Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-09, 11:24 AM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Vick goes to Philly

Now, let me start by sayin that I'm a dog lover and we have always had dogs in our family so maybe that makes me a little biased. I just don't understand how any team in the NFL would pick this guy up, I think it's a very poor decision for the Eagles and am anxious to see the negative impact. I am not an advocate for PETA, I own several firearms, hunt regularly and understand that dogs are animals. However, there is something called "ethical behavior". I don't find anything entertaining about dog fighting or cruelty to any animal.

The first big hit that Vick takes in the NFL, I'm going straight out and buying that player's jersey.
Old 08-14-09, 11:52 AM   #2
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Because the eagles think he will be a useful weapon. And if he is what he was 2 years ago, he would be. A strong armed QB (with mediocre accuracy) who is always a threat to run. They figured itd be worth it. cheap contract, short term, almost no commitment.
That said, i guess this is just a matter of Vick's upbringing. He was raised thinking this was normal. is it right? hell no. But players done worse. Stallworth killed a human being (albeit drunk... but are you going to tell me that driving drunk is a good idea? or he couldnt afford a cab?) and not nearly as big of a fuss was made.
Vick served his time and paid for his mistake. An incident like this should not completely ruin his career and life
Old 08-14-09, 12:02 PM   #3
doc

Meh, dont go all peta on me for saying this, fighting dogs is wrong.

BUT THEIR ONLY DOGS, not worthy of a prison sentence, especally when you concider drug dealers and some pedophiles get less of a sentence.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 12:08 PM   #4
aikenyounggun

this is my opinion: im a dog lover (have 3) and what he did was TOTALLY wrong and he deserved what he got

BUT doesnt everyone deserve a 2nd chance? arent we suppossed to forgive people? he made some bad decisions, now lets see how he acts and see if he has cleaned up his act

and i know some philly fans are pissed, and rightfully so, but he could be a nice pick up for the team as long as he doesnt stir up more trouble for himself and the organization
Old 08-14-09, 12:18 PM   #5
Jim80

I am going to go against the grain on this one , the pit bull breed was breed for the purpose of fighting and for many years that was all they were used for is it right , no . But it is also not worthy of a prison sentence , the guy made a mistake and got caught , he did his time and now it is time for everyone else to get over it and let him get on with his life . BTW I am a pit bull enthusiast .

Jim
Old 08-14-09, 12:21 PM   #6
crankybait

Quite honestly... I'd be more concerned with his play that the whole public appearance of it all. If Vick doesn't have Vick speed and moves, then he is essentially worthless because many QBs are better from a throwing point of view. If this was Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, they would have been picked up much sooner.
Old 08-14-09, 12:55 PM   #7
WaffleJaw

i think it the mentality of the person that bothers me.....I mean its gotta take some angry aggression to raise dogs like that...that aint normal ,im sorry...
if your that cruel to animals,then whats to stop you from treating people like that?....where do your morals begin and end?.......do i think it deserves jail time?....absolutely!......if stoners are gonna to jail for pot,then why should dogfighting be excused?......at least the stoner will pass the joint ....................and not kill your dog and take your money....but what do i know?

I think we should breed pugs for fighting!!!....that way, no dogs get hurt and everyone gets a good laugh (the world needs more laughter)
it would be the most adorable gambling racket ever!!!

Old 08-14-09, 01:23 PM   #8
cassidyta

I doubt that they will really look at him as a quarterback. I suspect that we will see him in wildcat formations or as a motion receiver who can take the snap for an option.

Now onto the morality issue of this event. I am not really one fo those who says that everyone deserves a second chance. I doubt that there are too many of us on here who could have committed a major crime and counted on only being suspended from our jobs. I am confident that just about any conviction would end my current career.
Old 08-14-09, 01:45 PM   #9
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

My 2cents.He did his time.I hoped he learned his lesson.Personally,I doubt it.I think the next time he screws up it will be a really big one.You don't need a crystal ball to see that coming.
I can't stand the Eagles anyway.They cost me too much money in the football pool.
Old 08-14-09, 01:45 PM   #10
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post

BUT THEIR ONLY DOGS, not worthy of a prison sentence, especally when you concider drug dealers and some pedophiles get less of a sentence.
My dogs are part of my family--no they are not just dogs. They're mans best friend.
Old 08-14-09, 02:01 PM   #11
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
My dogs are part of my family--no they are not just dogs. They're mans best friend.
I have a dog that thinks he's human also, but at the end of the day he still has four legs and barks. He is an animal, we have alot of other **** to worry about than who kills a dog.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 02:33 PM   #12
WaffleJaw

Quote:
I have a dog that thinks he's human also, but at the end of the day he still has four legs and barks. He is an animal, we have alot of other **** to worry about than who kills a dog.
so if someone kills YOUR dog,would you not want justice?...or do you just shrug your shoulders and say ''oh well''?
and besides....were all animals...just because were the smartest doesnt mean were excused from our primal instincts
Old 08-14-09, 02:37 PM   #13
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:

I cant say much right now because I would probably get completely banned from the board but if you think you dog is just something that has four legs and barks, you shouldnt have a dog. I think he got what he deserved and I think that he deserves a second shot but I wont pull for him but thats me. Now I will not comment on this again myself as I would be affraid of losing my temper and saying things that should be on the board.
Old 08-14-09, 03:50 PM   #14
rodman rat

Ok I stay out of most of these......but I have to add my.02 as well. Vicks did not just fight dogs. He brutally killed them! He did not kill them humanly! He has done his time and we all do get a second chance he should get his as well…. But NFL players are our kids hero’s and role models with that said would any of you want your son looking up to THIS guy?? I think Waffle has it right when he said it is about what KIND of person can do this (not a normal one).
So I think he got what he deserved! I do not think he should be allowed to play ball or be in the public eye any more!
rodman rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 04:20 PM   #15
Bill M

OK, like dogs myself, but...a big one at that, its still falls on up-bringing, Rooster(coc) fighting is huge to the Spanish community and in Vicks world so is Pit-Bull fighting, heck I can go up north and pay to see it if I choose, its around all of us, you just dont see it.And I dont think he learned his lesson either.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 04:41 PM   #16
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
OK, like dogs myself, but...a big one at that, its still Rooster(coc) fighting is huge to the Spanish community and in Vicks world so is Pit-Bull fighting,

The same around me , I grew up with both being part of the landscape so to say . Now i understand there are a lot of dog lovers out there and I and my wife and my children have owned pit bulls and will own them again , but as a youth I attended both dog & rooster fights , as an adult I would not simply because my views on a lot of things in life have changed . That said, the pit bull breed came into being for the purpose of being a fighting dog it is in their blood , ask anyone who has owned multiple adult pit bulls about it , you can't leave them in the same room as other animals at an older age because their aggression starts to get out of control and the dogs fighting on their own is also very common . Does that make dog fighting right No it does not and it certainly does not justify killing dogs that could did not preform . But the issue of him doing this has been dealt with and he has been punished and has lost millions of dollars, all of which he deserved , but at this time the issue is dead .

jim
Old 08-14-09, 05:38 PM   #17
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Okay...time for an argument straight out of Ethics 101.

I am not a proponent of Animal Rights. I believe animals have no rights. This is mostly because they can not engage in Social Contracts.

For example, you and I can agree that personal property is not to be taken or damaged by someone else. If you steal my car, I am justified in seeing that you are punished because you broke our agreement. If my dog chews up my shoe, it's annoying, but he's not liable in a moral sense. We had no "agreement" he was not to chew on my shoes. I might give him a scolding, or an occasional smack, but he's not a bad guy for having done it. He's not evil. He's just a dog.

You can see this provides animals with some freedom from retaliation for the things they do. They're just dumb animals. If a pit bull gets loose and mauls some three year old kid to death. I don't hate the pit bull. I might call for it to be destroyed, but only for public safety, not because I have any anger towards the dog. This brings me to my main point. In the case of the wild pit bull, I blame the human owner. The owner let the dog down by bredding/training him to do things like that, and the owner is the cause for the dog's necessary death.

Since animals don't have any rights, it is up to us to be held responsible for their care and what they do. Animals' best outcomes result from them being considered precious property, not equals. One can tell a lot about a person by how he treats the innocent, animals being counted among them. What Michael Vick did and/or allowed to be done to those dogs was terrible. He was a bad person, and he got what he deserved in my book. He violated public standards of animal treatment.

That being said, the guy paid his price, served his term with nary a protest. By all accounts, he was a model prisoner. I think he actually "got it" after he got busted. I bet he did some long, hard thinking about how a gifted, successful athlete ends up in prison. I would like to think he learned his lesson, and I, for one, will give him that second chance. If Jesus could sit and break bread with a former prostitute, I think I can cut some slack to a guy who hurt some dogs once.

By the way, I'm not a big football fan at all, so I'm not biased on this.
Old 08-14-09, 06:58 PM   #18
DonaldBreland

Because God forgives and so should we. He made a mistake. He done his time. I do not think we as a society should hammer him down for what he has done. He did the punishment for the crime he did and his slate should be clean.
Now back to us. Are we perfect? NO. Do you expect to be forgiven by your wife when you argue about something and she is right? YES. I know you didn't kill dogs or use them for fighting and believe me that's wrong. But if you took his childhood dream away for a mistake he made then what hope should kids have if they make a mistake in life. Just because we mess up doesn't mean we cant fix things. Just my honest opinion.
By the way. I am a dog lover as well.
Old 08-14-09, 07:06 PM   #19
1/4 stick

I love animals myself. Even the ones I hunt and fish for. I've had dogs and cats, and I've loved them as if they were family memebers. What he did was a disgrace and it deserved jail time. More than what he got in my opinion, but that's not for me to decide. That's up to the justice system and between him and God.

That said...

He has done what or courts has told him to. Child molestors get less than what he got after destroying multible lives. Atleast he didn't go the "My Mama didn't love me. I have mental problems." route. He owned up to it and admited for whatever reasons he did it, whether it be the culture he was raised in or whatever, he owned it and served what the judge told him to. I think he deserves a second chance if someone is willing to give it to him. If he get's in trouble again, then kick him to the curb. Remember, a lot of people think that what we do as anglers, jamming a hook into a creatures mouth and dragging him from his home by the mouth is just as cruel as what he did.
Old 08-14-09, 07:11 PM   #20
DonaldBreland

BassinBandit if your that mad at this then somethings wrong. It says in the Bible to forgive. It doesn't say you have to trust him. You can slowly start trusting again.
AGAIN I SAY. I think he deserves a second chance. God give you chances when you make mistakes. He would be a perfect role model if he does right. Why do I say that. Because what if there is some kid out there that has totally messed his life up by being on drugs. If society just called him a druggie he would have no hope to do better. But if society said hey we Love you and forgive you then that man just might change his life.
I don't know about you but I'm here on earth to help spread the Love of My glorious Father God.
Old 08-14-09, 07:18 PM   #21
crankybait

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
Remember, a lot of people think that what we do as anglers, jamming a hook into a creatures mouth and dragging him from his home by the mouth is just as cruel as what he did.
Very good point... wonder why i never thought of that
Old 08-14-09, 07:33 PM   #22
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
Very good point... wonder why i never thought of that
Thank you. Actually I used to dream about doing that to a boss I used to have. Takes a bit of a twisted mind to think that stuff up.
Old 08-14-09, 09:24 PM   #23
bcklash

Quote:

This is what Bassinbandit is upset about "but there only dogs".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBreland View Post
BassinBandit if your that mad at this then somethings wrong. It says in the Bible to forgive. It doesn't say you have to trust him. You can slowly start trusting again.
AGAIN I SAY. I think he deserves a second chance. God give you chances when you make mistakes. He would be a perfect role model if he does right. Why do I say that. Because what if there is some kid out there that has totally messed his life up by being on drugs. If society just called him a druggie he would have no hope to do better. But if society said hey we Love you and forgive you then that man just might change his life.
I don't know about you but I'm here on earth to help spread the Love of My glorious Father God.
He agrees with you on most points. He never has pulled for Vick and only lives 15 minutes from Va Tech. He's just upset about Docs 1st post.
Old 08-14-09, 10:21 PM   #24
DonaldBreland

I see said the blind man. Sorry Bassin.
Old 08-15-09, 07:09 AM   #25
woody

Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble. But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness; he does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded him.

1 John 2:9-11 NIV
woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.