Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-10, 08:55 AM   #1
muddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Question; WHO AND WHY WAS MY POST EDITED

Hey Mods: Please read and answer. I put up a post in a thread called : So you are thinking of trying a swimbait. I mentioned that I had just bought a couple of MS Mini Slammers, and when I went to look at the thread , for replies and or suggestions I noticed that the words MS Mini Slammers were in blue. When I clicked on them, it took the reader to TACKLEWAREHOUSE, and it is where I bought them in the first place

I feel like who ever did that, was out of line
All who know me will tell you I never recommend or knock any thing that I have not used, I dislike that people do this wholesale on the internet as a major point. Putting a live link ON SOMETHING I wrote, implies that I am sending you to the siTE.IF I FELT THAT STRONGLY ABOUT THE PRODUCT I WOULD HAVE DONE IT MYSELF, and now I can't modify this.tHERE IS AN IMPLIED ENDORSMENT HERE, I AM NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THAT.
I do put links up for stuff that I have used,Since this is my first order from TW and I have not even used the Slammers I feel this is an unfair practice here, and I am asking for you to refrain from doing this

Last edited by muddy; 02-14-10 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-14-10, 10:57 AM   #2
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
Hey Mods: Please read and answer. I put up a post in a thread called : So you are thinking of trying a swimbait. I mentioned that I had just bought a couple of MS Mini Slammers, and when I went to look at the thread , for replies and or suggestions I noticed that the words MS Mini Slammers were in blue. When I clicked on them, it took the reader to TACKLEWAREHOUSE, and it is where I bought them in the first place

All who know me will tell you I never recommend or knock any thing that I have not used, I dislike that people do this wholesale on the internet as a major point. Putting a live link ON SOMETHING I wrote, implies that I am sending you to the siTE.IF I FELT THAT STRONGLY ABOUT THE PRODUCT I WOULD HAVE DONE IT MYSELF, and now I can't modify this.tHERE IS AN IMPLIED ENDORSMENT HERE, I AM NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THAT.
I do put links up for stuff that I have used,Since this is my first order from TW and I have not even used the Slammers I feel this is an unfair practice here, and I am asking for you to refrain from doing this
I've noticed this as well. But I have the opposite feeling. You remember that this is a FREE website correct? No one was forced to use it. I have found A LOT of information on here that I feel is very useful, and it was all free. Websites and forums have a cost. If the owners need to use this as a way to offset the cost, then super! That means the information on here will continue to be free.
Old 02-14-10, 12:10 PM   #3
muddy

Hey Camg I am not new to forums nor am I an idiot. I do not need to be talked down too. As far as I have been on fishing forums, some six years nwo, not one post has been edited or deleted it unless i went outside of guidlines. I was edited here, I checked the guidlines , I did not violate them so I asked why I was Editied. I have the right ot ask and to maintain a distance from recomending things I did not use, since i take this stand with others.Stick around and read what I write as I am a man of my word. He has bills to pay not me, I politley asked why and expressed displeasure at this.

I give all I can honestly and freely and I want to make sure NO ONE puts words in my mouth, get it?

Last edited by muddy; 02-14-10 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-14-10, 12:30 PM   #4
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Hey Camg I am not new to forums nor am I an idiot. I do not need to be talked down too. As far as I have been on fishing forums, some six years nwo, not one post has been edited or deleted it unless i went outside of guidlines. I was edited here, I checked the guidlines , I did not violate them so I asked why I was Editied. I have the right ot ask and to maintain a distance from recomending things I did not use, since i take this stand with others.Stick around and read what I write as I am a man of my word. He has bills to pay not me, I politley asked why and expressed displeasure at this.

I give all I can honestly and freely and I want to make sure NO ONE puts words in my mouth, get it?
Neat. Have a nice day.
Old 02-14-10, 01:36 PM   #5
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Personally, I don't see where linking them to Tackle Warehouse implies an endorsement by you.
Do you have a legitimate gripe on the editing? Possibly. But it's not something to get worked up about.
If I say I got a lure at Gander mountain today (I got 6 ), that isn't an endorsement of the lure, or of Gander Mountain.
I'd like to see instances like this more often. I had no idea what a mini slammer was. Now I do
Old 02-14-10, 01:38 PM   #6
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:

Hey Muddy,

First off, I think you have every right to ask why your post was edited and see what comes back as the answer. When you say, "now I can't modify this", what does that mean? Aren't you able to edit your own post and remove the link if you want to?

For whatever another perspective is worth, I didn't read the link to the product as any type of endorsement, and it was helpful to me because I had no idea what a "mini slammer" was. I just assumed that's what the link was intended to show the rest of us -- what a mini slammer is. That being said, you still have the right to express your displeasure at your post being edited. Hopefully it will be resolved to your satisfaction.

Dean
Old 02-14-10, 01:42 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Muddy, I can definitely see where you're coming from, but I have been on forums that put ads in posts like this. However, most do it automatically and contain links to sponsors.

I don't know why links to products are being added to posts, but honestly, I don't think people see it as you recommending the product. To me, it seems more like more info about a product as opposed to recommending it. Unless you actually say, I recommend this product, I don't think people view it as you recommending it.

BB
Old 02-14-10, 01:45 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

As per not being able to edit it, after a certain period of time, you aren't able to edit any of your posts, it's not because it has been changed to include the links.

Like the other guys and I stated, I think it's more about giving others more information on the lures/rods/reels etc, than saying you're endorsing them.

BB
Old 02-14-10, 01:47 PM   #9
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
As per not being able to edit it, after a certain period of time, you aren't able to edit any of your posts, it's not because it has been changed to include the links.

Like the other guys and I stated, I think it's more about giving others more information on the lures/rods/reels etc, than saying you're endorsing them.

BB
Thanks, BB. I did not realize that.
Old 02-14-10, 01:50 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Muddy, I can understand you not wanting to be seen as vouching for a product. However, I don't think there is anything sinister at work here. Just the site owner trying to pay the bills, so to speak, with a convenient link to a sponsor's site.

Can you not edit the post at all? Or just the part with the link?

If you feel that strongly about it, I think you could just edit in something in your post like "link above added by admins, not me". That wouldn't be a slam to the sponsor, just the truth.

I think as you're on this board more and more, people will get to know you (most probably already do), and know your attitudes towards endorsing a product.
Old 02-14-10, 04:08 PM   #11
muddy

Thanks to all. This is not lets get into an argument anger. I am a stickler about not endorsing products and companies that I have no experience with I have styated this many times
Mallen I have been in the situation with editing implied endorsements out of material for an organization that I belong to, as our bylaws so to speak, keep us from doing this. When I looked up Implied Endorsement, one of the definitions is to utter out loud or mention in print, So if someone edits a live link, into a post I put up, I would say I can make a good cause for it being a type of implied endorsement, which did not actually come from me, but was placed there with out my consent. When a reader clicks on this post bearing my name, he is taken to a site and a product that I have purchased but thts the onlyu experience with ot, which I would not do on my own. Why is it Okay for someone to edit that into my post, bearing my name, without asking first?
My intention is neither to slam our host or the sponsor, but since I do not know who the mods are or how to get in touch with them, ius to let them know I am not comfortable with this.

Last edited by muddy; 02-14-10 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-14-10, 04:20 PM   #12
MallenManson

I wouldn't let it bother you, muddy. From what I've seen in this thread, nobody took it as an endorsement.
Not saying the link was ok, although myself, I would have been fine with it. Doesn't mean all would feel the way I do though.
Old 02-14-10, 04:22 PM   #13
muddy

Hey by the way If I do mention something and you are not sure of or not heard of just ask, I am willing to explain it, all the time.
Old 02-14-10, 04:25 PM   #14
MallenManson

Quote:
Hey by the way If I do mention something and you are not sure of or not heard of just ask, I am willing to explain it, all the time.

You just opened a whole can of worms ha! There's all kinds of baits I don't know about.
Had no idea how bait/technique clueless I was until I joined this site.
Old 02-14-10, 04:28 PM   #15
WTL

I think I agree with your sentiments muddy. I don't think there is anything wrong with someone else coming in and posting a link to the lures for easier reference, but I think it would be less problematic if they were to do so under their posting name as a moderator. Editing your post seems to be a less effective way to accomplish the goal which I think, for the moderator, was merely to be helpful.

I think this is a small issue, and one based on principle, but it is worthy of discussion.
Old 02-14-10, 04:40 PM   #16
muddy

Thanks WTL, that is right where I am at with this, Hey Mallen, I am constantly learning, so if you ask me something I know about, repeating it just helps me keep in touch with the basics, so you would be helping both of us.
Old 02-14-10, 05:58 PM   #17
Kevin
Administrator

Hi muddy,

I graciously respect your request and have removed the link from your post.

Linking a product name is occasionally done to provide forum visitors an opportunity to see photos of the "not-so-familiar" lures people talk about.

As in this particular case, an MS Slammer is a lure many people are unfamiliar with, and by linking it to a page that offers photos/description of the lure, it gives visitors an option to learn about tackle that is being discussed so they can participate and contribute more easily. At least, that was our thoughts... I hope it's been a nice feature for some.

But like I said, I understand your position and will respect your wishes.

Thanks for all your contributions and your patronage to the site. We're always looking for knowledgeable anglers like yourself to share your experiences.

Kind Regards,

Kevin
Closed Thread

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.