Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-11, 03:27 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Effect of Tornados on Alabama Event

Just doing my usual over-thinking thing.

I hope you Alabama guys can tell us...

Are we still good to go for the get together?

I assume the area we are going didn't get hit too bad. If I'm wrong...

Should we be there if there are issues with power outages, fuel shortages, etc?

Not being there, I have no idea what to expect and what areas exactly got damaged.
Old 04-28-11, 03:38 PM   #2
WTL

Having not heard anything about the area, I assume we're on for the get together. I would have heard I think had the cabins/elgin/dam area been affected. They did shut down the nuke plant on the wheeler flats as a precaution.

PS, when you get here, spend money. The local economy is gonna need it.

Last edited by WTL; 04-28-11 at 04:20 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-11, 06:53 PM   #3
bamabassman

i agree with billy on this one bryce. things are getting cleaned up as i type. they will have everything back in order i think by the time of the event pal.
Old 04-29-11, 07:11 PM   #4
keithdog

All I know is when we all get down there those bass are gonna find out what a real storm is all about! Time to put the whoop a** on ole bucket mouth AND bronzback.
Old 05-02-11, 01:29 PM   #5
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Update: we're still on. Bama called them today, and they said we're good to go.
Old 05-03-11, 09:15 AM   #6
bassboogieman

What the heck would NFE care anyway? After Douglas Lake last year - he'll fish anything, anywhere, anytime. Dang the torpedoes - full speed ahead! Better add another $100 to your fuel budget though. Last week my 4 days at the Potomac, which is only 125 miles away, cost us $300 for gas in the truck and boat. Wheeler will easily be $500 in gas alone for me, and that SUCKS!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 09:45 AM   #7
nofearengineer

Douglas Lake? Um.....what is that?

I had $400 budgeted for gas ($300 for the tank, $100 for the boat). At the rate it's going, I might have to make it a full McKinley.
Old 05-03-11, 01:13 PM   #8
Wishing2BFishing

Bruce,

Are you going to this event? Please post some pics . . . . I need to live vicariously through others since the pending divorce and work are sucking up my time.

Good luck to ya'.

Wishing2BFishing
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 03:08 PM   #9
MississippiBoy

MapQuest says it's 281 miles from here to the cabins. If I average 13 mpg, I can make that on 1 tank. So a tank there and a tank back, some driving around while I'm there, plus 49 (ouch) gallons for the boat...my pocketbook is going to be mighty slim when I get home...
Old 05-03-11, 04:34 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Well, it's about 275 miles for me each way...total of 550 miles. Towing at 13-14 mpg, I figure 40 gallons at $4.25/gal = $170. I'm going to go fish Guntersville and Pickwick too, so I'm probably closer to $300 after I factor in "hey, let's check that out!" and wrong turns.

My Opti eats 9 gallons ($40ish) per hour at WOT, so I have this little feeling that I will be using at least $100 in gas for the boat. I'm going to put 20 gallons in her to start and see what happens. I have never filled up my 41 gallon tank.
Old 05-03-11, 04:39 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

We're looking at about 600 miles one way...

BB
Old 05-03-11, 05:44 PM   #12
nobass

right nowe gas is 385 t0 390 in nashville which is 175 miles ffrom wheeler. with all the. damage in ala you may want to fill up there before heading in to ala. yea the gas is going to eat up alot of my budget on this trip.
Old 05-03-11, 06:04 PM   #13
bamabassman

well fellas, we are at around $3.63-$3.70 here in bama. so your wallet might be better off on oyur way home. i'll try to find out what it is at wheeler. that is IF i can get someone to tell me something, tried to call today at the cabin rental, STILL no answer. but i can get through to the lodge fine. we'll see........i hope. here where there was a LOT of damage, the price and availability of gas is still good. most all power has been restored. heard today that there were less than 16,000 home swith out power. this is form over 1 million 3 days ago. so in short, things are gonna be great in 2 weeks time.

one thing we NEED is to know WHAT the fish are doing. these cold fronts (went from 75 to 52 in 2 hrs today) are doing to the fish. some are on bed, otheres off, others in limbo i think. a warming trend is coming after this front today. so if ya'll would put out some ears and see what you can come up with.
Old 05-03-11, 07:58 PM   #14
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well fellas, we are at around $3.63-$3.70 here in bama. so your wallet might be better off on oyur way home. i'll try to find out what it is at wheeler. that is IF i can get someone to tell me something, tried to call today at the cabin rental, STILL no answer. but i can get through to the lodge fine. we'll see........i hope. here where there was a LOT of damage, the price and availability of gas is still good. most all power has been restored. heard today that there were less than 16,000 home swith out power. this is form over 1 million 3 days ago. so in short, things are gonna be great in 2 weeks time.

one thing we NEED is to know WHAT the fish are doing. these cold fronts (went from 75 to 52 in 2 hrs today) are doing to the fish. some are on bed, otheres off, others in limbo i think. a warming trend is coming after this front today. so if ya'll would put out some ears and see what you can come up with.
Hey John, any chance you can send me about 40 gallons for the trip down??? It's $4.35 a gal here. The cold fronts are a real pain here too and I suspect they are the reason for the goofy fishin going on around here. Tonight, they are calling for a low in the lower 30's with heavy frost by morning. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Alabama, here I come!!!
Old 05-03-11, 11:05 PM   #15
bamabassman

hahahaha, wish i could keith.

and yeah, gonna hit bout mid 30's here tonight. this is a crazy weather year for sure.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.