Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-06, 12:14 AM   #1
Futurepro22
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Futurepro22
Default Negative Criticism

I get this harassment from anglers. ALL of the negative I get is from older guys. They think that they are better than me b/c of their age.. They may know more, but that doesnt mean I cant kick their ba$$ fishing. I think they do this b/c they are intimidated in a way and dont wanna lose to a kid thats 2-3 times younger than they are. I also think that there is jealousily in there... they wish they would be at the same level they are now.. when they were my age... They dont want me to succeed b/c they didnt or maybe they just think I"m a teenage PUNK who likes to cause trouble b/c they believe the stereotype of todays kids...that also makes it so SWEET when i do beat them.... This applies to the FEW... I also get a TON of postitive encouragement from my elders (my parents,older friends) and strangers .. they WANT to see me succeed b/c they think its great that i'm so into fishing, instead of drugs and what not..for example ... a stranger ...1fastlazer. sent me a PM and asked me if he could give my resume to businesses in his area! i didnt ask him to do this..he took his time and energy to help me get to areas that I may not be able to contact. He also visited my website(www.freewebs.com/futurepro22).. and wrote a message that is encouraging.. most fellow anglers and people my age want me to succeed . or maybe they just want to say to themselves one day... Hey I fished/helped out with that kid in a tournament a few years ago and gave him some pointers... I THANK ALL OF YOU WHO SUPPORT THE YOUNGER GENERATIONS..it is good to know that not all the fisherman on the water are "b*******s"
i am always wanting to learn.. and to do that I must watch and learn from my elders.. I myself along with a friend started our own bass club, and are creating a youth club to get kids into fishing and keep them away from the "dark side" of teenage life today.. and who knows.. we make create the enxt KVD, clunn. Again.. thanks to all who support the younger generations.. sorry to ramble on.. this has been bothering me for some time and i felt like i needed to get it out
thank you again 1fastlazer. .i greatly appreciate it
and thanks to all the older anglers in here willing to help out the younger generation to succeed not only in fishing but in life!
Futurepro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 12:17 AM   #2
Futurepro22

i quess i cant put BASS and HOLES together...
Old 02-03-06, 11:03 AM   #3
Kickin Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Kickin Bass

My suggestion is that you take in all the critisizm that you can, smile, thank them for their input and learn from it.

Critisizm is not necessarily a bad thing, but can actually make you more knowledgable and a stronger person. Learn how to use it to your benefit.

My two cents of critisizm for you - it seems to me that you may have an inferiority complex with this.

"They think that they are better than me b/c of their age..."

"I think they do this b/c they are intimidated in a way and dont wanna lose to a kid thats 2-3 times younger than they are."

"They dont want me to succeed"

"they just think I"m a teenage PUNK"

Suggestion: Look at it differently. Look at it as you are gaining knowledge. Be a sponge. Soak it all up. Then, thank them.

Case in point. I have been fishing since I was a kid with my dad (1960's). I got into studying fish (lunar tables, tides, fish habits, lures, effects of vegatation etc) in late 1970's. (Around your age) Anyway, I have this freind of mine who has been fishing for about 6 years - insisting on giving me tips and telling me how various lures work. Worms, crankbaits, rigging styles etc ... like I have never seen them or rigged them before. LOL ... so what do I do ? Listen and look for anything new I didn't know about - and thank him for the tip. (Whether I already knew it or not)

Enjoy the critics remarks, learn from them, you'll be surprised how you will be treated then.

I'm sure I'll be reading about you one of these days in the fishing magazines ! Good luck and don't give up your dream.
Kickin Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 12:11 PM   #4
Futurepro22

i do take it all in.. learn from it... i quess you guys took it that it was bringing me down.. its not.. its adding fuel to my fire... i always learn something from them even if it is negative...
Old 02-03-06, 12:21 PM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I was always proud of the younger anglers in my club when they did good.
I had plenty of youth events (cast for kids and tournaments) and had several young men your age in my club that were good to begin with, and only needed some guidance on new bodies of water. The best revenge you can achieve is bringing in some weight at the scales at weigh in time.
Once you get older, age won't mean a thing to you and fellow anglers.
Its all about attitude, your skill level, and all around sportsmanship.
The downfall I saw in some of my young club members was probably the strain bass fishing put on their new brides..either too much invested in boating and bass equipment compared to what was needed to run a household, and also the time spent away from the wife and kids bass fishing, prefishing a tournie, or being away for the weekend at a tournie.
Its a delicate balance to keep everyone happy.
Being twice as old and then some, I never really looked at younger guys (about your age) as a negative, for the most part the younger guys have lots of enthusasim and energy, a needed plus to clubs that have lots of middle aged or older guys that have ailments lol..good luck to ya futurepro..ya have my support, and best wishes!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 02:45 PM   #6
fishn'fool
BassFishin.Com Member

futurepro:

Even though I'm 20 years old, I CAN'T relate to you on this one. I'm not trying to blow my horn but I think I'm a good fisherman and others around me (including older) people see that. I can't think of a time where I've taken crap from any one else about my age and fishing abilities. Some older people ask me question about fishing, and I'm still learning from them. My major in college is Conservation with a minor of biology, and I'm trying my danmdist to get into fisheries management, so I think alot of older guys and gals who fish and hunt respect me and value my imput.
Good fishing

Last edited by fishn'fool; 02-03-06 at 02:51 PM.
fishn'fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 03:55 PM   #7
WTL

I'm 22 years old. People underestimate me as well, but it doesnt really bother me. Now that could just be because there is a difference in what we are going after, you trying to eventually make a living in fishing will dictate that you need legitimate exposure, me just wanting to fish so that I can compare myself today with myself yesterday means I don't need the exposure, sometimes don't even want it. To each there own on that. My only suggestion to you would be to be more patient with the older folks. They will learn. It took JoePa a long time to win that first National Championship, but he was patient and he has been rewarded because of it.
Old 02-03-06, 05:22 PM   #8
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

im 13... people totaly underestimate me, but hey i dont blame em, most peoples critisism, although negative helps me out. for example, some dude just started laughing at me when i was holding my rod the wrong way. i said, yeah, a kid fishing, very funny. then he said some nonsense but then he said like holding your rod the wrong way. so i just flipped it righ, asked if he was happy, then he left. but usually i get all overdefensive and smart assing them
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-06, 02:38 PM   #9
Fish2win

You may be correct on some points. Here is my take on experience verses youth. I have been fishing for bass for 45 years, I came up in a majical time because most of what we now have( rods,boats,lures,sonar) has been developed during my growth time. I have a 15 year old son that is an upcoming bass fisherman. He does not have near the knowledge or experience that I do. What he does have is enthusiasm and stamina. During my 30's and 40's I could fish 8 to 12 hour per day 3 or 4 times per week. I would fish 12 hour night tournamnets weekly in the summer. I would never feel tired or drained from the time I spent on the water.Now I am a better fisherman in many ways but If I go fish a 12 hour night tourney it takes me 2 days to get over it.Most of days on the lake and I still spend more than 150 per year are 5 or 6 hours. I teach my son everything he will listen too. He is a good student. He and I have been tourney fishing wildcats for several years. His fishing has steadily improved. The first couple of years he was just there watching me catch. Last year he out fished me on 3 occasions and out fished most of the grown men that we fished against.I hope he turns out better than I have ever been. He listens .thinks and then asks questions . Since we live on the lake he fishes more than I do.He gets tips from several guys but he never has a negative attitude or a know it all attitude . That makes a lot of more mature guys want to show him things.Listen to those guys , accept what you will and forget the rest. Fish2win
Old 02-04-06, 04:27 PM   #10
Futurepro22

I dont have a "cocky" attitude. The guys that give me crap are ones that have never talked to me before. So how do they know what I am like if they dont even introduce themselves to me. They just think of the typical srereotypes of teens today. But honestly, if I was "in" that stereotype... y would be fhisng tournaments.. shouldnt i be out causing trouble somewhere..they just dont take the time to meet me and know my personality. I love to learn from other people.. but most dont give me the time ..unless I fish with them in a tourny...
Old 02-04-06, 04:53 PM   #11
WTL

You're 19?

Like I said be patient. The difference between the treatment you will get as a 19 year old vs a 24 year old is night and day. So in 5 years, all of your concerns regarding this issue will essentially be ameliorated.
Old 02-04-06, 05:54 PM   #12
Fishie

Yeah I wouldn't care at all if I was criticized... look at Barry Bonds being criticized and all. I don't care what anyone says he is the best hitter in the league no matter what...lol not saying he isn't on steroids though... Take it with a grain of salt...
Old 02-04-06, 08:03 PM   #13
Fish2win

Future Pro says I dont have a "cocky" attitude

Fp, I was not emplying that you did. Maybe you are missing the obvious, There are many lnowledgable fishewrman on this board. I see there post and there replys to many prople every day. You have a great place to draw on a wealth of experience. Forget the negative people that have you so up tight. There will be negative people around all your life. Draw on the resoarce that you have and grow. Positives attract and negatives repell. Fish2win

Last edited by Fish2win; 02-05-06 at 11:04 AM.
Fish2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 08:50 AM   #14
lizardsrule

First off, I must say this sounds a lot like whining to me, but I could be wrong. Now with that said, read this.
http://stren.flwoutdoors.com/tournam...006&aid=143830

Lizards
Old 02-05-06, 08:54 AM   #15
crankybait

futurtepro, whats that saying? i think its "take it out on the feild" thats what i do in football, school, anything. somone says im stupid, i ace a test they fail. someone chucks a ball at my face i tackle them as hard as i can
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 02:48 PM   #16
Futurepro22

wow... look at what i started.... i think you guys took this the wrong way.... or maybe i didnt explain myself correctly probabl more on my part... i didnt mean to start this whole big thing...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.