Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-05, 11:53 AM   #1
NJRapala46
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rattling and Grunting for big bucks

Question on deer hunting. Lately I have seen more bucks in my area then i ave ever seen before. Now, i dont just mean a few spikes, some nice 6 points, and a few 8 pointers. There are two 12 pointers, at least two 10's, a crap load of 8's, and then there is this 4 pointer running around, and he is the biggest 4 pointer I've ever seen. I havn't seen one deer this year, thats not a wallhanger, and the thing is, i know they're different deer, because they travel together.

Now, i think, that since all these bucks are here, why not try rattling and grunting to get them in bow range. Great!, thing is, i have never done this, so can anyone give me anything that will help me out? thanks guys, much appreciated
NJRapala46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-05, 06:27 PM   #2
southernsnatcher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

well i have never been much on rattlin and gruntin..of course i have never been much of a bow hunter either...lol...but it is my understanding that in the early season they are not going to be as prone to answering your grunts, due to the fact that they are not as aggressive as they are during full rut...so it may be harder to get them to come in..my advice would be to start early and map their usual routes and maybe set up on one of their more traveled paths until late in the season...just my 2 cents....
southernsnatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-05, 06:34 PM   #3
Dyas
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

I dont do any grunting or rattling either but what I do is find their route to their feeding source. I setup an ambush point with a tree stand or climber. I spray cover scent around the stand and wait. When one comes in range of my bow that is worth shooting I aim and fire................
Old 08-22-05, 07:15 AM   #4
PowerBass

I have found the PRIMOS can to work the best for early season. Either the Lil CAN or Original CAN. Then come the first week of november, you tick the antlers every once in a while. Grunting cam be accomplished 2 ways, blind grunting, which is when ya grunt when you dont see anything, or Sight Grunting, which is when you see one and want to turn his head towards ya. This is a dynomite technique during the bow season, when they are out of range. I would blind call with the can also. The grunt is an aggresive call, while the CAN is a non aggresive everyday way of communication. It will bring in alot does early season. But it will also bring ya in some nice bucks. But in the end it is up to you and what works for you. Basically the more time ya put in the stand/blind/stalking/ or whatever will pay off. Good Lick this season.
Old 08-22-05, 09:50 PM   #5
pig n jig

Where is JackL, when you have got a title like this begging to be sent in another direction than its meant to be. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-05, 11:24 PM   #6
NJRapala46
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the help guys. Already, this stuff is leading me in the direction i should be looking. thanks. And anyone who can help. im all ears

pig n jig how can this one be sent in another direction?
Old 08-24-05, 12:33 AM   #7
fishing_sniper

i would say jus be quite and unseen this has worked for me ive been huntin since i was bout 6 and bow huntin since i was bout 12 or so if ur in open country i can see ur point in using it but if ur like me and in timber theres jus to many ways to slip up onna deer easier than that just me though
Old 08-24-05, 08:14 PM   #8
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

Southernsnatcher is right. This early bucks wont respond to a grunt or rattle in a manner in which you would like. They are smart and when they know something isn't right (like gruntin/rattlin out of season) you might ruin that spot for future use. Wait till late fall and they start chasing tail, grunt'em up and sling some arrows.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-05, 08:19 PM   #9
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

I like the lil' can............... It wirked for me last year
Old 08-25-05, 01:44 PM   #10
NJRapala46
BassFishin.Com Member

i know guys. im already getting for the rut. happens about halloween here, but i wanna be ready and start practcing now. (not in the woods of course)
Old 08-25-05, 06:48 PM   #11
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i used to bow hunt alot growing up and kept doing it down here but down here in nc the deer are a tad spooky and very hard to get. even over bait piles not to mention the temp is 90+ during bow season -starts sept 1st so after i nailed this one i retired with my trophy..oh yeah sorry bout the blood

zooker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bang nice one.jpg (96.4 KB, 395 views)

Last edited by zooker; 08-25-05 at 08:02 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-05, 07:27 PM   #12
lizardsrule

zooker,

Now that is a sweet looking deer buddy. It looks like a good typical. I actually dislike the non-typical, just looks to freakish to me.

Lizards
Old 08-25-05, 08:01 PM   #13
zooker

how i actually hit that buck i do not know i had buckfever so bad i was waiting for the arrow to come off the rest.. shot it at 8 yards

zooker
Old 08-25-05, 10:11 PM   #14
southernsnatcher

im gettin buck fever just lookin at it...i cant wait to get back and put one in the freezer....nice deer
southernsnatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-05, 11:27 PM   #15
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

NIce deer, how many points i see at least 9.
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-05, 04:47 AM   #16
zooker

10 which is and oddity for this area 95% of all bucks in nc are 8's which is strange enough. he only weighed 145 live weight..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.