Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-08, 06:32 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default New fishin' spot... need advice... i think...

My sister's boyfriend and I went fishing in his uncle's pond today. It is one of those ponds the gov. dug to get dirt to build the turnpike. I asked him what weeds or structure was there and he said the last time he went, just a few tree limbs that had blown in during storms and stuff. When we got there the place was filled with Lilypads and weeds resembling Pondweed (from what I could tell). And of course, I brought crankbaits...

All I could think about was Zooker saying, "Horny Toad... nuff said." Needless to say, when we go back, I'm bringing my topwaters frogs.

But say, theyre not hitting topwaters. Then I'm out of ideas... We are shore bound unless we can fix up on of the little aluminum boats there. I tried fishing a T-rigged power worm with a 1/16oz weight and was still catching the pondweed stuff..... So, is there anything else I should try from shore to catch fish?

Thanks,

BB
Old 07-18-08, 06:39 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

did you try throwing a fluke ? and how thick was the weed could you work a spinner through or around it ? you could also try puching through the pads with a 1/2 oz jig .
Old 07-18-08, 06:41 PM   #3
frogfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

get some yum crawbugs and bring it along the lily pads and letit drop down into the holes....usually they will hit it right when it starts to sink in. also you could get some senkos or yum dingers and cast them around the bank...
frogfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 07:14 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Jim, brilliant, why didn't I think of spinnerbait! DOH! There were quite a few pockets that I could throw the spinnerbait to, I'd just be pulling grass off it after bringing out of the pockets. The fluke was a good idea too. Let it set on top of the weeds and twitch it.

FF, I tihnk the craws would be a bit hard to fish from shore, (we're keepin an eye out at garage sales for a used 30lb or so TM). Never thought of using senkos either. I just tried my Gammy weedless finess hooks the other day and they worked great. I think I'll have a try as well. (You know the sad part was that I had some Yum dingers with me... again, DOH!

BB
Old 07-18-08, 07:58 PM   #5
Jim80

the craws actually are not that hard to fish from shore in heavy weeds like that i just c-rig it with a 24in leader and a 1/2 to 3/4 oz egg weight , then just hop the weight to give the craw it's swimming effect , it's worked for me and i fish pretty much only from shore .
Old 07-18-08, 10:22 PM   #6
WTL

Try a pink floating worm as well. They do a good job of calling bass out of weeds and they dont get hung up easily.
Old 07-18-08, 10:27 PM   #7
BigBassin144

I think now might be a good time to try the floating walleye jig thing too. Hook the worm on it like a shakey head (the ones without bait keepers) so it doesn't hang in the weeds. Floating worms... don't think I have any of those. Looks like it's off to BPS. Too bad our wally world isn't like the one down there in Scottsboro

BB
Old 07-18-08, 10:30 PM   #8
WTL

I never thought I would hear of someone pining for a walmart like they have in scottsboro. Wow.
Old 07-18-08, 10:32 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Fishing wise. We have about 1/4 of what they have down there, and 85% of it is walleye stuff.

BB
Old 07-18-08, 10:32 PM   #10
Jim80

my walmart sucks up here to the tackle section is about 15 feet long
Old 07-19-08, 10:04 AM   #11
Jigger

Fluke, Trick worm with no weight and try a lizard without any weight. Just swim the lizard through the grass and let it fall into the pockets or holes and twitch it back to the top. For that matter, you can fish all kinds of plastic without a weight in weedy ponds like you describe and they're not to bad to collect weeds without the weight.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 12:16 PM   #12
Bender

I see those ponds all the time driving down I75 and across 30 in Ohio and always wonder if there are some bigguns in them. I would also go with the idea of soft plastics, slow sinking ones tossed into holes and along the edges of the weeds. If it is like a typical farm pond and doesn't get fished too much, once you figure out the right tactic you should be able to catch quite a few fish. Sounds like a lot of fun, good luck!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 03:56 PM   #13
BigBassin144

The property belongs to his uncle, so it doesn't get any public fishing pressure that i'm aware of. I saw a few smaller ones (8-10") cruisin in the shallows, and got a few bites on the t-rigged plastic, but no hook ups. I thought it as the sutpid little baitstealing bluegills, but then I got a few that pulled fairly hard but I pulled it away when I tried to set the hook.... Could be big bluegill..

BB
Old 07-19-08, 04:00 PM   #14
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
The property belongs to his uncle, so it doesn't get any public fishing pressure that i'm aware of. I saw a few smaller ones (8-10") cruisin in the shallows, and got a few bites on the t-rigged plastic, but no hook ups. I thought it as the sutpid little baitstealing bluegills, but then I got a few that pulled fairly hard but I pulled it away when I tried to set the hook.... Could be big bluegill..

BB
I would rig up a weightless nightcrawler and find out if they are really bluegills
Old 07-20-08, 01:40 AM   #15
cassidyta

I would go with a wieghtless robo worm. Try to skip it to your spot. This will usually grab the attention of the ones lurkin gin the weeds.
cassidyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-08, 10:41 AM   #16
Bmuskin

All I fish here in Missouri are the ponds in subdivisions and old farms with some strip pits thrown in. They get neglected because of all the big water. I started early in the spring with Senko's and have not quit yet. Really its all I have fished this year. I just change rigging and technique. Try rigging weedless hopping on top of pads then hit the pocket let it sink slowly....weightless....and twitch. If there is a bass within 20 feet watch out.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-08, 10:53 AM   #17
crankybait

drop a powerworm in a little gap between the lilypads. All of the ideas here are logical, just try a bunch and see what works
Old 07-25-08, 08:33 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Thanks again for all the ideas guys, I'll let you know how it works the next time we go out there.

BB
Old 08-23-08, 02:01 PM   #19
buddy_fuentes
BassFishin.Com Member

Weightless Trick Worm is the ticket around here. We use white, school bus yellow, and black with red flake.

Buddy
buddy_fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 03:48 PM   #20
bamabassman

hey bb. try a jig. maybe a pignjig. right in da middle of da grass and pads pal. i got some heads from ol zoker i am DYING to try. IF the dang wind ever stops blowing. faye is almost here pal.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.