Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-06, 05:27 PM   #1
freebirdz
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Top 10 Big Bass Lakes and Guides......

Hi everybody. I've posted this on some other forums also to try to get everyones opinions. Hopefully you guys can help me.

I've never caught a 10lb + bass (my biggest is 6lb 12oz) and have made it a goal to catch one before I'm 30 (I'm 27 1/2 now). In order to speed up the process I was hoping that you guys could help me out.

I live in California and I want to put myself in the best possible big bass catching situation before I even cast my line. This is where you can help.

Please give me your Top 5-10 Big Bass Lakes in California and the best guide for each lake. I can't wait to see your responses!
freebirdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 06:31 PM   #2
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thatīs not a difficult one, check the records of the lakes, Casitas, Castaic, Miramar and Dixon are the top four and most fish over 10 pounds come from out of them. In fact, most fish weighting more than 15 pounds come from those four. Which guide ? I have no idea.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 07:24 PM   #3
freebirdz
BassFishin.Com Member

Where can I check the records at?

Freebirdz
Old 04-24-06, 07:53 PM   #4
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul
Thatīs not a difficult one, check the records of the lakes, Casitas, Castaic, Miramar and Dixon are the top four and most fish over 10 pounds come from out of them. In fact, most fish weighting more than 15 pounds come from those four. Which guide ? I have no idea.
exactly wat i would say
Old 04-24-06, 07:54 PM   #5
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i dont know in mags. mostly.try rainbow trout swimbaits
Old 04-24-06, 10:02 PM   #6
bassguy2004
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Here is a few:

Castaic
Casitas
Dixon
Otay
Clear Lake
Lake Perris
the Delta
Lake Berryessa
and there are many others now that are kicking out really big fish. So, now all you have to do is choose. Good luck.
Old 04-25-06, 12:17 PM   #7
Raul

I forgot to mention, before you grab your stuff and head to the like like a bat out of hell ready to fish: many of those lakes not open to the public all week long, there are days when they are closed to the public, check before you jump all over them.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 02:42 PM   #8
youngbassman77

Lake New Melones, Lake Camanche, Berryessa, Clear Lake, and of course the Delta are my favorite places to fish for bass... Im not sure about guides... Check out this site, hope it helps...

http://www.1fghp.com/ca.html#Delta

~YBM
youngbassman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 04:02 PM   #9
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

We've really gotten a few more western anglers on here in the past few months. I remember when I posted that interactive map a while back an we had nobody from west of San Antonio. Its good to have a better geographical balance.

I wish I could answer the question that was posed, but truth is these folks know more than I do about california.
Old 04-25-06, 04:07 PM   #10
Deacon

Hey Free where do you live in the state that would help dial in where you should go. I agree with all the reccomendations that the guys here have given. I think that they have left out a few lakes. But as I said it depends on where you live....

As far as guides and lakes here would be my suggestion......

If you want Clear Lake there are only a few choices I would reccomend....

Richard Pounds
Andy "Cooch" Cuccia(by far the BEST guide in the California. He is the MAN when it comes to jig fishin)
If you want to learn night fishin on Clear Lake try Larry Hemphill(another awesome guide)

The Delta....
Andy "Cooch" Cuccia
Bobby Barrack(He helped invent the Snagproof Perfect Frog)
Both of these guys are the leading guides on the Delta.

Lake Berryessa...
Larry Hemphill

Another hidden gem we have up in Northern Cali would be Trinity Lake. Huge smallies(5-6lbrs). Also a great LM fishery as well. You can catch 50-100 fish at this place on a good day. The guide of choice would be John Grey.

As far as down in SoCal unfortunatly I really cant help you out to much....

Try going here and this site will be able to really help you make a good decision.... www.westernbass.com

I hope this helps and Good Luck!
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-06, 02:45 AM   #11
freebirdz
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys for your help!

I live in NorCal (near Sacramento). Went to Rancho Seco today without a guide and threw a swimbait for about 6 hours straight....No luck. Anybody have any tips for catching a big bass at seco with a swimbait?

I chose seco because it is the closest to my house.

Jerod

Last edited by freebirdz; 04-26-06 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-26-06, 06:25 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Freebirds
Welcome to the forum. As far as the question on who and where I would definatley check with the local bait shops. A lot of times you can get good info after you wade through the bs.
Old 04-26-06, 11:58 AM   #13
Gunny BBS
BassFishin.Com Member

I lived in SoCal for over 12 years while stationed on Camp Pendleton, all the lakes listed above are a good chance to catch a 10 + fish, but don't forget Lake Hodges (I have 4 over 10 from that lake, and they do not stock trout in Hodges), Lake Wolford (This is a big bass lake!!!!) Lake Murray, Lake Jennings, and the next one you will hear about is just as small as Dixon and that's Lake Poway. It's a cookie cutter of Lake Dixon, and Mike Long, Dickerson and those guys go back and forth between Dixon and Poway. You'er small lakes like Dixon, Poway, are open daily, the bigger lake are only open a few days a week. A new big lake that has some hugh fish is Diamond Valley! Now if you live in NorCal and go to Castisac I would stay in the Lower Lagoon instead of the upper lake.
PRO's Soft~Bait Glue
Cooks Go to Tackle Systems
HeavyCover.com
Gary Yamamoto Cust Baits

Gunny BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-06, 04:43 PM   #14
Bass Ackwards

Man I use to fish and swimming Rancho Seco when I was a kid, I'm surprised that I could have kids and I don't glow.
Bass Ackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 09:38 PM   #15
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdz
Hi everybody. I've posted this on some other forums also to try to get everyones opinions. Hopefully you guys can help me.

I've never caught a 10lb + bass (my biggest is 6lb 12oz) and have made it a goal to catch one before I'm 30 (I'm 27 1/2 now). In order to speed up the process I was hoping that you guys could help me out.

I live in California and I want to put myself in the best possible big bass catching situation before I even cast my line. This is where you can help.
Yeah move to FLORIDA

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.