Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-08, 02:56 PM   #1
frogfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Jigs or Cranks?

Okay I have 40$ to spend. Jig set or Crank set.... If I buy the Crank set it is 15$ and includes 5 cranks all different sizes, depths and colors. The jig set has like 12 jigs and 50 somethin trailers. I usually fish a 50-acre pond that has lots of lily pads lining the shore and includes overabundance of largemouth bass but it still has the big ones. I catch alll my bass in the lily pads near trees and I catch em using YUM crawbugs dropped in the holes in the pads. ***I also fish from shore. there is some open water where I could use a crank but not a whole lot. I'm also going to Deep Creek Lake which is the largest man-made lake in MD. I will still be fishing from shore so I am limited to mostly shallow water. there are docks and lots of different cover. Bridges, trees, everything. Relatively clear water.sometimes stained. Whats the best thing to go with? I mostly am talking about for my small pond near my house but the deep creek lake is a very good fishing place and I am staying there for a week and I want to catch a fish
frogfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-08, 03:03 PM   #2
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like the jigs.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-08, 03:04 PM   #3
Jim80

I would stay with what you are more comfortable with , if your gonna fish your main place i would go with the jigs just cause they are easier to punch through the pads , with that said i have been been on a bit of a binge buying crankbaits lately when my funds permit it , but ethier one would be a good buy
Old 07-25-08, 03:05 PM   #4
3dkicker

Buy yourself a couple Bandit 100's or other shallow running crankbaits and also buy some jigs. If you are fishing from the shore you'll probably hang up and lose the med or deep running cranks. Jigs you can expect to lose too but if you pick up 8 or so then you can still get a couple sizes. Use your craws as trailers and you're all set.
Old 07-25-08, 03:09 PM   #5
frogfisher

the jig set comes with trailers
Old 07-25-08, 04:40 PM   #6
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

frogfisher where in maryland do u live? and for that pond I would go with the jigs!
Old 07-25-08, 05:06 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i am with 3d here. i am not a fan of kits at all, and here is why. when you buy a kit you get a set amount of so many colors and maybe certain styles. i would rather go and by each jig or crankbait seperate so i can pick the colors i want. a kit may seem cheaper at first but if you stop to consider that you may end up with a color or style that you don't really like then you really didn't save any money because if you bought seperate then you could have bought more of the colors you do like.
Old 07-25-08, 06:26 PM   #8
3dkicker

After re-reading your post I'd like to modify my response slightly. If it was me and I was fishing the bodies of water you described and I had $40 to spend I'd get myself a Baby 1 or a Bandit Footloose or two ($8-9). Get a Bandit 100 or Rebel Wee R or two ($8-9). Pick up 1 Black and 1 Green Pumpkin 1/2 oz jig ($5-6), 1 Black and 1 Green Pumpkin 3/8 oz jig ($5-6) - make sure they are designed for wood or have a flat bottom so they can be skipped. Last I'd pick up two packs of Yum Craw Papi's in the 4" size, Black/blue and Green Pumpkin ($8-10).
Should get you in and out under $40 including paying the man his 5% and you'll satisfy the monkey for the time being. But of course that's me and my $.02. Let us know how you do!
Old 07-25-08, 06:29 PM   #9
brushhog

I'm with the always knowledgeable 3D on this one, by the way in my neck of the woods 50 acres is a small lake!
Old 07-26-08, 11:57 AM   #10
frogfisher

thanks 3d that was very helpful..... my dad keeps putting off the fishing trip ive been talking about.... possibly tomorrow i will go fishing. I'm going to try to stop by Bass Pro today. I live near Centennial Park. well its about a 10 to 15 minute drive there... i live near columbia
Old 07-26-08, 12:05 PM   #11
frogfisher

what do you guys think about the Booyah Bed Bug and the Booyah Boo Jig? Which one should I get? Should I get ones that are more flat on the bottom? Any suggestions for good jigs?
Old 07-26-08, 01:07 PM   #12
frogfisher

Default Which one out of these?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults

I know that theres a lot but any suggestions would be appreciated.... There was so many I just gave up after a while... just pick your fav one or tell me of one i didnt list.
Old 07-27-08, 07:48 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

3D you and me would get along VERY well in a boat by looking at your recommendatiions on baits. As far as colors there froggy you can't hardly go wrong with variations of green and brown and balck and blue in 90% of the times. I keep those and of course the black and red and the ole time favorite of brown and orange in as well. Those 4 color schemes always cover the fishing area for me. As far as head styles here is a little trick alot of us use...............when punching through weed or limbs you eed a style head that has more of a bullet nose to get back out without getting stuck........when fishing rock you need a wider head like a football head to keep from getting stuck,
Old 07-27-08, 01:08 PM   #14
frogfisher

I already got these
BOOYAH Boo Jig 3/8 oz Green Pumpkin
1/2 oz Black Blue
Bass Pro Enticer Rattlin Jig 3/8 oz. Black Blue
1/2 oz. green pumpkin
Didnt use em much today because I was killin em with my Crawbugs... had 4 bass within the first hour, getting 7 for the day.
Old 07-27-08, 02:33 PM   #15
Cranebird

Make sure to remove the trailers from the jigs when done for the day, so the hook shank don't rust and they will last you a long time.

I would add a Bandit 200 series in there as well.You simply must have the Bandit 100 series, no one should leave home without it.
Old 07-27-08, 05:01 PM   #16
Jigger

If those are your choices and you have only a small amount of money to spend, go with the jigs. A jig is the most versatile bait in the world. You can fish it shallow, deep or anywhere in between. Hop it, dead stick it, or swim it. If I could only take one bait with me, it would be a jig.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 11:17 PM   #17
3dkicker

Laser - I kept it simple with the colors. Once you get GP and B/B down then you can go crazy with the PBJs and Neons. Matter of fact I picked up my first fish yesterday on my 1/2oz PBJ jig with the Paca PBJ craw as a trailer. Not to excited about that trailer color...all jelly and no PB. Jig bite was tough this weekend. Did catch one on Bandit Footloose yesterday too. Haven't tossed that one in a long time.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.