Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-09, 09:07 PM   #51
DonaldBreland

I apologized to everyone fo rsome strong comments. I too think this one should be locked.
Old 08-17-09, 09:15 PM   #52
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Naw...don't lock it. I think it has reached somewhat of a cease-fire if not a truce. People disagree sometimes (usually with me ) an they just need to get it out in the open. I agree it did get a teeny bit too personal there at the end, but they're grown-ups...they'll get over it. Both of them said they weren't gonna say any more about it. So let's just hold them to that haha.

If either of them brings it up again...DOGPILE!!! heheh

Donald is a nice guy, and an honest guy, but just needs to understand that even many of us who go to church don't come to this site for a big sermon. I'm sure most of us are more than cool with him being a deeply religious person, and don't mind talking about it in passing, or even in depth once in a while, just not every thread. He wouldn't want me coming to his church and talking about bass fishing during every service, would he?

Mallen, for his part, is super witty and it's always fun to read his posts. But he does have a hot temper (I think we know his personality pretty good by now?), and by golly, if you jerk his chain, or even worse, fail to see you jerked his chain about twenty times, he's gonna bark at you. But, the guy appreciates the finer things in life, like Bob Griese's amazing career, so I just can't dislike him.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. Michael Vick...perfect angel or Anti-christ? hehehe, don't answer that.
Old 08-17-09, 09:24 PM   #53
1/4 stick
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Naw...don't lock it. I think it has reached somewhat of a cease-fire if not a truce. People disagree sometimes (usually with me ) an they just need to get it out in the open. I agree it did get a teeny bit too personal there at the end, but they're grown-ups...they'll get over it. Both of them said they weren't gonna say any more about it. So let's just hold them to that haha.

Donald is a nice guy, and an honest guy, but just needs to understand that even many of us who go to church don't come to this site for a big sermon. I'm sure most of us are more than cool with him being a deeply religious person, and don't mind talking about it in passing, or even in depth once in a while, just not every thread. He wouldn't want me coming to his church and talking about bass fishing during every service, would he?

Mallen, for his part, is super witty and it's always fun to read his posts. But he does have a hot temper (I think we know his personality pretty good by now?), and by golly, if you jerk his chain, or even worse, fail to see you jerked his chain about twenty times, he's gonna bark at you. But, the guy appreciates the finer things in life, like Bob Griese's amazing career, so I just can't dislike him.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. Michael Vick...perfect angel or Anti-christ? hehehe, don't answer that.
Believe it or not I agree with you.

It really doesn't matter if Vick plays or not anyway. The Cowboys are going to win the Superbowl so he is irrelivent.
(A fella can dream can't he?)
Old 08-17-09, 09:27 PM   #54
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post

It really doesn't matter if Vick plays or not anyway. The Cowboys are going to win the Superbowl so he is irrelivent.
OF COURSE you agree with me!!! I'm the SITE HERO!!!

Man...I'm not that into football anymore (I was a diehard Dolphins fan for many years, that should explain the "no longer a fan" thing ), but I just can't like a team arrogant enough to proclaim itself "America's Team."

P.S. I know you still have nightmares on Thanksgiving...."Leon Lett?!?! No!!!!!"
Old 08-17-09, 09:42 PM   #55
DonaldBreland

I newly born again. I am sorry for the sermons lol. I am very excited for my future and sometimes forget what a christian is about. I shouldn't have acted the way I did and should have not posted past the point of where it became an argument. I pmed him and asked for his forgiveness but he hasn't pmed me back yet. I will move on and hope you guys continue reading my posts. I promise I wont try and preach any more lol.
Old 08-17-09, 09:44 PM   #56
1/4 stick

Quote:
OF COURSE you agree with me!!! I'm the SITE HERO!!!

Man...I'm not that into football anymore (I was a diehard Dolphins fan for many years, that should explain the "no longer a fan" thing ), but I just can't like a team arrogant enough to proclaim itself "America's Team."

P.S. I know you still have nightmares on Thanksgiving...."Leon Lett?!?! No!!!!!"
lol we don't speak of that dark day around here. I would of had won $300 if not for that clown!

I've never followed football much. Just not a sports fan. Used to love to play, but never could sit and watch a game. I just liked their cheerleaders when I was growing up so they've been who I always pull for.
Old 08-17-09, 09:47 PM   #57
nofearengineer

Okay...we can agree on their cheerleaders. Man, my older brother had that first Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders poster on the wall of his bedroom. Right next to his Farrah Fawcett bikini poster. Man...his room was soooo cool.
Old 08-17-09, 10:04 PM   #58
MississippiBoy

Quote:

Mallen.........by golly, if you jerk his chain, or even worse, fail to see you jerked his chain about twenty times, he's gonna bark at you.
Were the dog references intentional, or are you just lucky? That reminds me of a Jeff Dunham joke...his buddy Walter says that once you get married, you can look at the pretty women as much as you want, but all you can do is run to the end of your chain and bark.

I agree, this discussion got way too personal. I understand wanting to really load up and blow somebody out of the water (a certain elderly gentleman from a state that rhymes with Threw Fork comes to mind ), but take it to PM's if it gets really bad. Or, hell, exchange addresses and duke it out in the front yard. Sell tickets to it, maybe you'll make it big on YouTube.

And so we come back to Michael Vick. I'm leaning towards Mallen's point of view here. If you look at a lot of rapists and thugs, you'll see that the majority of them started by abusing and torturing animals, then graduated to people once they got bored with that. I'm not saying that Vick would've eventually gone on to rape/beat/murder somebody, but you can see the correlation between animal abuse and abuse of another person. It's a very, very deep character flaw that will manifest itself somehow...his way was in dog fighting. Somebody else might pull the wings off butterflies, and somebody else might abduct someone off the street and kill them in a basement.

I don't want him back in the NFL for the simple reason that many, many children, plus a lot of adults, look up to NFL quarterbacks as role models and heroes. Whenever there's a backyard football game, is there ever a fight over who gets to be the center, or the running back, or the tight end? No, everybody wants to be QUARTERBACK. Putting him back in the leadership role of an NFL team tells everybody that "Ok, he messed up, and he's a sick person, but it's ok. He's got talent, so we're going to overlook his bloodthirsty tendencies because we think he'll make us a lot of money." You've already got a bunch of these 22 year old KIDS making millions a year, with free rein to do pretty much anything they want. There are all kinds of stories about these young, talented NFL players that spend tens of thousands of dollars on party nights at the club, or buy an $80,000 sports car and wrap it around a telephone pole, or get into a fight with police when they're pulled over for doing 70 in a 35. They all have a God complex, where they think that "Anything I do is fine, because I'm a football player, I'm a hero, I make $____ million a year, I'm KING!" But all they really are is a kid with too much money, too high of an opinion of themselves, and no common sense.

So that's my $.02 It's probably worth exactly what you paid for it, but there it is.
Old 08-17-09, 10:07 PM   #59
1/4 stick

Those Farrah and Cowboys Cheerleader posters should be inducted as national treasures in my opinion. They brought many a boy into manhood.
Old 08-17-09, 10:18 PM   #60
DonaldBreland

The funny thing is mississippi Boy is I some what agree to what your saying. But. I think to be a true role model you have to over come adversity. What he did was wrong and we all agree with that. Should he not be forgiven for what he did? So if someone makes a mistake in life they shouldnt get a second chance? I am not saying that rapist or murders should be given a second chance in our community. I am saying that I dont think for one minute he would be out there killing people. I dont think hes that sick. Let me ask you one question? Do you like Roy Jones Jr. He is/was big into cock fighting and admitted it on national T.V but never went through the crap Mike is going through. He did his time. Believe what you want but he regrets what he did. Time will only tell how much he regrets it though. personally I dont like him as a player. I think he stinks. I just think people judge people entirely too much.
Old 08-17-09, 10:22 PM   #61
nofearengineer

I think none of us KNOWS what Michael Vick feels. whether he is going to man up and become a better person. He's out, they decided he can play again, and that's that. We can only hope he is going to make something of himself other than a spoiled, degenerate millionaire. I wish him well, but I'm not gonna hold my breath either.
Old 08-17-09, 10:24 PM   #62
DonaldBreland

I will agree to that nofear. We shouldnt be so quick to judge people. I mean look at our president people judged him but hes the best one we had in years.
Old 08-17-09, 10:26 PM   #63
DonaldBreland

Okay I'm messing with you on the President thing. This is a forum. We will all disagree sometimes. But we shouldn't act like immature brats when someone does not have the same views. That's why i look the way I look and you look the way you look. because we are different.
Old 08-17-09, 10:28 PM   #64
nofearengineer

Holy Smokes, Donald! You almost opened up the hornet's nest with that one! ROFL. Now go to bed!
Old 08-17-09, 10:30 PM   #65
DonaldBreland

lol nofear
Old 08-17-09, 10:52 PM   #66
1/4 stick

Quote:
Holy Smokes, Donald! You almost opened up the hornet's nest with that one! ROFL. Now go to bed!
I dern near passed out from disbelief.
Old 08-17-09, 11:18 PM   #67
bcklash

Quote:

Leave Leon out of it, he won me $1000.00 with that allstar play.

I have lived 15 minutes from Va Tech for over 40 yrs. I've seen football players come and go and Vick is the best athlete i've ever seen, but not a great qb. He can run and that's about it. His passing sucks and I know at Tech they really had to have a simple game plan, because he wasn't to bright.
Old 08-18-09, 12:54 AM   #68
cassidyta

I think that there is a mistaken concept that forgiveness means that someone deserves a second chance. He committed a crime, wqs convicted of a felony and served his sentence. Can he be forgiven, sure. But why does that mean he should also get a second chance at football?
Other than mayor of D.C. I can not name another profession where it works like that.
I do not endorse harassing him or camping out on his yard, but I equally do not endorse buying a jersey.

Also, as Redskins fan, I love the Lett play!
Old 08-18-09, 02:09 AM   #69
DonaldBreland

Now that,Cassidyta I Agree with. I wasn't talking about he deserves a second chance at football. I was speaking as a person. I think before he got reinstated he should have to donate all his for his first year to a charity. Then he should have to slowly gain our trust back in him.
Old 08-18-09, 09:48 AM   #70
WaffleJaw

Quote:

Damn right they are!!!
no more jessica simpson!!!!

sorry,ya'll can go back to hugging and making up,lol
Old 08-18-09, 10:06 AM   #71
bcklash

Quote:

They don't stand a chance as long has Jerry Jones is their "coach"
Old 08-18-09, 10:38 AM   #72
doc

Glad I missed this thread for a few days. I don't condone what the man did, I love my dog he is a part of the family, but because those are my views doesn't mean those are everyone elses views. If we were talking about pigs would this argument be as heated? Pigs are smarter than dogs, and some people love them and raise them as housepets. It is an animal just like a dog, why can we kill one and not the other? because it's what acceptable in our culture. Look at dogs and cats in china their on the menu, should we put all chinease people in jail?

Just because you believe a certain way everyone does not have to reform to your beliefs, thats the great thing about this free country. And thank god because if peta had its way we would all be eating vegies only. The man served his time, (more time than some rapists and drug dealers get, which was the main point of my first post.) If someone will sign him then yes he deserves to play again.

Ill say it again, I do not support cruelty to animals, but they are not people and a person should not be held to the same standards for killing an animal that they are for harming a human. Dogs, cats, pigs, horses, chickens, cows, turtles, and snakes are all animals that some people eat and others have for pets. To say that everyone that kills one deserves jail time is well "PETA CRAZY" FOLKS. We have all seen the peta picture of the dog with the hook in his mouth denouncing fishing, just think if that was the mainstream in our culture, and we were all criminals who would go to jail with murders, rapists, and drug dealers for doing what we thought was just sport to an animal.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 10:42 AM   #73
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
hey now bcklash,they stood a chance in 1971,77,92 & 93 ,95

i think they're due for another one..........yea Im optimistic,lol

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 08-18-09 at 11:41 AM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 11:32 AM   #74
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Everybody got to bust a fella's dreams. Well I got news for ya, Been dreaming about being kidnapped by their cheerleaders for years. Aint happened yet, but I refuse to give up hope!

rofl
Old 08-18-09, 11:33 AM   #75
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
hey now bcklash,they should a chance in 1971,77,92 & 93 ,95

i think they're due for another one..........yea Im optimistic,lol
Amen brutha!!! Keep da faith alive!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.