and tackle getting stolen from their boats at night, whether they are in a boat slip for the night, in a parking lot, or behind the owner's house. But these stories you hear of stolen tackle.... is it because the tackle wasn't locked up in the compartments? Or was it because the tackle was indeed locked up, but the thieves broke or picked the locks and got everything that way?

I have a Triton that I keep a lot of tackle in and often keep the boat in publicly accessible areas overnight, but my compartments can be locked so I lock all the compartments. I have been assuming that since I lock my compartments, it'd be pretty tough to get my tackle stolen. Is this true?

I wasn't sure if you hear these theft stories all the time because boat owners didn't have locks on any of their compartments or because they just failed to lock their compartments one night.

So what's the deal? If my compartments have locks and I lock all my tackle up in those compartments, do I need any further protection? Is my tackle still a big target or do these thieves move on to unlocked boats?
BassQualifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 04:29 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

was it mccarter??

i don't have the thief problem much where my boat is stored.. two very large bluetick/plott hounds, they barely let ME in, to get to the boat..the last guy that tried.. well lets just say did not fair well. he got 9 months for b&e 6 more when he hit the house with a stray round, and 12 months for a shooting hammer-one of the dawgs-. plus vet bill... hammer is still mean an takin up space on the front porch...

zooker
Old 05-08-09, 10:12 PM   #3
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

most locks iv seen on boats are very simple a good bar and you can pop them
i take my stuf out of boat ,it's a pain but it don't get stole
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 11:56 PM   #4
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've heard many stories of stuff being stolen from locked and unlocked boats. Even with Loc-r-bars, if they want it bad enough they will get it. Just takes a pry bar, and then it really messes up your boat too. My alarm died so I think I'm going to order a good one soon, should be a good deterrent.
Also some guys put 2 way baby monitors in their rigs when parked at hotels.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 12:16 AM   #5
3dkicker

Let your 200lb pet Rot sleep in the boat and that should take care of 'em.....

I remove the tackle and keep it in the hotel room or in the house. Had a neighbor stop in not to long ago and let me know he saw two people checking out my boat when I wasn't home. The boat was parked in my driveway. He stopped and they took off. He had his trolling motor stolen not too long ago and thought he might have found the thieves.

I told him to call the cops next time. Nothing better than a good neighbor!
Old 05-09-09, 12:33 AM   #6
WTL

It depends on a lot of factors. Some criminals can be stupid, but most do cost/benifit analysis before they attempt to break in.

I had all my lures taken once, but I had a small boat and they were in a tackle box just sitting there. Kinda think one of the potheads who hung around just dropped by and took it. I made it easy for him, even though my boat was ugly and I'm sure most people would have never stopped.

The tougher you make it, the better your chances are that its safe.
Old 05-10-09, 08:22 PM   #7
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Good idea to remove the prop as well, unless the boat is in a VERY secure spot. Prop theft is a growing "industry".

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 08:38 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassackwards View Post
most locks iv seen on boats are very simple a good bar and you can pop them
i take my stuf out of boat ,it's a pain but it don't get stole

Some of our compartments have locks, some don't. One of the rod lockers, the guys we bought the boat from locked something in there and didn't have a key or something. Lond story short, he used a pry bar to get it open. My dad's gonna weld a new piece of metal where the tongue of the lock was so we can lock it on the way to KY Lake. We'll definately be taking the stuff out once we're there (at night).

BB
Old 05-11-09, 05:10 PM   #9
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Some of our compartments have locks, some don't. One of the rod lockers, the guys we bought the boat from locked something in there and didn't have a key or something. Lond story short, he used a pry bar to get it open. My dad's gonna weld a new piece of metal where the tongue of the lock was so we can lock it on the way to KY Lake. We'll definately be taking the stuff out once we're there (at night).

BB

perko the #1 factory installed hatch lock.. only makes 7 differant keyed locks..

zooker
Old 05-11-09, 05:25 PM   #10
bamabassman

gonna get me a life size poster board pic of zooker holding a shotgun to put by my rig, hahahahahahaha. scare even ME late at night, lmao.

but for real, i haven't had a problem with theives..................yet. but our dog barks if he hears the wind blow, that may be why.
Old 05-13-09, 12:13 AM   #11
t1365
BassFishin.Com Member

I've got an 09 Champion with compartment locks and a Lock R Bar. In the world of thievery I believe most boat compartment locks are easy to defeat. The Lock R Bar isn't too hard to get by either, I just hope it adds enough deterrent to make somebody move on to an easier target since most thieves are basically lazy.
t1365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 12:57 AM   #12
carolina-rig-01

i guess the going thing now is for thieves to use the boat winch to bust the lock r bar loose.
Old 05-13-09, 03:38 AM   #13
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassQualifier View Post
I have a Triton that I keep a lot of tackle in and often keep the boat in publicly accessible areas overnight, but my compartments can be locked so I lock all the compartments. I have been assuming that since I lock my compartments, it'd be pretty tough to get my tackle stolen. Is this true?

So what's the deal? If my compartments have locks and I lock all my tackle up in those compartments, do I need any further protection? Is my tackle still a big target or do these thieves move on to unlocked boats?
Buddy,

As gently as I can state it; You're asking to get robbed. Under the circumstances you mention it's not "If", it's "When".
Take measures!

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 06:14 PM   #14
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am under the beleif the lock only keep honest people Honest. I try not to leave anything in the boat.when ever possible ...at a motel I take it all inside at a store I either throw it in the tuck or keep someone out watching it. Theive cause you more expence in boat repairs as the break in thiing than the stuff they get( Quite Often). The first boat a theif gets into is the one with the biggest lock.IMO.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 02:31 PM   #15
Captmikestarrett

Glue hooks to underside of hatches. Leave boat dirty so no one with a sense of smell can stand it. Grease step plates. Just kidding..

But just remove anything that you would hate to lose.

Or fork out big $$$ for one of these.

I have also seen the hydraulic lift ones too.

Capt Mike
Old 05-20-09, 11:37 PM   #16
66KingFisher

Thats cool....I've never seen one of those before.....Does the top raise straight up or what?
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-09, 09:44 PM   #17
Captmikestarrett

Requires a special key to activate hydralic lift.

Capt Mike
Old 05-23-09, 03:01 AM   #18
bassboogieman

I also have a Triton and I can pop the locked lids without much trouble. The latch is only plastic - I've seen metal ones, but mine are a hard plastic. I use a Tackle-Safe locking bar (sadly, no longer in production). It's fairly secure, not foolproof for a determined thief, but enough to deter a quick snatch at a rest stop and I trust it enough to leave the boat while docked overnight. It would make some noise to defeat it, and a lot more noise would follow if I catch someone trying. When on the trailer the addition of the cover and a baby monitor on the deck makes me fairly confident my boat will not be messed with overnight while on the road. Thieves will look for much easier pickings.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 11:05 PM   #19
gabasser
BassFishin.Com Member

I pull everthing out of my boat at the hotel when I'm traveling. At home it stays in the garage unless I'm leaving out early the next morning then I pull it out in the drive way but still nothing stays in the boat. I also keep all my lids unlocked and remove all electronics from the boat. If they want to check out my boat they will see nothing. I will remove the Trolling motor if I cant park it in front of my room or if I'm in a area that I dont trust. Got a prop lock on the prop
gabasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.