Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-07, 04:36 PM   #1
ESipes_89
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to ESipes_89
Question Fishing After The Rain?

Hi,

I'm looking for some quick answers because I'm planning on going fishing tonight after the rain stops. I've never had much luck fishing after the rain and am wondering what I could use and how I should fish it.

Thanks,
-Eric
Old 08-17-07, 04:57 PM   #2
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

The advantage of fishing after rain really only applies during this time of year when its extremely hot outside. The rain will cool off the water and thus the bass will be shallower. So I would say fish shallow water, overhanging trees/limbs [as the rain will wash bugs and what not into the water] and areas of shore runoff where worms and other insects will get washed into the water from the rain. I'd wacky rig a tiki stik under trees, and fish a cranks parallel to the shore in about 4-5 feet of water [or shallower]. If that fails go deeper and see whats going on.
Old 08-17-07, 05:30 PM   #3
Kawabuggy
BassFishin.Com Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but if it is raining there is a good chance that the water will be cloudy or muddy due to run-off. If that is the case, would it not be best to run something bright in color (chartreuse/white), and also something that makes noise? I too am going fishing immediately after work today and from reading on this site, I have learned to go lighter on color in stained/muddy water, and also to use a bait that makes some noise so the fish can find it.

It is flash flooding in Houston right now. I have standing water 6" deep across my parking lot outside.
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 05:43 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You are correct, Kawabuggy. Noise and vibration in muddy water. At least you are getting out. Flyrod called me about 11 this morning and said three words: "We are scrubbed". The lake we were going to fish is closed due to high water, and so are the ramps at the other local lakes.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to close a lake due to high water-low water, sure,but not high water-but this is the government we are dealing with here.
Old 08-17-07, 05:45 PM   #5
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

I only fish after rain if its a short afternoon shower, not a few days of rain like we just had... it murks up the water and brings in a bunch of trash, and the fish dissapear. Spinnerbaits work well after rain, though.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 06:18 PM   #6
lizardsrule

Rain will not automatically make a body of water muddy. Many times there are places where the water runs in from due to heavier rain, drainage ditches, culvets, etc... And these areas can spread the muddy water. Also remember that the rain usually will increase the O2 content which can also be a good thing. Any topwater "CAN" be good, but if the water is rising hit the banks, if the water is falling back off from the banks. Depending on the fish, anything can work.

Lizards
Old 08-17-07, 06:19 PM   #7
bassfisher02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawabuggy View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but if it is raining there is a good chance that the water will be cloudy or muddy due to run-off. If that is the case, would it not be best to run something bright in color (chartreuse/white), and also something that makes noise? I too am going fishing immediately after work today and from reading on this site, I have learned to go lighter on color in stained/muddy water, and also to use a bait that makes some noise so the fish can find it.

It is flash flooding in Houston right now. I have standing water 6" deep across my parking lot outside.
Correct, thats why a crankbait will be good, not only will it simulate baitfish in shallow water feeding on the insects from run-off but also many crankbaits have rattles in them, so that covers noise. The tiki stik is always good no matter what conditions.
Old 08-17-07, 10:19 PM   #8
basschamp4

i have heard a couple of times the barometric pressure dropping affects the fishes aggresion or attitude
Old 08-17-07, 10:26 PM   #9
bassfisher02

Thats more related to cold fronts.
Old 08-17-07, 10:30 PM   #10
ESipes_89

Unhappy

After the light shower we left for the lake. We ended up trying everything we had to throw out there and still got skunked, other than one bullhead catfish that was caught on a chartruese grub (not caught by me I might add). The fish just were not biting. I thought just like most of you that bright colors and lots of noise around overhanging trees and cat-tails would do the trick, but not even a nibble for 3 1/2 hours. I tried everything I could think of.

Any other suggestions, cause we have more rain coming in for the weekend. I might even try during the rain, what about that?

Thanks,
-Eric
Old 08-18-07, 07:57 PM   #11
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESipes_89 View Post
After the light shower we left for the lake. We ended up trying everything we had to throw out there and still got skunked, other than one bullhead catfish that was caught on a chartruese grub (not caught by me I might add). The fish just were not biting. I thought just like most of you that bright colors and lots of noise around overhanging trees and cat-tails would do the trick, but not even a nibble for 3 1/2 hours. I tried everything I could think of.

Any other suggestions, cause we have more rain coming in for the weekend. I might even try during the rain, what about that?

Thanks,
-Eric
Cast a weightless t-rigged lizard into some heavy cover, black or greenpumpkin. Let it sit for 10 seconds then twitch it 2 times and pause. Continue this retrieve till the bait is back at your feet. Bright colors are not always the answer. Noise is not always the answer. You must find out from the fish what they want.

As for the barometer, it does have a effect more on landbound fish, than tidal fish. When the barometer is low or falling this is good. When the barometer is high or rising this is a bad thing. Remember during, and proceeding the rain, the barometer will usually be falling and low. After the rain it starts to rise, so you decide

Lizards
Old 08-18-07, 10:05 PM   #12
FlyRod

Exclamation

While we are all interested in post-rain tactics that might result in good catches there's another matter with which we should all be concerned after heavy rains, especially those that fell over a prolonged period. This would be the safety issues, for both bank fishermen and boaters, that result from such precipitation.
On the boating side, we must always remember that most lakes are stream/river fed. When there is an influx of water from these sources, there are new hazards introduced into the lakes, in the form of floating trees, logs, and other objects. This can even include the floating carcasses of unfortunate deer, cattle, hogs, sheep, etc. Boaters must be on the alert, PFDs worn, kill-switches attached, and exercising restraint on the throttle.
Remember too that the stumps and rocks that were plainly visible at previous lake levels may now be lurking immediately subsurface, ready to gore a hull, destroy a skeg or propeller, even rip an engine off the transom.
On the bankfishing side, remember that even a slightly sloped bank can be a slippery booby trap that could cause you, a partner, or family member to wind up in the water. This is especially bad if there is current involved. Again, PFDs, though only bankfishing, should be worn.
Now, we all love dem lil' snakes, bless their scaly hearts, but remember that high water will often drive them into places where they otherwise might not be. An unwary bankfisherman, a boater passing beneath low-hanging tree or ledge, may be in for a very unpleasant surprise. Even if a snake, suddenly encountered, does you no harm, he might damned well make you harm yourself.
Whereas you once stood on barren bank, with no concealment for possibly dangerous critters, high water may dictate that you are ankle-to-arse deep in vegetation. Ol' Snavely may be alurk therein. He intends no harm but he can't be sure that you don't, soooooo...

Kindly Uncle Fly
Safety Advisor
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 11:03 PM   #13
basschamp4

i stepped on a snake without seeing it once it scared the u know what out of me
Old 08-19-07, 12:08 PM   #14
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschamp4 View Post
i stepped on a snake without seeing it once it scared the u know what out of me
And squeezed the same substance outta him, no doubt!

Beau A. Constrictor
Hangin' at the Herpetarium
Old 08-20-07, 04:14 PM   #15
Hoyle27
BassFishin.Com Member

I've Got A Snake Man!!!!!
Old 08-21-07, 11:21 AM   #16
Snake2715

Thanks for the posts. I am heading up north to get some fishing in on Friday and its been raining lightly for days. I assume I will get skunked... anything above that and I am going to be happy.
Old 08-21-07, 07:17 PM   #17
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake2715 View Post
Thanks for the posts. I am heading up north to get some fishing in on Friday and its been raining lightly for days. I assume I will get skunked... anything above that and I am going to be happy.
Rain will NOT prevent you from catching fish. Hell, they are already wet! What do they care if YOU are? In fact, the overcast and surface disturbance of the rain will likely help the fishing.
BUT...LIGHTNING KILLS!

Be safe, chum.

FR
Old 08-22-07, 04:09 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

It's been raining here for about 4 days straight, first day its been sunny, I'm going fishing after I'm done on here. My ponds is up about a foot, and that a lot for my pond. The water had definetly cooled down, but the forcast is about o week of 90+ weather. all of NW ohio is under a flood watch, and I Can't wait to go fishing in the reserviors we fish.
Old 08-24-07, 11:15 AM   #19
thebus71h

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher02 View Post
Thats more related to cold fronts.
It's related to cold fronts, but when the front comes in, it's the barametric pressure. Same with a warm front that moves in.

I have talked to many people on this very exact subject. I was always under the pretence that if there was a cold front coming through, the fish wouldn't bite. Which is somewhat true, AFTER the coldfront comes through. I've been taking a barometer with us when ever we go fishing, and writing it in a log book. Now lately, when we've caught the most fish, has been when the barometer was either rising or falling. From talking to a few fish dealers (fish tank stuff, but same theories), there is something in the fish that when the pressure rises, or falls, it's time to feed. I really do not know why, and they could not tell me an answer to it, so I used that theory and ran with it.

When the pressure is falling or rising, the fish will bite more than when it is high pressure, low pressure, or holding in the middle. There is something about the pressure change that makes them move, and strike.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-07, 10:37 PM   #20
sayn3ver
BassFishin.Com Member

It has to be the Delta...the change? Actual pressure is probably irrelavent but the change in pressureis the thing that is being decected as it is probably a comparison made by the sensory organ, much like contrast is in the human eye. Change in pressures must be like a flag saying the weather is changing which may cause new food to be found? I dunno, but I keep planted aquariums as a hobby as well, but my fish, particularly my dwarf pufferfish seem hungry 24/7 regardless of barometric pressure.
sayn3ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-07, 07:50 AM   #21
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
Rain will not automatically make a body of water muddy. Many times there are places where the water runs in from due to heavier rain, drainage ditches, culvets, etc... And these areas can spread the muddy water. Also remember that the rain usually will increase the O2 content which can also be a good thing. Any topwater "CAN" be good, but if the water is rising hit the banks, if the water is falling back off from the banks. Depending on the fish, anything can work.

Lizards
\\How true my friend. I have found areas that had runoff after a rainand it was like fishing in a bath tub./ The bass where waiting and willing to hit ESPECIALLY throwing worms where the runoff is occuring. Ifn I cant find any runoff I uisusally break out the search bait (spinner bait) and go to work. Before during and for awhile after the barometric pressure has dropped and with the added cooling of the surface water the bass alot of the time....not always though..........will become very active and chase a lure.
Old 08-26-07, 08:12 AM   #22
Mac10

A lot of information on this thread. Thanks and Good Fishing, Mac

Several summers ago, on a small Michigan lake, a summer storm passed through, much wind, a lot of lightening and very loud thunder. After it passed, one of the fellows from Kentucky rowed his boat out and caught the summer's largest bass......brown plastic worm fished weightless, near weeds.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 12:37 AM   #23
ESipes_89

After some expirementation, I think I've figured out what works best for me. I use a Scum Frog Popper and work over a large area of weeds. I work it just as I would if I were using it in open water. This method usually produces a lot of bass. The only thing I have to figure out now is how to keep all the fish on. They like to run into the weeds and get loose. I'm not sure how they're doin' it but this is the most common scenario.

Yes, I am setting the hook. I count to 3, set the hook, and start feeling the fish fight. After a 5 or so second fight I just feel the steady pull of 3lbs. of weeds. I have sharpened the hooks and tried a harder set, but they still keep getting off.

If anyone uses this advice, always use 30lb. or stronger braided line. If you don't you will not only lose the fish but you'll get tangled in the weeds and lose your lure too.

-Eric
Old 08-30-07, 12:14 PM   #24
skeeter944

I like fishing after the rain, my favorite lure is a spinnerbait or a buzzbait, something that covers lots of water and gets a reaction strike.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.