Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-09, 01:03 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Found a possible honey hole but need help

My bride has been giving me to do lists since the lay off and yesterday she only had one thing on the list. Go Fishing. (She's great at times) Well I used it to go and check out some of the water I had seen on google maps. I had packed light because I was mostly on foot and climbing over rocks and through trees.
I took one medium heavy rod and a couple of bags of plastics that I could fit into my cargo pockets. I had a pack of watermellon IKA's, a pack of pearl white flukes and a pack of 8 inch purple hand poured worms.
After a 5 mile hike I came to a spot where three creeks run together. Pitched against the 15 foot tall tulleys with no luck but did find a spot where I could see the fish on both sides of a dam. It is about 20 foot deep on the high side of the dam and varies between 3 to 10 foot on the reception side. It is full of large boulders and it crytal clear. (I could see the purple worm 15 foot down) I just didn't have anything they were interested in. The only strike that I got was by tossing my fluke onto the top of the dam and letting it fall down with the running water. I would let it sit as though stunned and then twitch it.
I plan to go back tomorrow, but as I said it is a hike to get in so I am not taking much with me I have a small backpack that will hold a couple of bags of plastics and two of my plasitc dividers. Any suggestions on what to take?

The terrain
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0080.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	488.6 KB
ID:	3227

The Dam

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	3228
Old 02-26-09, 01:19 PM   #2
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Any suggestions on what to take?
ME!!!

Seriously, though, I'm definitely thinking finesse, with the water being so clear. Shaky head, drop shot, wacky rigged Senkos. Do you know if this dam has any fishing pressure? I figure probably not, unless there's another way to get there besides hiking 5 miles. They'll be real cautious in the clear water, regardless, so smaller lures would be better, methinks.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-09, 01:59 PM   #3
cassidyta

No pressure that I can imagine. I did not see any signs of trash, old lines or anything else.
Old 02-26-09, 02:15 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

as bad as i hate finesse fishing i am going to have to agree with MB. a finesse jig in a natural color and a super chunk trailer might be a good idea too.
Old 02-26-09, 03:21 PM   #5
aikenyounggun

throw a jig.... or a shaky head..... or if that dont pan out go with a good ole wacky rig
Old 02-26-09, 03:35 PM   #6
Bassboss

Try throwing a small, 1/4 oz white spinner bait with double willows! You could also try a small crank.

But like every one else said,try going finesse! drop shot, shaky head, wacky worm.
Old 02-26-09, 06:17 PM   #7
bamabassman

first...turn the pics right side up,lmao. i got a crick in my neck,lmao. i too go with my brothar mb.
Old 02-26-09, 07:41 PM   #8
bingham
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Try throwing a small, 1/4 oz white spinner bait with double willows! You could also try a small crank.

But like every one else said,try going finesse! drop shot, shaky head, wacky worm.
im gonna have to disagree with the spinner bait. if the lake is that clear it wont do you any good. i also think finesse, small crank, or even a trick worm. you may also have to use lighter line or flourocarbon. good luck!
bingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-09, 08:15 PM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingham View Post
im gonna have to disagree with the spinner bait. if the lake is that clear it wont do you any good. i also think finesse, small crank, or even a trick worm. you may also have to use lighter line or flourocarbon. good luck!
I got it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	3230   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	3231  
Old 02-26-09, 09:42 PM   #10
WTL

The heavier the current, the less skittish they will be even though water is clear. Thats why you got a bite throwing over the dam. Current adds turbidity and bubbles which reduce visibility and it makes gamefish have to make up their mind quickly, that is why current is so crucial to angling.

If its anything like my smallie streams, a 4 inch white senko will be effective. Just gotta learn to read the water - and my water has plenty of current breaks, boulders, rocks, washed out banks, shoots, riffles, runs and pools with deep water.
Old 02-26-09, 09:56 PM   #11
The Doc

a small craw like a paca craw, something around 3-4 inches, I like ones with hollow bellies so I can put pop rocks or a rattle in em. (Yes, pop rocks, I'm not kidding, it works!) use a flat brown or flat green color, something with no flash (like an orange belly) on it. try to make it as flat or matte for a lack of better description as possible. I'd fish it on a split shot rig with the split shot about 18" away from the hook.
Old 02-27-09, 12:18 AM   #12
CCbass

I agree with the current idea, if your fishing the lower side use the current, most likely the bass use it to. Try to look for possible forage, minnows, ect. then do what the trouters do, match the hatch with a similar size and color plastic. Creeks here in CA. will usually have stickle back minnows in them and almost always crayfish, and its possible to have native trout.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-09, 12:32 AM   #13
CCbass

Sorry for the second post but I just thought of something, did you see any California newts in the water. In the spring they migrate to creeks and hang out in pools to spawn. I have never had a chance to fish a creek that had bass in it but if it did I am sure they would eat them. They are a medium brown on top and orange/yellow on the bottom, might be an idea for color or to try small lizard plastics.
Old 02-27-09, 01:07 AM   #14
cassidyta

I didn't see any newts but there are so many crawdads at spots that they change the color of the water. I have seen some of the newts in a few of the creeks further up stream but none down by the dam. I went back this afternoon and focused on smaller parts of the creeks. I was tossing 4 inch robo worms in the heavy current a few feet above the deeper pools. (Seen in the first pic). I will never break Geroge Perry's mark in there but it is a blast. I ended up with two fish caught that might have weighed 1 lbs combined. I am going to head back out tomorrow or saturday with my ultralight rig and some of my trout jigs.
Old 02-27-09, 04:55 AM   #15
CCbass

Do you know how these bass ended up in this creek? It is not normal for bass to be in a creek like this unless the creek is feeding from a lerger lake. If so what is that lakes major food source, might be a futher clue as to what they want, or would prefer as far as a meal.
Old 02-27-09, 09:33 AM   #16
bamabassman

ok...i am curious cbass for real. what is a newt? never heard or seen one. got a pic? are ther newts in all lakes? if so if i see a pic it would help me identify one. might get a bait that looks like one, hehehehe. that'll surprise em huh?
Old 02-27-09, 11:15 AM   #17
Nitro 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
ok...i am curious cbass for real. what is a newt? never heard or seen one. got a pic? are ther newts in all lakes? if so if i see a pic it would help me identify one. might get a bait that looks like one, hehehehe. that'll surprise em huh?
A newt is a salamander that lives in the water as an adult. Newts occur in the Pleurodelinae subfamily (family Salamandridae), found in North America, Europe and Asia. Newts metamorphose through three distinct developmental life stages, including aquatic larval, terrestrial juvenile, and aquatic adult. Some Ambystomatidae salamanders forgo metamorphosis and retain their aquatic juvenile form with gills, but they are not newts, they are neotines (Neoteny). The larvae leave the water as a terrestrial juvenile form called an eft[1]. The adult form has a lizard-like body and is either aquatic or semi-aquatic.

Nitro 640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-09, 11:19 AM   #18
bamabassman

well thank you nitro. never heard it called a newt,lol. guess us southern boys learn something new each day. thank you. oh yea we used to hook live ones as a kid. man they hate being stabbed with a big ol worm hook, lmao. they wiggle and flop in the water alot.....then BAM!! i just might haveta try that again someday. like live craws, fish can't stand it, eat em up.
Old 02-28-09, 02:29 AM   #19
CCbass

To my knowlegde a newt and a salamander are different in the fact a salamander reproduces on land although needing a moist environment. Newts have to reproduce in water, like a frog, and live the rest of the time on land, at least the California newt. To be generic, think the term is waterdog for those that spend the entire time in an acquatic environment.
Old 02-28-09, 02:42 AM   #20
bamabassman

REALLY? now that is something i didn't know. interesting. so that is what they call a waterdog. ok... again, i learn something new. dang if i keep this up i just might get some smarts after all. so do you hook it like say.......a soft plastic lizard? or how would ya hook it?
Old 02-28-09, 02:49 AM   #21
CCbass

If you mean how do you hook a live waterdog I can't say, I'm sure someone on here knows. I have not fished live bait for bass since around 1983.
Old 02-28-09, 04:18 PM   #22
Jim80

In all the rocks i would start with a football head jig prob a 1/4 oz with a craw like trailer , and give a shaky head worm a shot . if the water is that clear def go with fluorocarbon line . Just my opinion .

Jim
Old 02-28-09, 04:43 PM   #23
cassidyta

I ended up going with a flyrod. I scaled down to the trout sized power worms. It was a blast.

CC, as far as the bass in the creeks, we have had them there since the floods about 4 years ago. Again they are not large, but they are fun to catch since I feel i really have to fool them. The best has been to let a small jig or worm float down the current.
Old 03-01-09, 12:00 AM   #24
Nitro 640

Hey, if you are getting some to bite keep up with the same lures and wait for a day with some wind to help them not see so much.
Good luck.
Nitro 640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 02:16 AM   #25
CCbass

Yes nature, so fun, providing us fun with a species that can adapt to areas it should not be.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.